Sammy Watkins Suspended for First 2 Games

AUCrete

I think the BOT realized how not suspending SW would cast a negative light on the university. Dabo only cared about beating AU though I doubt he put up much of a fight when the BOT made their ruling.  GIHA and Dabo. :zapbama:

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I told Sammy this past May that there would be a high-end (number of games) and a low-end, and it would be up to him as to the length of his suspension...He has done everything we have asked and then some, so the two-game suspension is the low-end. ~ Dabo Swinney, 8/3/12

Swinney said the Clemson coaching staff had not yet decided the fate of suspended wide receiver Sammy Watkins for the opening game, but added that it wouldn’t affect their approach.

“If Sammy plays, he’s obviously a great player, but if he doesn’t play, we really like the guys we’ve got on our team and have all the confidence in the world that they can get the job done.” ~ Dabo Swinney, 8/2/12

... just saying, if you can't believe Dabo, who can you believe?  :-X

All joking aside, does that mean that Swinney was trying to get the suspension postponed to after the first game?

You know, I haven't seen a quote from anyone at Clemson indicating that the two games he will miss are necessarily the first two of the season. With Ball State and Furman up after Auburn, he could sit those two games, the first two home contests of the year, and still play against us. And maybe that's what Dabo was clearing with the BOT. :dunno:

Again, I won't believe it until I see it.

Well I just say the interview with our Therezie and Watkins may want to sit the AU game out.  :laugh:  Therezie sounds like a man with something to prove concerning his CB skills this year.  Watkins might be the first of many victims.

Please post link?

This is the real reason Watkins is sitting out against AU.  ;)

Or the american badger.bilde?Site=DS&Date=20120804&Category=SPORTS0402&ArtNo=308040031&Ref=AR&MaxW=640&Border=0&Auburn-football-Tigers-expecting-depend-Davis-Junior-cornerback-expects-breakout-year-secondary

You know, I haven't seen a quote from anyone at Clemson indicating that the two games he will miss are necessarily the first two of the season. With Ball State and Furman up after Auburn, he could sit those two games, the first two home contests of the year, and still play against us. And maybe that's what Dabo was clearing with the BOT. :dunno:

Think you are reaching a little here, bud.  An interview with Sammy asks him multiple times about his suspension for the FIRST TWO games. Every media outlet is reporting Sammy as being suspended for the FIRST TWO games. Just because it wasn't quoted by Yabba Dabo doesn't mean much. Sounds like he told someone, somewhere that SW was suspended for the first two games. At least that's what Sammy and the rest of the football world seem to think. Are you seeing black helicopters out your window? I kid, I kid....

Think you are reaching a little here, bud.  An interview with Sammy asks him multiple times about his suspension for the FIRST TWO games. Every media outlet is reporting Sammy as being suspended for the FIRST TWO games. Just because it wasn't quoted by Yabba Dabo doesn't mean much. Sounds like he told someone, somewhere that SW was suspended for the first two games. At least that's what Sammy and the rest of the football world seem to think. Are you seeing black helicopters out your window? I kid, I kid....

And the media would NEVER report something they hadn't verified, would they? :tease:

If it's anything, I don't think it's a conspiracy as much as misdirection. Has Coates actually made any statements about the two games being the first two of the season, or just responded to questions phrased that way? I ask that honestly, because I haven't really kept up with it outside of this thread until I googled the topic. Maybe I am in fact losing it to not put something like that past Swinney, but I'm simply not willing to buy anything that he says at this point.

And the media would NEVER report something they hadn't verified, would they? :tease:

If it's anything, I don't think it's a conspiracy as much as misdirection. Has Coates actually made any statements about the two games being the first two of the season, or just responded to questions phrased that way? I ask that honestly, because I haven't really kept up with it outside of this thread until I googled the topic. Maybe I am in fact losing it to not put something like that past Swinney, but I'm simply not willing to buy anything that he says at this point.

Don't get me wrong, you have a valid reason to not trust Dabo...it looks like the board of trustees had to get involved to hand down punishment for something that should have been cut and dry. However, since they did get involved I just think that it would be more likely that there is not misdirection. It is no longer just the Dabo show...the whole University would look like cheaters and liars if the punishment was not in the first two games.

To answer your question, SW did respond to these questions about missing the first two games, but he never stated himself that the suspension waas for the first two games.

BTW...Sammy WATKINS is the one in trouble here....leave Mr. Coates out of this!  :tease:

Don't get me wrong, you have a valid reason to not trust Dabo...it looks like the board of trustees had to get involved to hand down punishment for something that should have been cut and dry. However, since they did get involved I just think that it would be more likely that there is not misdirection. It is no longer just the Dabo show...the whole University would look like cheaters and liars if the punishment was not in the first two games.

To answer your question, SW did respond to these questions about missing the first two games, but he never stated himself that the suspension waas for the first two games.

BTW...Sammy WATKINS is the one in trouble here....leave Mr. Coates out of this!  :tease:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Oops! I've been getting their names confused since both were recruits. My sincerest apologies to Sammie Coates for that blunder!

I don't know though, that statement about it being for only two games, pending BOT approval, makes me wonder if they were approving the suspension to be two games or if they were approving that it wouldn't have to be the FIRST two games, but rather could be the first two home games. :dunno:

Regardless, I'm not going to believe it until it happens, but I can't help the feeling that Dabo is going to find any and every way around sitting his star player for the Chik-Fil-A Kickoff Classic.

Sammie Watkins suspended for the first two games according to BSPN.

IMHO - When the BOT has to step in and get involved in athletic/player related issues, something is not going too well in the athletic department.  I can't remember ever hearing that the BOT made decisions on individual player issues at a school.  It's obvious that the folks in charge over there don't think to highly or have much faith in Daboo. 

IMHO - When the BOT has to step in and get involved in athletic/player related issues, something is not going too well in the athletic department.  I can't remember ever hearing that the BOT made decisions on individual player issues at a school.  It's obvious that the folks in charge over there don't think to highly or have much faith in Daboo. 

It might be a case of Clemson's board of trustees getting involved because of what the Freeh Report said about PSU's board of trustees.

Saban told Dabo to let him play. It's not about teaching a kid a lesson. "Heck fire boys we got games to win."   

If that were truly Saban, you need to amend your quote to read "Expletive, Expletive you expletive, expletive, expletives, we got expletive games to expletive win".

don't forget a few a'ight's a'ight ;D

"Aww, don't tell me that. We want him to play, because you want the best players on the field," said cornerback T'Sharvan Bell. "I'm kind of upset that you just told me that."

"He had a great season last year," said defensive back Jermaine Whitehead. "He's a great player and I would love to play against him. If he's not playing, that's a sad thing. We wanted to play against the best players and that's a great player."

--http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1286420-auburn-football-tigers-catch-break-with-suspension-of-clemsons-sammy-watkins

Swinney said the Clemson coaching staff had not yet decided the fate of suspended wide receiver Sammy Watkins for the opening game, but added that it wouldn’t affect their approach.

“If Sammy plays, he’s obviously a great player, but if he doesn’t play, we really like the guys we’ve got on our team and have all the confidence in the world that they can get the job done.” ~ Dabo Swinney, 8/2/12

... just saying, if you can't believe Dabo, who can you believe? :-X

All joking aside, does that mean that Swinney was trying to get the suspension postponed to after the first game?

Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! Winner winner, chicken dinner. This is exactly what he was trying to do. Why did he take this (or sit on this decision until it went to) to the board of trustees? To tie it up until perhaps say....after the first game, which happens to be against a tough opponent. It gives him, Sammie, and the University an "out" for playing him in the first game & then the matter of his suspension is mysteriously settled in favor of a 2-game suspension once that game is over. Then he sits for the next 2 opponents which just so happen to be against..........you got it! Ball State & Furman.

Archived