Robenson Therezie changing positions?

bmartin3228

I worship Saban??? :no: But as much as I hate to admit it, his results speak for them self. He didn't cave to Calloway until he started wavering on his commitment, so he said he could have a shot at rb. After that, Saban had to let him have his shot, then moved him right back.

So he gave in to a kid's ultimatum and he wasn't even on the team yet. Yeah, he's a real hardass on players who try to dictate where they want to play. :rolleyes:

If a coach recruits a player for months and months for a certain position, signs to play that position, then after practicing at that position to the point that he's about to start, then wants to change to a completely unrelated position, why does the coach have an obligation to entertain that request? My kid needs me to be a parent, not a friend. This team need coaches and leadership, not friends.

Obligation to entertain the request? No. And no one suggested such so you're boxing a strawman. Hope you win.

Does the coach have the option to entertain the request based on information he's privy to that you're not? Absolutely.

Do you think Therezie gave Chizik an ultimatum, or something close to it? From your posts where you defend against having an unhappy player, I'm thinking you have gave that premise a significant likelihood.

No, I think he made a request. He probably expressed that he wasn't happy on defense, made his case for why he wanted to move and how he could be a good option at the new position. Chizik considered the pros and cons and decided to allow it and yes, having a guy who isn't happy in a slot was probably a factor (not necessarily the deciding one). All things considered, he felt it was a reasonable move.

If Robinson come back, and we get Green, we still two smaller, speedy guys in Mason and Blakely. Why would we need Therezie at RB too?

Because neither Mason nor Blakely have O-Mac's speed to the edge. And by all accounts, Therezie is probably right there with O-Mac for fastest guy on the team.

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I worship Saban??? :no: But as much as I hate to admit it, his results speak for them self. He didn't cave to Calloway until he started wavering on his commitment, so he said he could have a shot at rb. After that, Saban had to let him have his shot, then moved him right back.

So he gave in to a kid's ultimatum and he wasn't even on the team yet. Yeah, he's a real hardass on players who try to dictate where they want to play. :rolleyes:

If a coach recruits a player for months and months for a certain position, signs to play that position, then after practicing at that position to the point that he's about to start, then wants to change to a completely unrelated position, why does the coach have an obligation to entertain that request? My kid needs me to be a parent, not a friend. This team need coaches and leadership, not friends.

Obligation to entertain the request? No. And no one suggested such so you're boxing a strawman. Hope you win.

Does the coach have the option to entertain the request based on information he's privy to that you're not? Absolutely.

Do you think Therezie gave Chizik an ultimatum, or something close to it? From your posts where you defend against having an unhappy player, I'm thinking you have gave that premise a significant likelihood.

No, I think he made a request. He probably expressed that he wasn't happy on defense, made his case for why he wanted to move and how he could be a good option at the new position. Chizik considered the pros and cons and decided to allow it and yes, having a guy who isn't happy in a slot was probably a factor (not necessarily the deciding one). All things considered, he felt it was a reasonable move.

If Robinson come back, and we get Green, we still two smaller, speedy guys in Mason and Blakely. Why would we need Therezie at RB too?

Because neither Mason nor Blakely have O-Mac's speed to the edge. And by all accounts, Therezie is probably right there with O-Mac for fastest guy on the team.

Calloway changed his verbal commitment to Auburn, THEN Saban said he could have a shot at RB. I thought you kept up with this stuff? :-\

I do keep up. Saban gave in to a kid who hasn't played a down of college football. Based on your edicts for how real coaches handle it, he should have told him he can play defense for Alabama or to eff off and enjoy Auburn. It completely undermines your theory on how everyone except Chizik apparently handles situations where you see a kid in one position and he doesn't want to play there.

This is from fall, he was first string corner, as mentioned previously.

http://auburn.rivals...&tid=&mid=&rid=

There are other articles out there and even post practice videos indicating the same. E and 23 are correct on this issue.

Exactly ab04! Why do you people continue to question E and 23? I don't get it. Show me where they have stated something as fact and they we're wrong. I'm not saying that all their guesses or opinions are true but these two have proven they know what they are doing.

:ucrazy:

I'd like to thank mcdover for reminding me to ignore his posts. This thread reads much faster that way.

Mikey, if you still check this, my primary point is, he lost traction at CB when he was injured. No other reason. He didn't have a full week of practice for the opener, which means there was no way he was playing that spot, even if he was the best CB on the team. Then, the following week he requests a move to RB.

What that says to me is, this is a guy that could have been integrated into the starting lineup at some point this season. I suppose you could call him a reserve DB, but I think that's a little misleading since, this season, he was actually never available as a defensive back. My impression is, he would've been inserted into the rotation with an eye toward taking over the spot he held for most of the off-season. He just short-circuited that possibility by requesting a move to the place he felt most passionate about, and the coaches didn't fight him on it because they don't fight anyone when a guy makes it clear that he doesn't want to play a particular position.

I do keep up. Saban gave in to a kid who hasn't played a down of college football. Based on your edicts for how real coaches handle it, he should have told him he can play defense for Alabama or to eff off and enjoy Auburn. It completely undermines your theory on how everyone except Chizik apparently handles situations where you see a kid in one position and he doesn't want to play there.

He offered him a carrot to get him on the roster and kept his word. Did Chizik offer RT a shot at rb during his recruitment? Considering Therezie changed positions mid-week before the SEC opener, I highly doubt it. Sound like Therezie gave coach an ultimatum, and from his quotes of "It's my decision." and "It's final." , it also sounds like Therezie was calling the shots.

He offered him a carrot to get him on the roster and kept his word. Did Chizik offer RT a shot at rb during his recruitment? Considering Therezie changed positions mid-week before the SEC opener, I highly doubt it. Sound like Therezie gave coach an ultimatum, and from his quotes of "It's my decision." and "It's final." , it also sounds like Therezie was calling the shots.

And perhaps rather than just cut a kid loose who has speed and talent, Chizik is offering RT a carrot...a shot to see if he can make an impact at the position he really wants. There's nothing to say that if RT falls down the depth chart and changes his mind that Chizik couldn't move him back. You can try to split those hairs and make it different if you want, but it's simply not credible.

The bottom line is, you're overstating this and doing so with precious few facts.

And perhaps rather than just cut a kid loose who has speed and talent, Chizik is offering RT a carrot...a shot to see if he can make an impact at the position he really wants. There's nothing to say that if RT falls down the depth chart and changes his mind that Chizik couldn't move him back. You can try to split those hairs and make it different if you want, but it's simply not credible.

The bottom line is, you're overstating this and doing so with precious few facts.

Another thing: how much experience do you have in the journalism world, McDover? Because I've been there and done that, and modern "journalists" shape their questions, and often ask those questions multiple times in different forms, to get the most provocative answers possible and get people like you stirred up. Just like how Lache Seastrunk was manipulated into talking about how much he liked Auburn back before the BCS National Championship Game against Oregon. It's very possible that Therezie was asked point blank whether it was his decision or if the coaches pushed him to make the move, in which case either answer could be taken to mean more than it actually does. At the end of the day, this is the way it is, and both the player and the coaches seem fine with it. Why aren't you?

According to Therezie himself he wanted this to happen. I actually believe him.

But, his comment doesn't matter. It's what others think he should do.

The ignore feature on mcdover is worthless because every post by others has his quotes in it. The best way would be for everybody to really ignore him and not reply to his posts.

Thanks

I'd like to thank mcdover for reminding me to ignore his posts. This thread reads much faster that way.

Mikey, if you still check this, my primary point is, he lost traction at CB when he was injured. No other reason. He didn't have a full week of practice for the opener, which means there was no way he was playing that spot, even if he was the best CB on the team. Then, the following week he requests a move to RB.

What that says to me is, this is a guy that could have been integrated into the starting lineup at some point this season. I suppose you could call him a reserve DB, but I think that's a little misleading since, this season, he was actually never available as a defensive back. My impression is, he would've been inserted into the rotation with an eye toward taking over the spot he held for most of the off-season. He just short-circuited that possibility by requesting a move to the place he felt most passionate about, and the coaches didn't fight him on it because they don't fight anyone when a guy makes it clear that he doesn't want to play a particular position.

If what you are saying is true, then the players are calling the shots, and this team is lost. Football is all about discipline, and following the chain of command, just like the military. I appreciate Coach Chizik wanting to give these kids a chance, and be their friend, but that is just not how football is played. The head coach calls the shots. He also takes all the heat and criticism. If players are changing positions on their own terms, the situation within our program is much worse than I thought. If RT wanted to play running back, Chizik and Luper should have tried him out during the spring. If he was good enough to be a RB, have him do voluntary workouts with the offense during the summer, and play RB for all of fall camp. This way, he would be prepared and ready to run the ball this season. Switching at this point in the season screams of RT demanding that he get his way, and this sends a message to the entire team that if you don't like how things are going, just do what you want to do. Change positions, pick which plays you want to be in for, and which ones you prefer not to run. IF this is how it's going, we are doomed for this season. I really hope it's not.

I think you're mistaken about how most football teams operate.

Who is that directed to? If it is a follow up to my post, does the head coach not call the shots any more? By shots, I don't mean plays. I am referring to decisions that affect the entire team. Moving a talented DB to be a running back should come from the head coach, not the player or one of the position coaches. I admit that I haven't played organized football in many years, but in my day, you didn't question the head coach.

I think you're mistaken about how most football teams operate.

Who is that directed to? If it is a follow up to my post, does the head coach not call the shots any more? By shots, I don't mean plays. I am referring to decisions that affect the entire team. Moving a talented DB to be a running back should come from the head coach, not the player or one of the position coaches. I admit that I haven't played organized football in many years, but in my day, you didn't question the head coach.

50 years ago, head coaches didn't give their players water at practice, at least according to my father's account of playing in high school. With regard to this situation, I think it is far more likely that Therezie approached Coach Chizik and expressed his interest in playing running back, so Chizik considered it and ultimately agreed to give it a shot. Let me point out that just because Therezie said it was a permanent move does not mean that it is such; he might not make much impact there, and Chizik might tell him that if he wants to remain on the football team at Auburn then he has to move back to DB.

It's kinda hard to say what happened, though, when all we have to go on is a couple of snippets given from player to reporter. Looking for problems in everything is a surefire way to make yourself crazy with worry; can we not have even a little faith that our head coach has an idea what he's doing?

This is from fall, he was first string corner, as mentioned previously.

http://auburn.rivals...&tid=&mid=&rid=

There are other articles out there and even post practice videos indicating the same. E and 23 are correct on this issue.

Exactly ab04! Why do you people continue to question E and 23? I don't get it. Show me where they have stated something as fact and they we're wrong. I'm not saying that all their guesses or opinions are true but these two have proven they know what they are doing.

:ucrazy:

I question them because in this case they are dead wrong. They stated that at the time he asked to be moved to RB he was the first string CB. He was not a first string CB on Sept. 2nd, he was a reserve DB, just how deep down the charts is not known. You can't get any more wrong than that.

Archived