Realistically 2013?

rollsroyce5

Regardless of who the new coach will be, do any of you guys think that in a best case scenario, we can compete for a championship next season or is the psychological damage too great for this core group that we have right now? I think we have the talent on board. We're just lacking coaching and development. I think the right coach can turn this around for IMMEDIATE success.

WDE

Well, you always go in with that mind set. AU has the talent to compete for a championship. I think the main key is getting a capable qb first of all. We need to find someone to be the face of this team before we can compete for anything.

If we judge ourselves by Rivals then yes we do have the talent to compete. If you watch the games then you wonder if we can make it to 6-6. At least Wallace gave us some light at the end of the tunnel as far as the QB situation goes. But if he is the solution then we are still only 1 deep at that position with a Soph. starting. The Oline will be more experienced but they were horse spit this year. The defense was a turnstile & it is possible we lose Lemonier to the draft and who knows who will step up to help on the line. The future looks bleak but if you look around college football just this year then you will see many examples of coaches that turned around talented teams in just one year.

I think the level Ole Miss has played this year may be about what we can expect. Playing the last game of the year trying to become bowl eligible sounds about right. But I expected at least 9 wins this season ....

:dead:

Obviously it depends on who is coaching. IMO Petrino= 8-10 wins, Jimbo = 7-9, Gus or Jeff Fisher = 6-8. Anyone else absolute crap shot.

A good season (IMO) would be bowl eligilibity, with competitive losses (meaning its not a blowout).

No chance. They don't have an SEC caliber QB. They recruited well, but it's undeveloped. Realistically, you're looking at two, three yeas at best before they're competitive against the SEC elite. It could be a long wait before championship caliber.

I really don't understand the Petrino love...the guy never has recruited well for the D side of the ball. Two years ago he used something like 10 scholarships for receivers in one signing classs. Does that sound smart?

Next year is tough. With all the problems we had with spread offenses this year and we start with Wash St. (Mike Leach), Ark St., Miss St. AND then we go to LSU. We could be 0 and 4 out of the box unless someone learns to stop the spread. 6-7 wins would be a very good record with all the turmoil we are going to see. Sincerely with the "culture" on this team as referenced by Heath Evens and hinted at by BVG, I expect as many as 20 players to leave if we get a coach worth his salt. Its going to be tough next year. 2014 looks much better schedule wise.

I really don't understand the Petrino love...the guy never has recruited well for the D side of the ball. Two years ago he used something like 10 scholarships for receivers in one signing classs. Does that sound smart?

10+ wins sounds smart.

10+ wins sounds smart.

Why does everyone think we would win 10+ under Petrino? His offense depends on a very good qb & good receivers. Do we have that right now? Also, he will not field a defense. I don't see more than 5-6the skins under Petrino with this roster.

Why does everyone think we would win 10+ under Petrino? His offense depends on a very good qb & good receivers. Do we have that right now? Also, he will not field a defense. I don't see more than 5-6the skins under Petrino with this roster.

5-6 wins

Interesting question. I'm guessing the Petrino supporters are thinking that he did well with Arky talent and should do much better with Auburn talent. So, 10 wins next year, multiple NCs after that.

:dunno:

Petrino will attract NFL quality QBs.

No, we have some talent and an alright base for a new coach to work with, but I think we're still a number of years away from competing for championships IF we get a good hire and save the recruiting class this season.

Because of a lack of development and a lot of attrition,I don't think we have the depth or talent that our past recruiting rankings would indicate. We're not in a bad position, but simply not being bad doesn't get it done against teams like LSU, Bammer, and UGA.

I think we might be good for 6-8 regular season wins next season depending on how our coaching search goes.

Personally I would be ok with 4 or 5 wins. This problem will not be fixed overnight. We have to find a solid and disciplined coach. He will have to bring in the same caliber assistants that he feels will be a good fit. Then he will have to work on rebuilding the program and the players. This will be a long and hard process and we will have bumps. If we can win 4 or 5 games and play competitively throughout the year, I personally I feel it will be a successful year. JMO..

Archived