Sammy Watkins Suspended for First 2 Games

AUCrete

Did anyone really expect him not to play? It will not save Clemson from the ass whopin they have coming from Auburn but it might make it look a little less bad.

I disagree. If we beat them the way I know we are capable of (especially if they come in as cocky as I expect them to), then it'll look all the worse if they don't have the excuse of not having their most dynamic player on the field.

But you're right, I never expected him to sit.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For Watkins not to play he would have to be incarcerated and even then Dabo would try to get him out on some sort of work release program.

:laugh:  ^^THIS^^

For Watkins not to play he would have to be incarcerated and even then Dabo would try to get him out on some sort of work release program.

I can see it now:

Dabo: "Coach Stallings, I did it just the way you taught me, but Sammie got in trouble again and now he's in the detention center..."

Stallings: "Don't worry, m'boy. Coach Bryant had this happen to him a couple of times back when I was an assistant, before he started winning titles, too. What you do is slip the police chief a sizable sum of money, then explain that you need him on the field doing what you paid him to do. That sets you up for the long haul, as well, because after that you won't have to worry, since the chief will already know you'll take care of him as long as he takes care of your boys..."

:laugh:

I say let him play.  Our best men against their best men and may the best team win.  I want zero excuses when AU whips their butts in front of the whole country on national TV in tha Dome!!! :aufb:

Is he doin summer camp with the team? If so he is gonna play.

Sry guys, not all programs run like Auburn. College football is a big money business. He will play.

Dabo is gonna say he payed his dues over the summer. Who didnt know this?

He would be a fool not to play the boy.

I say let him play.  Our best men against their best men and may the best team win.  I want zero excuses when AU whips their butts in front of the whole country on national TV in tha Dome!!! :aufb:

We would be much better off with him on the sideline.

just sayin...

I couldn't care less what others use as excuses...I seem to still hear folks say that the only reason we won the MNC in 2010 was only because we had Cam.  If Watkins doesn't play, then I won't lose one minute of sleep worrying about what other fans say, re: excuses.  If we win, its a W...if we lose, its an L...no matter who plays in the game.

I personally don't care whether he plays or not. He's one guy. I mean I realize that he is really good but he isn't Cam. He can't beat us by himself. We will be way too much for Clemson in the opener.

Let him play.  We just need our DL to wreak havoc on Boyd.  Watkins will never see the deep ball if that happens.

The problem with last year was that we couldn't get ANY pressure on Boyd. It was him who burned us. Not Watkins. Look what happened to Clemson later in the year when defenses threw aggressive blitzes at them--Boyd was grounded and their offense stalled. Pressuring Boyd is the key to winning.

OOOOOOoooooooohhhhhhh, big surprise there.  Dabo "might" let him play.  :rolleyes:   :-X

Dabo is dumb, but not dumb enough to sit his star player durring a game that could make or break his programs success in continued recruiting and his season.

Did anyone really expect him not to play? It will not save Clemson from the ass whopin they have coming from Auburn but it might make it look a little less bad.

Certainly wasn't the consensus for most of the history of this thread. Seemed inevitable.

I personally don't care whether he plays or not. He's one guy. I mean I realize that he is really good but he isn't Cam. He can't beat us by himself. We will be way too much for Clemson in the opener.

Even Mr. Newton would have been hard-pressed to beat a team (even Clemson) by himself

Let him play.  We just need our DL to wreak havoc on Boyd.  Watkins will never see the deep ball if that happens.

WDE

This game is about winning, I would prefer if Watkins sits due to both my desire to win and I think he should get punished.

Suspending a player has more to do with team chemistry and keeping control. Dabo's job is first and foremost to win. Even at schools like Notre Dame that pride themselves on graduation rates and grades, people like Tyrone Willingham get fired for not winning. If Dabo feels like he can keep his team and Sammy under control without a suspension, there is no reason to suspend him. These coaches aren't paid millions to build men, they are paid millions to win games and don't kid yourselves by thinking anything differently.

Dyer for instance was not kicked off the team for smoking or being caught a few times, he was kicked out once he started being trouble in the locker room and the team chemistry

This game is about winning, I would prefer if Watkins sits due to both my desire to win and I think he should get punished.

Suspending a player has more to do with team chemistry and keeping control. Dabo's job is first and foremost to win. Even at schools like Notre Dame that pride themselves on graduation rates and grades, people like Tyrone Willingham get fired for not winning. If Dabo feels like he can keep his team and Sammy under control without a suspension, there is no reason to suspend him. These coaches aren't paid millions to build men, they are paid millions to win games and don't kid yourselves by thinking anything differently.

Dyer for instance was not kicked off the team for smoking or being caught a few times, he was kicked out once he started being trouble in the locker room and the team chemistry

Well that,  AND he kept on tokin too.  :-X

Saban told Dabo to let him play. It's not about teaching a kid a lesson. "Heck fire boys we got games to win."   

If that were truly Saban, you need to amend your quote to read "Expletive, Expletive you expletive, expletive, expletives, we got expletive games to expletive win".

Suspending a player has more to do with team chemistry and keeping control. Dabo's job is first and foremost to win.

Well, with Robert Nkemdiche demanding a scholly for his teammate, and Watkins getting away with what he's done with no suspension, Dabo will soon have a situation like Urban Cryer had at UF, aka out of control.  Dabo also doesn't have the credentials to move on like Cryer did. 

Sacrificing 2 or 3 scholarships (2 that are to 3 stars so not a horrible thing to swallow) just to get the current consensus #1 player in the country is not so hard to do if your Clemson. That press has been huge for them attracting attention of a number of top recruits in 2013 and 2014 as well as solidifying them as a player. While I would keep a muzzle on his prize, I think that it is easily worth the trade off.

Sacrificing 2 or 3 scholarships (2 that are to 3 stars so not a horrible thing to swallow) just to get the current consensus #1 player in the country is not so hard to do if your Clemson. That press has been huge for them attracting attention of a number of top recruits in 2013 and 2014 as well as solidifying them as a player. While I would keep a muzzle on his prize, I think that it is easily worth the trade off.

Are you suggesting Watkins is the consensus #1 player in the country?

That was clearly in response to the above post about Dabo giving scholarships to RN's teammates not Sammy Watkins.

Watkins will play. We just need to DWI. Ford and Lemon will be sacking Tahj before he has the chance to throw it to Sammy anyways

That was clearly in response to the above post about Dabo giving scholarships to RN's teammates not Sammy Watkins.

Aha. Sorry, when I clicked "New", it took me directly to your post; I didn't look back up. Apologies. And I do agree with that assertion.

Justin Hokanson‏@JHokanson

Just now on EYES ON AUBURN, @aimclemson on Sammy Watkins suspension: "My gut feeling...I'm thinking it could be a half or three quarters."

@aimclemson is a Clemson writer for the Anderson Independent-Mail.

My gut feeling is Dabo is gutless and will not suspend him at all. Dabo doesn't have the stones to do what he should. Never has, never will.

@BMatt247: RT @GeneralLOHD: Shocker RT @travis_sawchik: Dabo Swinney said there's 'a chance' Sammy Watkins could play against Auburn in the opener.

My gut feeling is Dabo is gutless and will not suspend him at all. Dabo doesn't have the stones to do what he should. Never has, never will.

@BMatt247: RT @GeneralLOHD: Shocker RT @travis_sawchik: Dabo Swinney said there's 'a chance' Sammy Watkins could play against Auburn in the opener.

He's playing. If he is already saying that he is playing. IMO.

Archived