Sammy Watkins Suspended for First 2 Games

AUCrete

Our defense will be good but we're talking about the first game of the season with guys playing in the first year of the defense against a team that had like a top 5 offense.  They have an offense that was like ours in 2010.  Any mistake a defense might do could give up points, not just first downs.  There are bound to be some mistakes by our defense in the secondary in the first game.  Safeties making calls and whatnot.  You hesitate you may be able to make up some ground against the other wr's not against watkins.  I wish he didn't give himself a record and I hope he learns from his mistakes but if he doesn't play I'm happy. 

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I very easily could be mistaken here but the real match up to watch is our d-line versus their across the board relatively new O-line. An outside skill player can hurt you when all else is equal but I think out D-line is going to cause some real problems for them. Could be wrong, often am, so, we'll see. I say with or without him, AU will be the better team that day!

I very easily could be mistaken here but the real match up to watch is our d-line versus their across the board relatively new O-line. An outside skill player can hurt you when all else is equal but I think out D-line is going to cause some real problems for them.

Agreed. Their O-line might be talented, but it is inexperienced, especially against a team with the best pure defensive end in the SEC. Auburn should own the line of scrimmage on defense and we might be able to control it on offense as well considering the losses on CU's D-line. That's where this game will be decided.

Ryan

I don't want anything to do with Watkins, I want to win this game and anything that can contribute to making it an easier task is all the better.

Well, my hunch is, smart money is on him playing in that game but thats just me.

2010 we played UGA their o line sucked but Aj greene ate us up. Arky have had a good offense for a while but their oline hasn't been great.  When jay cutler played for vandy their o line was horrible.  First thing people bring up about UT the last couple of years was their o line sucked.  People keep bringing the o line d line thing up and yes it's a big factor but if the qb wr combo is dominant enough it will still hurt you.  If he plays of course we can still win but just because we have the better o line d line match up doesn't mean he won't matter.

AJ Greene ate us up? One would think after reading your post that UGa won that game. The other team is going to make some plays. The object is to make more than them. In your Cutler scenario, unless I miss my guess, Auburn wasn't exactly a world beater when Cutler eked out a win versus Auburn which was what 14 -13? Auubrn wasn't very good at that time but I dont even remember jay Cutler and I seriously doubt he was the reason Auburn lost. Auburn put up a palty 13 points. Giving up 14 is not a crime and should've been a game winning defensive effort. We'll see, but if an opposing QB doesn't have time to even set his feet(see barrett trotter most of the time last year) his effectiveness will be extremely limited.

Yes he ate us up.  He had 9 catches for 164 yards and 2 td's.  Yeah we won the game because in a shoot out who was going to outscore us that year?  I wasn't just saying look at Cutler's game against Auburn I was saying look at his career at Vandy period.  Trotter had trouble yes but he's not as good as Boyd.  We're not playing Trotter.  They are the one's with the explosive offense.  One big play could cost the game.  Like I said yes I agree a disruptive D-line can cause all types of problems and would help tremendously but I don't think it's logical to say it will wipe out Watkins all together.  It's not as easy as we have a better o line they have no chance

Yes he ate us up.  He had 9 catches for 164 yards and 2 td's.  Yeah we won the game because in a shoot out who was going to outscore us that year?  I wasn't just saying look at Cutler's game against Auburn I was saying look at his career at Vandy period.  Trotter had trouble yes but he's not as good as Boyd.  We're not playing Trotter.  They are the one's with the explosive offense.  One big play could cost the game.  Like I said yes I agree a disruptive D-line can cause all types of problems and would help tremendously but I don't think it's logical to say it will wipe out Watkins all together.  It's not as easy as we have a better o line they have no chance

Let me tell you something, if Boyd faces similar pressure that Trotter did his results will be similar. A QB's performance and/or how good he is can not be rated in a vacuum. You seem to have missed my point altogether but carry on.

No I see what you're saying but I don't agree with it.  I'd be the first to say o-line had troubles but far too many times did Trotter roll out of the pocket for absolutely no reason.  Many times the o-line formed a pocket for Trotter and all he needed to do was step up and he chose not to.  So yes Boyd had a better o-line but they weren't that good and I doubt if there are too many qb's period that aren't good when everything is working out for them but it's the guys who do well when things are going bad that make you good.  (See Cam in the NFL) but anyway if everything was equal Trotter isn't as good as Boyd.  But I'll do like you said and carry on and I guess you can do the same

Dude, I want him out and their whole team have the flu! Coaches dont call each other and say "Johnny hurt his ankle who are you gonna take out to make it even?"

It really doesn't matter if he is there or not...with the defense we will have this year I dont think it would matter if they had an NFL offense...Auburns defense is going to be scary good.

:dunno:

Some of you guys KILL ME! What makes you think our D is gonna be so awsome? Did you see them play last year? Let me remind you, WE SUCKED! 79th in points against. Bama was 1st! LSU was 2nd! Ya know who played in the NC game?

At what point last year did you say "These guys are world beaters!" NEVER.

"Oh but we got exp now and young talent!"  Lol, exp in being 79th in points against!

Our "Experienced Guys" are experienced at not being good!

Bama, LSU, Arky,Vandy,fla kentucky, EVERYBODY IN THE SEC PROVED harder to score on then us except Ol Miss

NOBODY has improved untill they do it on the field.

It really doesn't matter if he is there or not...with the defense we will have this year I dont think it would matter if they had an NFL offense...Auburns defense is going to be scary good.

Some of you guys KILL ME! What makes you think our D is gonna be so awsome? Did you see them play last year? Let me remind you, WE SUCKED! 79th in points against. Bama was 1st! LSU was 2nd! Ya know who played in the NC game?

"Oh but we got exp now and young talent!"  Lol, exp in being 79th in points against!

Bama, LSU, Arky,Vandy,fla kentucky, EVERYBODY IN THE SEC PROVED harder to score on then us except Ol Miss

God bless Ol Miss.  LOL

Call me a pessimist, But I bet your butt those #s was put in sombodies ear on the coaching staff last year.

You know, I said the exact same thing about Auburn's 93 team. Coming off back 2 seasons in a row that were .500 or worse I told my partner who is always the optimist about Auburn that our players just weren't any good as evidenced by the 2 preceding campaigns of horrible football. The 1993 team went undefeated. Not saying we're looking at another '93 kind of year but the value of exprience in this league simply cannot be underestimated nor discounted. I dont know if we win more games this year or not but Im willing to bet a tidy sum that our defense will be vastly improved.

You know, I said the exact same thing about Auburn's 93 team. Coming off back 2 seasons in a row that were .500 or worse I told my partner who is always the optimist about Auburn that our players just weren't any good as evidenced by the 2 preceding campaigns of horrible football. The 1993 team went undefeated. Not saying we're looking at another '93 kind of year but the value of exprience in this league simply cannot be underestimated nor discounted. I dont know if we win more games this year or not but Im willing to bet a tidy sum that our defense will be vastly improved.

I can see that, and I bet your azz we do improve. How do you coach at auburn and not improve from 79th or even get worse? without the hot seat?

I know Virginia was not a world beater last year, but I think we turned a corner against them, especially on special teams. We have one of the best punters in the country and the best onside kicker in the country. The defense will be much improved also.  If I have to eat crow, I hope that it has hot sauce on it!  Sammy Watkins is an excellent player and I think we are talented enough to give him a run for his money.

I agree. It's almost like when Roof got canned it all suddenly got better. :partey: But your right, I think UV was a little over rated.

How about you?  I'm going with the old "I don't want any excuses" argument when we beat Clemp.

That's only because you don't have to cover or tackle him....    ;)

He had his best game of the season against AU secondary.........of course his QB had time enough to drink a cup of coffee on pass plays  ;)

We all knew there was no way dumbo was going to hold him out against us. The guy is a great receiver. We just need to figure out a way to slow him down. I say put Gabe at safety on the first series and give him a few shots at sammy. That should slow him up into next week.

• 3 weeks later...

OOOOOOoooooooohhhhhhh, big surprise there.  Dabo "might" let him play.  :rolleyes:   :-X

Dabo is dumb, but not dumb enough to sit his star player durring a game that could make or break his programs success in continued recruiting and his season.

Did anyone really expect him not to play? It will not save Clemson from the ass whopin they have coming from Auburn but it might make it look a little less bad.

For Watkins not to play he would have to be incarcerated and even then Dabo would try to get him out on some sort of work release program.

Archived