Jeff Sentell article in Bham News re Dee Liner

AURandy56

Have any of you read the article written by Jeff Sentell of the Birmingham News that says that AU should revoke the scholarship offer to Dee Liner? He admits in the article that if AU was to do that, a rival BCS school would scoop him up in a heartbeat, on the premise of giving Liner a "second chance." I guess he's saying that AU shouldn't give Liner a "second chance." I don't know if any of us who read these posts know exactly what happened that Liner walked off his team, but, and I could be wrong on this, I don't think he was the only player to walk off the team---just the most high-profile one. I have to think Coach Chizik and the staff are well aware of what happened with Dee Liner that made him walk away from his team, and, apparently, they are still keeping a scholarship available for Mr. Liner. That's good enough for me.

AURandy, my sentiments exactly. I've come to expect nothing more than the trash piece from the Bham fishwrapper. Oddly, where I used to hate Scarbinsky's articles, he seems to be the most impartial of the bunch (at least what's left of the News sportswriters). Another reason to be thankful for a board like AUFamily.

Keep the faith Dee. Walk the straight and narrow path and we'll see you on the Plains next year! WDE!

First time I can recall any of the sports hacks on al.com actually interferring in the recruiting process. Is this even legal? Is it ethical?

This kid is a kid...not an adult, not 18 yet and a newspaper is coming out publically "calling him out" and furthermore, it is trying to inject itself into the recruiting process....essentially to the detriment of AU since the writer acknowledges that other SEC schools would sign him without any quandry at all if AU turned its back on him.

Pondscaum is probably jealous that he did not think of this idea first.

Somebody's lawyer should be on the phone by now demanding an apology.

I am majoring in Journalism, but the more I read these so-called "professional sports writers", the more I am disgusted at the profession. It is really demoralizing to think that these bums actually attended college, received a degree, and seem to have no idea what real journalism is about.

Hell, it sometimes makes me question my decision to pursue journalism. What a sad state that sports journalism is in.

First time I can recall any of the sports hacks on al.com actually interferring in the recruiting process. Is this even legal? Is it ethical?

This kid is a kid...not an adult, not 18 yet and a newspaper is coming out publically "calling him out" and furthermore, it is trying to inject itself into the recruiting process....essentially to the detriment of AU since the writer acknowledges that other SEC schools would sign him without any quandry at all if AU turned its back on him.

Pondscaum is probably jealous that he did not think of this idea first.

Somebody's lawyer should be on the phone by now demanding an apology.

Great question - It's very unethical for a newspaper to call out a minor publically - they are basically trying to damage that kids future by bringing it public - It's 6 months until NSD - AU/Chizik would be crazy to pull the offer right now, IMO. A lot of positive things can happen in 6 months.

I am majoring in Journalism, but the more I read these so-called "professional sports writers", the more I am disgusted at the profession. It is really demoralizing to think that these bums actually attended college, received a degree, and seem to have no idea what real journalism is about.

Hell, it sometimes makes me question my decision to pursue journalism. What a sad state that sports journalism is in.

Don't let the current landscape of sports jouralism deter you from pursuing that field of study. What the profession needs more than anything is an honest, truthful journalist that will write the true without an agenda. You may be the very person needed to get the job done. Stick with it!

That is what keeps me going because an honest and truthful journalist is very rare these days. Too many writers don't just write the facts. It seems that what they call news articles are just op-eds. I have to admit that it doesn't just appear to be sports writers, either.

You are absolutely right, though, and the more negative examples of "journalism" that I read, the more determined I am to make a difference.

The sooner you all give up reading uat controlled papers and such, the happier you will be. We are never going to get a fair shake and I'm sure there are more important things in your life to occupy your time that you can probably change. :)

I suscribed to that paper for years and finally had my fill of it with all the pro UAT garbage and the lack of adequate coverage for AU. My understanding is the Bham News has been cut back to 4 days per week delivery now. Is this any wonder?

MODERATOR: what is the reason for the post count total drop to 1?

The sooner you all give up reading uat controlled papers and such, the happier you will be. We are never going to get a fair shake and I'm sure there are more important things in your life to occupy your time that you can probably change. :)

Spot on!

I wouldn't wrap m fish in that paper, My fish will get crap all over it and a stench that will never wash off.

I am sure the news papers in Alabama would be very quick to write several redemption stories if Auburn dropped DL and bammer offered him.

Without having read the article, I can't assume anything about why he walked out. With a bright future he sure seems to be taking a big gamble to not play for a year and must certainly feel strongly about making such a stand. Should this be the situation, we should be lauding his actions. Seeing as how the coaches have not rescended the offer, I have to assume this is the case. Sounds like a solid AU man to me. Revoke his scholly offer?? BAH!

Archived