Looking at the one more year scenario

coolmello

I guess an argument can be made for one more season (2 years removed from BCS Championship no real home run hire available) but if there is no progress the rest of the way the ax should fall. If we are 1-11 or 2-10 who cares who we bring in it has to be better than that.

it is absurd to fire a coach only 2 years aftet winning it all, i thought. This thing has turnrd worse than anyone could imagine. How does he explain this?(chizik)

Not me. I see no point in going into hibernation for another year. If that happens I will start fishing again.

I haven't stopped...lol

I was listening to the radio today and heard someone mention that they though Chizik would get one more year. So then I got to thinking, what if he did get another year? What would it take that year to prove to either get rid of him or to keep him? Would improving from this year be enough? Well it looks as though it will not take much to improve from this year. How many games would he have to win to keep his job the following year? I dont see us winning the SEC next year (Probably starting to many freshmen/redshirt freshmen). So I dont see a miracle season to keep his job and I cant see us being worst then we are this year. So we would end up with one more year of the same philosophies. I think it would be a no win situation just to save a little money. We really need a new direction and a tougher coach.

I agree. What would be the gauge used to determine if Chizik should get a year past 2013? Would he need to best this year's record (we're all assuming AU will beat NMSt. and Alabama A&M, but A&M is not a bad team this year)--so, would that be 4-8, or 5-9? What if AU went 8-5, like 2011, but lost to the big 4 of Bama, LSU, GA, and ARK, and by as bid of margins, or bigger? How about firing Loeffler and bringing in a new OC? Who would want to risk coming to a position that might only be for a year? You might as well keep "Lefty." And---here it comes---YOUTH and INEXPERIENCE. Our OL will be sophomores and RS freshmen, and the QB could potentially be a true Freshman. Oh hell, wait 'till next year, and we'll be a year older. It's time to cut Chizik loose, and the sooner the better. If we're going to be starting all over, let's do it with a new staff, including Strength and Conditioning.

Good post here. exactly what I was thinking.

Here's my idea. If I'm President Gogue, I meet with Chizik at the end of the season. I ask him what he thinks needs to change to get the program back on track. I tell him to make the necessary changes. I give him another chance while insisting that 2013 shouldn't be regarded as a rebuilding year.

On the day after NSD, I fire JJ and hire an AD who can clean up the athletic dept. and remove the current political infrastructure that persists throughout the program. Auburn doesn't take a hit for firing a coach less than two years after winning a NC and probably retains most of its top ten recruiting class. The new AD hire should reduce the fans' grumbling heading into next year.

If Auburn doesn't improve drastically in 2013, then I let the new AD hire another coach.

Sound reasonable?

reasonable, but I think you're just postponing the firing and losing as additional recruiting class in the process. In today's cf world, perception is reality. If you were an up and coming offensive coordinator, would you come to work for a lame duck coach who has north of a 75% chance of getting canned after your first year? Who would come to Auburn under this coach to take over the offense? I think we will get, at best, a retread or a mediocre OC. Same result, just one year later.

This is exactly right. If CGC remains another year, he will be unable to attract any "name" coaches, and more than likely, the new coaches will be "no-names" or first-timers in major college football who have nothing to lose by rolling the dice to work here.

Auburn has at least two past seasons that compare to this one: 1991 (5 wins 6 losses - Eric Ramsey scandal under Coach Dye) and 2003 (8 wins 5 losses - JetGate under Coach Tuberville). This season resembles 1991 more than it does 2003. The 2003 team had a LOT of high-profile talent and a senior QB returning, so Tuberville managed to lure Al Borges (who probably would not have come if his career hadn't flamed out as HC at Indiana). Regardless of what we do, we have very limited prospects at QB for 2013, and if the OL and DL do not improve (and I have seen no improvement in 2012 over 2011), then there will be more of the same. If CGC survives for another season, the coaches that we'd like to keep long-term will bail early to save themselves the embarrassment of being fired next year.

I was listening to the radio today and heard someone mention that they though Chizik would get one more year. So then I got to thinking, what if he did get another year? What would it take that year to prove to either get rid of him or to keep him? Would improving from this year be enough? Well it looks as though it will not take much to improve from this year. How many games would he have to win to keep his job the following year? I dont see us winning the SEC next year (Probably starting to many freshmen/redshirt freshmen). So I dont see a miracle season to keep his job and I cant see us being worst then we are this year. So we would end up with one more year of the same philosophies. I think it would be a no win situation just to save a little money. We really need a new direction and a tougher coach.

My opinion is that he gets another year ONLY if they can't find the right coach to replace him this year. There is no need to get rid of him if you can't replace him with a quality coach. I don't think Chiz is the long term answer to lead our program, and I think the powers that be know that. It's just a matter of time before he is removed.

In response to the original question: I think we'd need a 10 win regular season next year to keep his job. Second year under both coordinators. 4 top classes of recruits.

What's odd is, I could see it happening. Our O has seemed to move the ball fine, except for the negative plays. If we clean up the play calling and foolish mistakes, I think we could see a complete turnaround. The defense seems to be playing better each week, and I think that will continue as younger, more talented players become more and more confident (see Casanova).

That being said, if we drop the axe, I'm not gonna lose any sleep about it.

Another question to ponder: If we were to lose to A&M and UGA but somehow beat Bama, does CGC keep his job?

If our rivals are rooting for Chizik to be retained (much in the same way any logical Auburn fan was hoping Shula would win juuuust enough to keep his job), then the answer is clear as day. He has to go. And if we go 0-8 in the SEC I can't imagine what the positives are of keeping him. 0-8 isn't acceptable anywhere in the conference, it sure as hell shouldn't be at an upper echelon program like Auburn. Auburn elevated its status by winning the MNC in 2010. Keeping your job after a 0-8 conference season is unfathomable. We still have players that played in the BCSNCG, for crying out loud! Keeping a recruiting class in tact? Sure, it will be great for us to keep them committed/sign with Auburn and not have them goto other SEC powers but there is no evidence that the players will even develop at Auburn to be the studs they can be.

A clean break and starting over is probably the best option, IMO.

As much I hate to say it, Gene needs to leave. If he stays nothing will change and we will not recruit well for 2014 and if he stays we will probably fire him next year so I don't want to waste another season waiting. Arky and Tenn are going to hire new coaches and they will probably create buzz around their program with their new staff and will recruit well and we will not be able to compete with them. Ole Miss will probably out recruit us in 2014 if we keep Gene, it is just how it goes recruiting is a dog eat dog business. If we can put a new staff in place in early December they will be able to focus entirely on recruiting. The new staff will create excitement (I hope) and it will help close out the 2013 class and start to work on the 2014/2015 recruits sooner.

I rather start over now than later, what Auburn needs more than anything in the world is a stable coaching staff for several years. AU has always drove me crazy with all of the OC and DC changes all the time and that will hurt in player development and player position experience and overall team chemistry. Whatever changes are made I hope they stay in place for at least 3-5 years to create a stable winning environment.

As much I hate to say it, Gene needs to leave. If he stays nothing will change and we will not recruit well for 2014 and if he stays we will probably fire him next year so I don't want to waste another season waiting. Arky and Tenn are going to hire new coaches and they will probably create buzz around their program with their new staff and will recruit well and we will not be able to compete with them. Ole Miss will probably out recruit us in 2014 if we keep Gene, it is just how it goes recruiting is a dog eat dog business. If we can put a new staff in place in early December they will be able to focus entirely on recruiting. The new staff will create excitement (I hope) and it will help close out the 2013 class and start to work on the 2014/2015 recruits sooner.

I rather start over now than later, what Auburn needs more than anything in the world is a stable coaching staff for several years. AU has always drove me crazy with all of the OC and DC changes all the time and that will hurt in player development and player position experience and overall team chemistry. Whatever changes are made I hope they stay in place for at least 3-5 years to create a stable winning environment.

What Auburn actually needs more than anything in the world is a competent coaching staff for several years. Competence and results create the stability.

Not me. I see no point in going into hibernation for another year. If that happens I will start fishing again.

I haven't stopped...lol

Good for you! Fishing is good for what ails ya. At the rate we are going this year, I guess I will have to stay on the water 24/7 for the next 9 months, to get well.

Archived