Sammy Watkins Suspended for First 2 Games

AUCrete

Joel A. Erickson ‏@wareagleextra

RT @RoyPhilpott: Pending Board of Trustees approval, Clemson's Sammy Watkins will be suspended the first two games of the 2012 season.

Isn't letting the board of trustees have control over your football program part of what got Auburn in trouble several years ago?

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is great  news IMO. I know a lot on here want to see their best player, but I just say it helps our chances.  :wareagle:

This is great  news IMO. I know a lot on here want to see their best player, but I just say it helps our chances.  :wareagle:

It just gives them one less excuse once our boys kick their butts if he plays. Also, I actually would like to see our best corner defend an elite receiver just to see where we stand on that front.

But I definitely agree it helps any team playing Clemson when you take Sammy Watkins out of the equation.

I'm still not convinced he'll sit.

I agree red, but Dabo is now saying this was his decision, nobody else's.   If so, he gained a little respect for it.

But he is just so full of bammer...translation: you can't trust what yaba daba says.

Clemson does things with Watkins they don't do with their other receivers.  You don't prepare for Watkins; you prepare for a Clemson team that HAS Watkins.  Which is a more demanding task.

Exactly right. Don't be surprised if this is just a tactic by DaboBabo to try to get AU to prepare a game plan for a no Watkins Clemson and then have him run out there. The AU Coaches aren't going to fall for that.

If Watkins plays after making this Dabo makes this statement, no one will EVER respect him again. I admit that I don't like Dabo much but I would like to give him a little bump for having what it takes to sit Sammy.

I agree red, but Dabo is now saying this was his decision, nobody else's.   If so, he gained a little respect for it.

That I will agree with. If Watkins does sit, and if Dabo doesn't use it as an excuse for getting beaten (provided that we do in fact win the game), then I will have more respect for him. I just remember all too well when Saban played...DJ Hall, I think, during the second half after announcing that he would be suspended for one game against some sisters of the poor team that was posing a far greater threat than they should have. That might have even been the LA Monroe game, but I don't really remember.

Well I just say the interview with our Therezie and Watkins may want to sit the AU game out.  :laugh:  Therezie sounds like a man with something to prove concerning his CB skills this year.  Watkins might be the first of many victims.

Well I just say the interview with our Therezie and Watkins may want to sit the AU game out.  :laugh:  Therezie sounds like a man with something to prove concerning his CB skills this year.  Watkins might be the first of many victims.

Please post link?

Sammy Watkins will play against us...

I really doubt it. It's one thing for Saban to change a one game suspension to half a game, but IMO there is NO WAY that a TWO game suspension would turn into a suspension of less than ONE game.

I agree red, but Dabo is now saying this was his decision, nobody else's.   If so, he gained a little respect for it.

I read that too... do you believe it?  I don't, just a day or so ago he was playing this 'he might play against Auburn, he might not' game in an interview.  Now he is saying he was always going to be suspended for some early games, that it was just a matter of whether it would be for two games or four games.

I think Swinney was trying to get Watkins off of any suspension punishment or at least get it pushed back from the Auburn game and hoping he could, but couldn't. I thought I read where the Clemson board of trustees got involved in the suspension decision. Keep in mind that this is on the heels of the PSU sanctions... just saying coaches may not have the power they once had.

Please post link?

This is the real reason Watkins is sitting out against AU.  ;)

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised for Dabo to change the suspension status a day or two before the game, claiming something about Watkins having done whatever he needed to do to get back on the field. Or maybe another receiver will mysteriously get hurt, and in order not to punish the whole team, he'll play Watkins. Bottom line is that I'm not going to trust anything until I see it happen...

I live in upstate SC and the word is that Dabo wasn't going to suspend Sammie for the game and the board of trustees met and forced him to take action.  Sammie might have sat out but it was not going to be against AU.  Thank God the Clemson board has more class than the Clemson coach.

I live in upstate SC and the word is that Dabo wasn't going to suspend Sammie for the game and the board of trustees met and forced him to take action.  Sammie might have sat out but it was not going to be against AU.  Thank God the Clemson board has more class than the Clemson coach.

It figures Swinney did not want to suspend him and lost that battle. Can you blame him, Clemson beat us by 2 tds last year and Watkins was worth at least that in that game? I wonder if he took it all the way to the board of trustees? I'm guessing he did.

Archived