Is Shaq Johnson the best dunker in GA high school history?

gravejd

AJC bolg asking if Shaq is the best dunker in GA high school history. I don't follow basketball closely and I certainly know nothing about high school basketball but I thought the idea of someone playing for Auburn who is at least in the conversation was pretty cool!

http://blogs.ajc.com/recruiting/2012/08/07/is-shaq-johnson-the-best-dunker-in-georgia-hs-history/?cxntfid=blogs_recruiting

While I love the dunks and the blocks I was wondering if anybody had anything on him doing pull up jumpers and regulat jumpers. How good a shooter is he and what type of range does he have. If he has a stroke it make it easier to get dunks as people have to play him for his shot not just stop him from driving.

While I love the dunks and the blocks I was wondering if anybody had anything on him doing pull up jumpers and regulat jumpers. How good a shooter is he and what type of range does he have. If he has a stroke it make it easier to get dunks as people have to play him for his shot not just stop him from driving.

he has an ok shot from what i can tell he has range to the 3 point line. still needs work though

• 3 weeks later...

His highlight tapes show very little jumpshooting/ball handling, which leads me to believe that those aspects of his game are a work in progress. But the tools are there!

if the kid can give us the dynamic play, athleticism, hustle, drive to the basket, defense and rebounding that chris porter did, then i don't really care if he has an outside shot his first couple of years. porter didn't really have a jumper, but his sheer energy made everybody else on the floor better the instant he stepped on the court.

shaq could easily have the same kind of impact. you don't need experience to play with energy and passion ... the athleticism will take care of him the first year.

I've played with Shaq quite a few times since he's been here. He needs to work on his jumper, but there have been days where he shoots it really well. His form is just kinda funny and needs a little work. His handle is ok, but also needs work. You can tell he has always gotten by just relying on his athleticism. He just tries to get into the lane so he can rise above everybody and either dunk or make a tough layup. But, man, the dude can jump out of the gym. It's pretty amazing, because he's really only about 6-3 1/2. He just explodes off the ground. He'll be fun to watch at least. If he learns how to use his physical tools on defense and shores up his offensive game he'll be a really good player.

Archived