Having a new OC and DC will be a plus for the next 2 weeks.

aushrink

I was chatting with a friend yesterday and he (miss state grad) said that we are going to only win one of the first 4 games. His reasoning was that lsu and arky are just better than Auburn and clempson and miss state have been working all offseason preparing for their games with Auburn.

I asked him...preparing for what? They have no idea what offense or defense we are running. We have tons of talent, with young guys beating out starters for positions (nosa eguae for example).

I realized that the fact are: We have new looks on both sides of the ball, Coach is saying almost nothing to the media, our practices are closed, etc.

I think that clempson has no idea what is coming and the bullies will only have one day (sunday because we play sat night) to look and film and put in a game plan before mondays practice.

I am feeling good about a strong start. (except for dismukes and his immaturity)

Hard to prepare for the Defense since BVG was in the NFL but I guess you could use it as a coach to scheme. In the end I don't think they will target any one player and will just run their offense. So possible advantage there.

You can watch plenty of film to see what CSL will deploy on O or at least enough to be prepared.

Their coaching staff needs to prepare for us as an Unnamed team to squash any memory or what we did in 2012.

1st qtr will be key as the previous starters for Clemson make adjustments.

Last line of your post was inappropriate no need to keep bashing dismukes, As a family we need to move on and think about the positive instead of keeping the negative in all of our minds. Yes you can comment but in the end did it add value to your post or was it just a rant? I have done the same this is just friendly advice from a family member :idea: (AU Family)

So we will beat ULM and that is it? Arky is 5th game, until we play Saturday I would think any preseason predication can be 1-4 or 4-1 because we can win most/all of our first 5 games or lose most/all of them. There are just as many unknowns for the teams we play as with our team. 2011 shouldn't be the barometer for any team

Related subject, I'm always amazed at how much, relatively speaking, other SEC fans (like your Miss St friend) obsess over Auburn. I mean folks that barely pay attention to their own favorite team will dismissively say "Bama's D will be great" but wax eloquent about Auburn's early schedule, Dyer leaving, 1/2 of the Cam Newton saga, folks jumping pool fences, blah, blah blah. I guess it's good to be a lightning rod in the sports world?

Last line of your post was inappropriate no need to keep bashing dismukes, As a family we need to move on and think about the positive instead of keeping the negative in all of our minds. Yes you can comment but in the end did it add value to your post or was it just a rant? I have done the same this is just friendly advice from a family member :idea: (AU Family)

I appreciate the criticism of my remark. I did not intend to bash him, but he is one of only two players (other is dyer) that I have been disappointed in so far.

I do not worry about the recruits trouble (liner or lawson) , our coaches have not had a chance to work with them yet.

I do not worry about zeke because he was so new to the program.

I do not worry about fringe players like D-lo because they are usually the ones who get in trouble anyway. (probably because they are bored not being the superstar like they were in high school).

In summary, I was very confident in a 10 win season this year. Dismukes was a crushing blow to me because I thought he was more mature than that. I have made for worse mistakes than him, so I am not judging him at all. It is just that so many people are depending on him and he needs to grow up quicker.

Again, thanks for the criticism!

War Eagle!

The mind of a M-state fan works like this.

Starting at the bottom of the SEC west end of the 2011 season - OleMiss - MState - Auburn - Arkansas - Updyke Community College - LSU

Auburn is the next ring on the ladder to work their up the SEC west food chain. They think that they can beat us because they almost did last year. M-State and others think that the 2011 team is how Auburn normally is and the 2010 season what just because of CAM. They don't talk about losing 36 players from the 2010 team and still getting 8 wins the next season. I would like to see another team lose 36 players and come back the next year and win 8 games. They don't talk about how all of our sophomores, juniors, and seniors all have game experience probably more than any other team in college football. We have a strong recruiting class coming including transfers and redshirts that are ready to play. We have more talent and more experience than MState we should win this game.

To: aushrink

You might want to tone down your expectations because 18 to 22 year olds are gonna be 18 to 22 year olds. Anyone who expected ten wins last year was a bit overly optimistic to say the least. This year's squad will be much improved. That improvement, however, may not translate into more victories. 2013 and beyond are looking very good and we all can be optimistic about the years to come.

WAR EAGLE!!

You might want to tone down your expectations because 18 to 22 year olds are gonna be 18 to 22 year olds. Anyone who expected ten wins last year was a bit overly optimistic to say the least. This year's squad will be much improved. That improvement, however, may not translate into more victories. 2013 and beyond are looking very good and we all can be optimistic about the years to come.

WAR EAGLE!!

I think this is what we have to keep in mind. We may or may not have more victories than last year (could have less) but we will be improved. We have some glaring deficiencies on our team which will improve as the year goes on. I don't think new coordinators is an advantage in the fact they are new. In fact the newness of the OC could be a disadvantage at the start of the year. New system, new QB, new coordinator equals consevative game plan. In my opionion our OC is unproven at this level of competition as on OC. DC is a different story. He has done at all levels. As stated above, expectations should be high for 2013 and beyond.

Yet another thread about how our inexperiance in a new system is gonna be such a huge Plus for Auburn.

No Clemson does not know what to expect. Neither do we. Im thinking alot of false starts, Missed assignment probs. bad alignment problems. alot of delay of game and wasted time outs. And KF running for his life.

These are the things you see when your have a inexperianced o line with a first time starting QB and center all under a new unproven OC.

I hope Im wrong, but it doesnt look like a plus to me.

Maybe Stat can break down Auburn's records when changing both O & D coordinators. I know this will vary greatly with the experience they come in with on the team, but I don't think it is that big of negative/positive. There will be some first game hiccups and issues, but I hope the new coaches and players can manage to adapt without looking like they've never played football before. We are talking about pretty talented atheletes and coaches that have played and coached this game most of their lives. Like Kunde says the calls change, some of the blocking schemes change, but it is still basically the same.

I have been thinking the same thing myself. As long as our guys understand their assignments, I think it is a plus. Yes there will be some mistakes, but every team makes mistakes early in the season. Teams not having any idea what our O AND D will look like is a HUGE plus IMO.

Yet another thread about how our inexperience in a new system is gonna be such a huge Plus for Auburn.

No Clemson does not know what to expect. Neither do we. Im thinking a lot of false starts, Missed assignment probs. bad alignment problems. a lot of delay of game and wasted time outs. And KF running for his life.

These are the things you see when your have a inexperienced o line with a first time starting QB and center all under a new unproven OC.

I hope I'm wrong, but it doesn't look like a plus to me.

I agree. Games are usually won and lost based on execution. It's harder to execute new schemes.

Geez, some of these posts make it sound like we shouldn't even attempt playing a team the caliber of clempsun!!!

I try not to be a sunshine pumper, and to keep things in perspective, but I think this team will be more prepared than most are expecting. Coach Chizik remembers last year. I'm sure he remembers the pain in his gut, watching Daboo make a fool of himself after the game, gushing over a "bammer boy" ending the winning streak. Sure, we don't have a team like 2010, very heavy on seniors, with 4 years experience across the board. What most people don't remember is that the 2010 team wasn't supposed to be that good. They over-achieved by a mile, and won it all. Cam played a big part of that, but I do not feel that he was the sole reason we were the best team in the country that year. The team believed in each other, and picked each other up at every opportunity. I get this same vibe from this team. They have spent an entire off-season hearing how bad they will be. Hearing that we will finish in the bottom of the SEC. Hearing that our best players are gone from this team. Hearing that we have two new coordinators, and that there is no way our guys can learn new systems in time for this year. That's a lot of chips on the shoulders of our guys. Chips that they are itching to knock off, and to prove the "experts" that Auburn will contend for the SEC West. That we will not back down from the Arky's, LSU's, USCe's, the UGA's, or the bammers. Football is won on the field, not in the papers. I am holding out the hope that our boys are ready, and will knock the purple out of clempsun, and move on to knock the delusions out of Mrs. State.

War Eagle!!!

Geez, some of these posts make it sound like we shouldn't even attempt playing a team the caliber of clempsun!!!

I try not to be a sunshine pumper, and to keep things in perspective, but I think this team will be more prepared than most are expecting. Coach Chizik remembers last year. I'm sure he remembers the pain in his gut, watching Daboo make a fool of himself after the game, gushing over a "bammer boy" ending the winning streak. Sure, we don't have a team like 2010, very heavy on seniors, with 4 years experience across the board. What most people don't remember is that the 2010 team wasn't supposed to be that good. They over-achieved by a mile, and won it all. Cam played a big part of that, but I do not feel that he was the sole reason we were the best team in the country that year. The team believed in each other, and picked each other up at every opportunity. I get this same vibe from this team. They have spent an entire off-season hearing how bad they will be. Hearing that we will finish in the bottom of the SEC. Hearing that our best players are gone from this team. Hearing that we have two new coordinators, and that there is no way our guys can learn new systems in time for this year. That's a lot of chips on the shoulders of our guys. Chips that they are itching to knock off, and to prove the "experts" that Auburn will contend for the SEC West. That we will not back down from the Arky's, LSU's, USCe's, the UGA's, or the bammers. Football is won on the field, not in the papers. I am holding out the hope that our boys are ready, and will knock the purple out of clempsun, and move on to knock the delusions out of Mrs. State.

War Eagle!!!

I don't think anyone is saying we will not be prepared or should play. I just don't think have new coordinators will be an advantage just because they are new. It is not as if the teams we are playing won't have a clue about us. They know our personnel and they know the track records of our coordinators. I believe our opponents will be prepared. I just think that we play close to the vest on offense to reduce/limit mistakes.

That said, I will disagree with 2010 be overachievers. That team was excellent. You don't win 14 games by being overachievers. You do it by being the best team on the field week in week out. Yes Cam was a superstar, but most great teams have a super star, otherwise they are only good teams.

War Eagle!!!

I don't think anyone is saying we will not be prepared or should play. I just don't think have new coordinators will be an advantage just because they are new. It is not as if the teams we are playing won't have a clue about us. They know our personnel and they know the track records of our coordinators. I believe our opponents will be prepared. I just think that we play close to the vest on offense to reduce/limit mistakes.

That said, I will disagree with 2010 be overachievers. That team was excellent. You don't win 14 games by being overachievers. You do it by being the best team on the field week in week out. Yes Cam was a superstar, but most great teams have a super star, otherwise they are only good teams.

That team had an excellent record - that team did not play excellent football. The AU 2004 team had and excellent record AND played excellent football. Apples and oranges - ended up with the same result ======> undefeated!!!!

I of all people , well maybe besides the players and coaches want us to crush Clemson.

Do I want us to beat Clemson? HELL YEAH!

Is it gonna be easy? HELL NO!

Any way you look at it last years 3rd string QB starting in his first game under a center he has had limited staps with with a brand new OC is in no way helpful.

Honest, Would you feel a little better if CGM was running the O?

This is not a "digg" on CSL but I think our boys would be better "intuned" with a guy they have played for before and someone who had been an OC before.

WAR EAGLE!!

I am very optomistic about the next few years but i predicted 10 wins for this year NOT last year. Just wanted to clarify.

I see much more confidence in Coach Chizik this year versus the same time last year. Who could possibly argue that? Guys this bunch is going to be good this year and much better next year! My expectations are high............. and our schedule sets up nicely. The most improvement is between the first and second games. We match up well with Clemson and a tough SEC road game after improvement......looks good to me. Rest some starters the next game and go all out against LSU. I like it!

You never know what you are going to get with a new OC. For every Al Borges(2004) or Gus Malzahn(2009) season, there's a Tony Franklin(2008) or Hugh Nall(2003)

Here's hoping CSL is more of the former and less of the latter.

WAR EAGLE!!

I am very optomistic about the next few years but i predicted 10 wins for this year NOT last year. Just wanted to clarify.

I must have read it wrong. My bad. Either way, it was just conversation........not an argument.

WAR EAGLE!!

The want and the determination of the upperclassmen is what will set the tone for the team early and throughout the season.

Several guys played on a National Championship team and followed up with a not-so-grand season. Hopefully these will be the ones who take control of the attitude and motivation of the team and lead the rest to improvement.

You can't teach leadership.

That is what I am looking for Saturday night. A leader will rally the troops in tough times and keep after it when it counts. If you have ever experienced it at any level of ball, playing or coaching. You know what it is and you can see it in the eyes of the players.

CBVG and CSL know what it is, so does CGC and the staff. They have been teaching schemes and trying to get IT out of the players.

Either way...I'm pulling for the Auburn Tigers.

We will win 9 regular season games (possibly 10) this year I predict. In terms of changing asst. coaches as being a plus, I would say it depends upon who you change.

Brian VanGorder is definitely an upgrade, so I expect the Defense to be much improved. Loeffler is more of an unknown and we all know that Gus has been successful every where he has been. Therefore, offensive improvement is basically an unknown. We have a lot talent on offense and an unreal backfield with OMac, Prosch, Mason, Blakely, and Grant. Loads of talent in our receiving core and tight ends as well. Blake and Lutz are simply awesome!

I do think that the talent will raise our offensive play, but I do worry about an inexperienced Offensive Line. The backfield and wide outs are stacked and once Kiehl gets comfortable as a starter, he has Damien Craig like potential with a larger frame and more talent around him.

The good: Noone will have CSLs tendencies figured out. CBVG should have our D playing at a significantly higher level than the past 3 years.

The bad: Frazier and the O only have about 30 practices under their belt in the CSL offense. Our LBs are still not up to CBVG size/type. All 3 of our starting LB are probably 5'11" and not headhunters.

The unknown: 3 unknowns on the OL, I hope I'm not just buying into the hype of their stars and expecting too much from them. Slade had a pretty rough year last year. We have no idea how Frazier will respond to the pressure or adversity. We don't know if the tackling will have improved...will Bates bounce off Boyd or just miss on a blitz as he's done in years past? Boyd has a bit of size on him. Will our DL buy into their hype too much and get manhandled by a weak Clemson OL?

30 practices is a misnomer, they worked on this offense in the Spring and all SUmmer. Some guys (true freshmen) like Avery Young, may only have 30 practices, but the majority have much more time put in.

You know this is game 1 of the season. The odds, and logic, say that both teams have some missed assignments and execution problems. HOWEVER, if Auburn comes out firing on all cylinders, establishes the running game, Kiehl gets to manage the game, and the D contains their O, WATCH OUT! I won't even speculate on the ceiling for this team if that happens. Not saying it will, but I'm sure hoping for it.

Hard to prepare for the Defense since BVG was in the NFL but I guess you could use it as a coach to scheme. In the end I don't think they will target any one player and will just run their offense. So possible advantage there.

You can watch plenty of film to see what CSL will deploy on O or at least enough to be prepared.

You contradict yourself. If simply watching film of CSL's 2011 Temple offense tells the story of the 2012 AU offense, then simply watching films of BVG's 2011 Atlanta Falcons defense would tell the story of the 2012 AU defense.

The truth is, just like BVG's AU defense will be different from his ATL Falcon defense, because of different head coaches, different leagues, and personnel differences, so will CSL's AU offense be different from his Temple offense. CSL has to adapt his offensive ideas to AU's existing players, existing offensive assistants, and CGC's philosophies.

I would actually say there could be less change on the defensive side. Defensive minded CGC is still the HC. We are still running a 4-3 defense. We do know it will be simpler, and more attacking. The Tampa-2 coverage scheme is likely gone. But the players are CGC's and CTR's recruits. BVG wants bigger LBs, but he has to operate with the smaller LBs CGC and CTR recruited. Over time, the defense will evolve more to what BVG wants.

Likewise, CSL has to adapt his offensive philosophy to AU's existing offensive players. Fortunately, Prosch's transfer, and moving Blake Burgess from TE to FB helps smooth the transition. But CSL's starting FB at Temple was the team's leading receiver. Prosch caught one pass at Illinois. Something will change, either Prosch will catch more passses, or CSL will throw to the FB less. My guess is it will be the latter, and we will see more throws to the TB (especially OMac). That means different plays than Temple, and more challenges for opposing defenses.

Archived