VA-Tech - SEC Expansion

It is coming and VA-Tech will be 15 sooner rather than later.

Clay Travis nails it again. He really is on top of conference expansion more so than any other journalist out there and has been from the start

Here is the article (not sure if already posted). The fact the support from the fanbase is building means it is going to happen IMO.

http://outkickthecoverage.com/virginia-tech-fans-have-sec-fever.php

I'm going on record now to say that teams 15 and 16 will be UNC and Va Tech.  This entire thing is driven by tv markets and improving the SEC's academic image, not necessarily football.  These schools accomplish the goals mentioned AND bring a decent football product.  No brainer to me.  Just get it done already!!  Oh and somebody tell the Hokies and Tar Heels to tighten their chinstraps!!!

WOW! I guess I should have clicked the link before I made such a "BOLD" prediction. LOL!  I now realize that my prediction is pretty much exactly what CT was saying in his article.  Oh well I've been saying it for a while now, so it's good to know someone agrees w/ me I guess.

This is not to disrespect Tiger n Miami or Clay Travis but I doubt Va. Tech to the SEC happens anytime soon.  The only way Va. Tech comes to the SEC is if Frank Beamer is gone. He has said numerous times if Va. Tech goes to the SEC the Hokies will have to find a new coach. If Beamer were not the coach they would likely already be in the SEC.

I'm going on record now to say that teams 15 and 16 will be UNC and Va Tech.  This entire thing is driven by tv markets and improving the SEC's academic image, not necessarily football.  These schools accomplish the goals mentioned AND bring a decent football product.  No brainer to me.  Just get it done already!!  Oh and somebody tell the Hokies and Tar Heels to tighten their chinstraps!!!

The chances are slim that UNC will leave Duke behind to join the SEC. Even though they are the team i want if the SEC goes to 16 it's just not going to happen. The next best scenario and much more likely scenario from a market standpoint is NC State

The chances are slim that UNC will leave Duke behind to join the SEC. Even though they are the team i want if the SEC goes to 16 it's just not going to happen. The next best scenario and much more likely scenario from a market standpoint is NC State

I know that Mizzou wasn't a popular choice to begin with and that Slive isn't exactly interested in what WE want, but I can't see the SEC fans welcoming NC State.  Might happen, just won't be pretty.  I say in that state, we either get UNC or focus on another tv market.

I know that Mizzou wasn't a popular choice to begin with and that Slive isn't exactly interested in what WE want, but I can't see the SEC fans welcoming NC State.  Might happen, just won't be pretty.  I say in that state, we either get UNC or focus on another tv market.

Well Carolina is the only tv market left in the South the SEC does not have cable or satelite syndicates. Whether the fans accept NC State or not is not relevent. The Pack make the most realistic sense from a market stanpoint. Now if you really want to think outside the box and hit a home run get Notre Dame in the SEC. Indiana is only 1 state above Kentucky and II would love to see the SEC steal the Irish from an inevitable move into the BIG 10. I would laugh my butt off.

ND wants no part of the SEC.

Yeah. I know. It would be funny to hear Big 10 gripe and moan about it though.

EDIT: Sorry for the late night mistake Mods.

Yeah. I know. It would be funny to hear Big 10 to B***h and moan about it though.

Some momentary fun is not worth long term having.

The bIG whatever, can keep them if they can catch them.

I think you may be correct, I doubt UNC leaves Duke behind.  Basketball will dictate what happens with UNC, IMO.

I think you may be correct, I doubt UNC leaves Duke behind.   Basketball will dictate what happens with UNC, IMO.

I agree, I don't think Wake Forest, Duke, or UNC would sacrifice their basketball (and for that matter, academics) to come to the SEC. As some others have pointed out already, I think it is NC State or nothing for the state of North Carolina.

Too many great teams could bring the SEC back to middle of the pack as we take each other out every year. That being said NC St would probably be a good pick up all around as far as adding another middle of the road team and picking up a new TV market.

I would love to have VT, but I could care less about any of the NC teams.

As far as Indiana is concerned. Hell no! to ND. Alabama fans have a big enough head for the whole SEC we don't need ND fans as well. If your going to take a team from Indiana I would steel Perdue from the BIG 10 before I would even concider ND. Nevermind that statement, I wouldn't even concider ND at all. they can rot in Northbend for all I care.

Thankfully

But ND and Vandy would be a heck of a football rivalry! (insert sarcasm here)

The only CFB team that lives in the past more than Bama is ND.....

Well Carolina is the only tv market left in the South the SEC does not have cable or satelite syndicates. Whether the fans accept NC State or not is not relevent. The Pack make the most realistic sense from a market stanpoint. Now if you really want to think outside the box and hit a home run get Notre Dame in the SEC. Indiana is only 1 state above Kentucky and II would love to see the SEC steal the Irish from an inevitable move into the BIG 10. I would laugh my butt off.

I agree with Ellitor, UNC will not leave the ACC. They are the Power of the ACC. Basketball rules the ACC which by the way is a major problem for that conference. UNC and Duke hold all the power. With college footbal seeing HUGE TV revenue now, this screws the ACC. That is why many schools in the ACC that do not rely on Basketball are being rumored to be leaving. UNC will not come to the SEC, but NC State may have an interest. Not that I think this is a particularly great move on our part.

I do not see North Carolina being in a separate conference than Duke. Basketball too them is like football too most in the SEC. It would be the same as separating Auburn and alabama because the three biggest American rivalries in the United States in my opinion are Auburn/Alabama football, Duke/North Carolina basketball and the Yankees/Red sox baseball. No way UNC is not affiliated with Duke, will never happen and would be a travesty to sports... 

I wouldn't be surprised if the SEC adds 2 final teams. My guess we'll add Virginia Tech and N. C. State.

But if the SEC wanted to beef up our basketball programs, the SEC could add Duke instead of N. C. State.

But if the SEC wanted to beef up our basketball programs, the SEC could add Duke instead of N. C. State.

What I said about UNC holds true for Duke. My Blue Devils are not going to leave UNC behind for the SEC.

Haven't ever heard this. If there's alot waving in your face you'll follow it. Look at West Virginia going over tothe Big 12.

Haven't ever heard this. If there's alot waving in your face you'll follow it. Look at West Virginia going over tothe Big 12.

Yes but there was nothing holding WVU to the Big Least. Trust me. UNC and Duke are not going anywhere.

VT and NCSt are the most likely options for sure.

Assuming ^^^ is true, do you all think that these are the smartest/best choices for the SEC?

VT and NCSt are the most likely options for sure.

Assuming ^^^ is true, do you all think that these are the smartest/best choices for the SEC?

From a financial stand point yes. Adding the Virginia, DC, and North Carolina markets means each SEC team will likely be getting over $80 million a year in SEC payouts by the mid 20s.

Archived