TS/Hurricane Issac

Clint

I dont know if any of you are the weather buffs like myself, but Tropical Storm Issac is becoming a very interesting story. As a student currently in Auburn, I'm even more interested in this. Yesterday (Friday), University officials, and officials from the surrounding schools and the City of Auburn were attending an EMA meeting on the possibilty of evacuating campus. Now, yesterday, the possibily was very low. But the more I research this and read and watch radar, the more I think that we may not have classes late next week...

What do you guys think? Maybe one of you actually knows something about all this stuff, rather than me, the amatuer, hobbyist meteorologist...

I too consider myself an amateur meteorologist. I have always loved tracking storms and following weather. I doubt campus would be evacuated for a Category 1 or 2 hurricane. By the time it reaches Auburn, the winds will still be gusting to 60mph and there will be rainfall of 5+ inches over a 24 hour period. Classes very well could be cancelled Thursday and Friday. But this all depends on te track of the storm. Some tracks show it going farther west and some show it going east. East would be better as that would put Auburn on the weaker side of the storm. Either way Central Alabama is going to get alot of rain Thursday and Friday. It also could affect travel to Atlanta for the ballgame.

The general consensus down here on the coast is that it's going to make landfall somewhere in an area from Biloxi to New Orleans, then continue into the Western TN Valley area. Could have some implications for USCe/Vandy Thursday night. I think Auburn should be fine as far as campus goes. The forecast keeps getting shifted westward every update...

Yes, the westward shift began last night. It appears that the Biloxi, New Orleans area is pretty accurate at this time. But these things are fickle. I do expect it to strengthen quickly when it gets over the warm open waters of the gulf. This in itself could cause it to change course back to the east again. I don't want to wish it on anyone else, just want it to spare the Fort Morgan area.

They very rarely, in my experience, move eastward once they get over the Gulf...but I agree, I live in Daphne, so sparing Ft Morgan would in turn spare me!

I have a kegerator I'm giving away for work...may have to "field test" it this week for a hurricane party. :drink9:

They very rarely, in my experience, move eastward once they get over the Gulf...but I agree, I live in Daphne, so sparing Ft Morgan would in turn spare me!

I have a kegerator I'm giving away for work...may have to "field test" it this week for a hurricane party. :drink9:

I didn't really mean it would move eastward, I meant it could turn northward and landfall could be farther east than expected.

I didn't really mean it would move eastward, I meant it could turn northward and landfall could be farther east than expected.

Yeah, it's still too early to call. Tomorrow night will give a much better indicator.

Yall be prepared for whatever. My sister lives on the beach on Fort Morgan Road and recently lost her husband. She doesn't need to deal with hurricane damage now. He was a great Auburn Man.

Yall be prepared for whatever. My sister lives on the beach on Fort Morgan Road and recently lost her husband. She doesn't need to deal with hurricane damage now. He was a great Auburn Man.

I was in Ft. Morgan a few weeks ago. Nice long motorcycle ride, then hopped the ferry to Dauphin Island...long ride home.

I dont know if any of you are the weather buffs like myself, but Tropical Storm Issac is becoming a very interesting story. As a student currently in Auburn, I'm even more interested in this. Yesterday (Friday), University officials, and officials from the surrounding schools and the City of Auburn were attending an EMA meeting on the possibilty of evacuating campus. Now, yesterday, the possibily was very low. But the more I research this and read and watch radar, the more I think that we may not have classes late next week...

What do you guys think? Maybe one of you actually knows something about all this stuff, rather than me, the amatuer, hobbyist meteorologist...

Well it is projected to go west so not really a big deal. I hope they learned from Opal!

Yes, the westward shift began last night. It appears that the Biloxi, New Orleans area is pretty accurate at this time. But these things are fickle. I do expect it to strengthen quickly when it gets over the warm open waters of the gulf. This in itself could cause it to change course back to the east again. I don't want to wish it on anyone else, just want it to spare the Fort Morgan area.

May want to add Semmes and your ol buddies house to your wish to spare list :D

May want to add Semmes and your ol buddies house to your wish to spare list :D

Will do buddy, you know it. How's school for momma?

I've been through some pretty bad ones. Not something you can ever get used to. We are as prepared as we can be I guess.

She actually loves her new school. People go out of their way to let you know when you are doing a good job. I know it's nice to be appreciated

That's great. I'm glad she likes it. She deserves a good opportunity with good people.

My sister, her son and his girlfriend are going to ride the hurricane out at his house in Gulf Shores but not on the beach. He has a generator that will run the whole house and bought three days worth of gasoline today. He said if he can find more gas cans tomorrow he is buying more gasoline. I thought I was heading that way to help them load up but she is not taking everything on her list this time, only the things that can't be replaced. She already has a bobcat lined up to remove sand if needed. She is on top of this and she didn't think she could function after her husband died. I'm proud of her.

I don't wish a hurricane on anybody. I never want to see loss of life or loss of things that can not be replaced. That being said, I enjoy a small category hurricane. Lived within 5 miles of the Gulf most of my life and have seen my share. I do not enjoy losing cable and internet though. I hope Texas gets it. All of the rain it will bring will help raise the water table there. Best of luck to all that will be affected by it. God bless!!

We'll be riding it out in Daphne. We're about five miles south of I10 and five miles east of the bay, not too terribly concerned about anything other than power loss and losing 35 pounds of red snapper fillets in the freezer <_<

We have gas in the truck, two Yeti ice chests and four bags of ice for them, and if it looks like it's gonna get worse, mom's in Montgomery and will happily take us in.

I don't mind riding over there and picking up that red snapper. I will keep it real safe for you!

We'll be riding it out in Daphne. We're about five miles south of I10 and five miles east of the bay, not too terribly concerned about anything other than power loss and losing 35 pounds of red snapper fillets in the freezer <_<

We have gas in the truck, two Yeti ice chests and four bags of ice for them, and if it looks like it's gonna get worse, mom's in Montgomery and will happily take us in.

35 pounds?? Holy crap. Share with me will you? :lol:

Ft. Morgan has about 6-8 feet of storm surge as we speak. The water level is up on the beach about 60 yards from the normal water line.

the hwy 98 Causeway is underwater, but that happens during a good summer storm. So far everything's kosher in Daphne...just breezy

Archived