VA-Tech - SEC Expansion

I would be very angry to see the SEC add N.C. State they are average at everything. Culturally I think they would fit in alright but that is about it. I understand to stay on top we gotta keep that $ coming in, but I would be really disappointed if N.C. State joined our conference.

I would be very angry to see the SEC add N.C. State they are average at everything. Culturally I think they would fit in alright but that is about it. I understand to stay on top we gotta keep that $ coming in, but I would be really disappointed if N.C. State joined our conference.

Well the only other realistic option in that untapped North Carolina market is Wake but they would not get as much of the State IMO as NC State in terms of cable packages .

Well the only other realistic option in that untapped North Carolina market is Wake but they would not get as much of the State IMO as NC State in terms of cable packages .

Yeah I know it is bound to happen but I still hate to see it happen and occasionally need to vent about it. I just hate this mindset of taking one team from as many states as possible, it waters down not only the quality of the SEC brand but the tradition of our conference. I just wish the people that make these decisions nation wide would realize they are headed down a path that ruins the college football we know and love.

Haven't ever heard this. If there's alot waving in your face you'll follow it. Look at West Virginia going over tothe Big 12.

Yes but there was nothing holding WVU to the Big Least. Trust me. UNC and Duke are not going anywhere.

I agree - there will be no splitting up 'Tobacco Road' - they love they are tops in basketball and couldn't give a rats rear end about football.

If NC State and Va Tech joined the SEC what do y'all think the divisions would look like then? The simplest thing to do would just be to move Mizzou to the West to make it:

EAST

UGA

USC

UF

NC State

Va Tech

Kentucky

Vandy

Tennessee

WEST

Auburn

UAT

Miss St

Ole Miss

TAMU

Mizzou

Arkansas

LSU

i'd assume that's how the divisions would line up. The DC and NC markets are the next natural expansion. The problem is Duke and UNC aren't going to leave each other or the basketball aspects of the ACC. East Carolina and Wake Forest aren't big enough draws. That leaves NCSt as the NC market partner. Culturally they do fit well with the other schools as well. The DC market could go to VT or Maryland, but I think VT is a better fit geographically, competitively, culturally, and just my personal preference.

I wish we could get two of either Georgia Tech, Clemson, or FSU. But either way I'll love seeing teams poached from the ACC since they've been raiding other conferences for years.

I wish we could get two of either Georgia Tech, Clemson, or FSU. But either way I'll love seeing teams poached from the ACC since they've been raiding other conferences for years.

It's much more likely2 of those 3 teams go to the Big 12. If the Big 12 ever expands to 14 or 16 I can see all 3 in the Big 12.

It's much more likely2 of those 3 teams go to the Big 12. If the Big 12 ever expands to 14 or 16 I can see all 3 in the Big 12.

Do we have conferences poised to expand to 16 at a moments notice if need be?

the big 12 and sec would go to 16 if need be. Not sure if the B1G and Pac want to go that way, but would if needed. The problem with the Pac is who would they add?

Good question. They have most of the major market areas in the west. I guess they could go after the Dallas and Houston markets with SMU and Houston. Or I could se them try to work something out with the Big 12 to get TCU if the Big 12 gets FSU, Ga. Tech, Clemson, BYU, and Lousville, or Cincinnatti

From a resident of the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill 'triangle', NC State seems a better fit for the SEC than either UNC or Duke.  OTher than the fact that it is located in a decent-sized city, it has a lot of similarities to Auburn: land-grant university, good engineering college, good vet and agricultural schools, (somewhat looked down upon by more 'elitist' institutions in the state).

If NC State and Va Tech joined the SEC what do y'all think the divisions would look like then? The simplest thing to do would just be to move Mizzou to the West to make it:

EAST

UGA

USC

UF

NC State

Va Tech

Kentucky

Vandy

Tennessee

WEST

Auburn

UAT

Miss St

Ole Miss

TAMU

Mizzou

Arkansas

LSU

If these are how the divisions played out.....the East looks really weak. The West would be a even harder than it is now.

the big 12 and sec would go to 16 if need be. Not sure if the B1G and Pac want to go that way, but would if needed. The problem with the Pac is who would they add?

Good question. They have most of the major market areas in the west. I guess they could go after the Dallas and Houston markets with SMU and Houston. Or I could se them try to work something out with the Big 12 to get TCU if the Big 12 gets FSU, Ga. Tech, Clemson, BYU, and Lousville, or Cincinnatti

Since the Big East isn't likely to be around in any significant form for much longer, I'd say the Pac-12 may go after Boise, Air Force, and BYU if they want to keep the conference geographically coherent. Or, if they place enough weight on $>quality then San Diego St may come into play.

Since the Big East isn't likely to be around in any significant form for much longer, I'd say the Pac-12 may go after Boise, Air Force, and BYU if they want to keep the conference geographically coherent. Or, if they place enough weight on $>quality then San Diego St may come into play.

The problem with all those teams you mention is none of them add anything significant to the market value of the Pac 12 because the Pac 12 is already in those market areas.

Archived