Chad Morris Interviewing

Plaric

I am inclined to believe that Morris will be the OC under Gus Malzhan. This might actually be a great hire. I do believe that we would have to pay Morris a bit over $1 million. Gus for $3 million. Now let's find a great DC. There are several out there that could fill that bill as well.

Don't know if that is wishful thinking or what, but that is a very interesting thought.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is embarrising to AU to even interview this guy. I sure hope we are just buying time for the real coach.

Some say the same about Petrino.

I can't see them being interested in Morris, a guy with no head coaching experience as opposed to Gus who does have one year, plus he knows pretty much what he has in the cupboard.

A hypothetical:

Peterson has declined us, just as he has many others, to stay at Boise.

Patterson has declined us, to stay at TCU, where he makes top 5 money.

Jimbo has elected to stay at FSU (he never really considered leaving...just a leverage rumor).

Jeff Fisher is staying in the NFL.

Franklin has gotten an extension.

Strong has not been considered, in part for his injection of racial issues into the public two years ago.

Auburn declines to consider Petrino, just like everyone else did.

Gus is on the verge of declining Auburn.

This, my friends, explains how Chas Morris gets an interview.

I love Auburn, but we have run 3 coaches out of town who have had undefeated seasons. Our BOT meddling in athletics made national news, and our team is full of highly rated players with discipline issues. Part of me thinks we should offer Saban money to Muschamp.

Regardless, by now, the field has been narrowed dramatically. We just don't know who all has said no or failed to merit further consideration.

A hypothetical:

Jimbo has elected to stay at FSU (he never really considered leaving...just a leverage rumor).

Strong has not been considered, in part for his injection of racial issues into the public two years ago.

I love Auburn, but we have run 3 coaches out of town who have had undefeated seasons. Our BOT meddling in athletics made national news, and our team is full of highly rated players with discipline issues. Part of me thinks we should offer Saban money to Muschamp.

Regardless, by now, the field has been narrowed dramatically. We just don't know who all has said no or failed to merit further consideration.

Seems legit but what about Smart?

A hypothetical:

This seems to be adding up... I really didn't expect Gus to return... Didn't think he wanted the politics

Kirby might not see the forest for the trees... But again, he might be another Muschamp...

It was a hypo, but I don't think people are quite so high on Smart. I suspect that people know Saban runs his defense...I don't think Smart gets a big job directly from Bama unless they let him replace Saban in 8 to 10 years.

Successful coordinators are more impressive when successful under a coach whose back ground is the opposite side of the ball (such as Stoops from Spurrier, Gus from Gene, Muschamp from Brown, etc). It is the main way to know whether or not the coordinator truly calls the plays and takes the lead on that side of the ball.

Heck, I could be wrong, but I don't think Smart is really a contender.

You know, when we mention Chad Morris, no one takes it seriously, including me. He has not had enough experience, especially in big time football. But when we mention Kirby Smart, whose main duty is to hand Saban a towel during practice, people drool over him because he is associated with Nick. Neither one of these guys is experienced enough or proven enough for Auburn. Gus Malzahn just won his conference championship, taking a team that played a pro set offense and coaching them up to a super offensive season and a super defense later in the year. Gus is PROVEN! Gus is SEC proven. I guarantee you Gus was coaching his offense whenever Chizik quit meddling.

It was a hypo, but I don't think people are quite so high on Smart. I suspect that people know Saban runs his defense...I don't think Smart gets a big job directly from Bama unless they let him replace Saban in 8 to 10 years.

Successful coordinators are more impressive when successful under a coach whose back ground is the opposite side of the ball (such as Stoops from Spurrier, Gus from Gene, Muschamp from Brown, etc). It is the main way to know whether or not the coordinator truly calls the plays and takes the lead on that side of the ball.

Heck, I could be wrong, but I don't think Smart is really a contender.

If JJ was not involved I would totally agree with you. Smart is just not ready. But you can never lose money underestimating the stupidity of Jay Jacobs. Jay and Pat want this guy. They feel they can control him just like they did Chizik. Smart is used to doing what he is told and keeping quiet. He is definitely their guy. Hope Smart says no or the other guys intervene.

Chad Morris is a Gus disciple. So why not hire Gus instead of an understudy?

Chad seems better at it.

Not hardly! Not even close. If Gus had been at Clemson, they would have won the ACC.

A hypothetical:

This seems to be adding up... I really didn't expect Gus to return... Didn't think he wanted the politics

Kirby might not see the forest for the trees... But again, he might be another Muschamp...

If Gus is allowed to be the HC, without meddling, he would come back. Sources who know Gus have said all along that he would come back if allowed to be in control. JJ does not like that. He wants to be a puppeteer. If the search committee makes a legitimate offer to Gus, he will come. And this would not be about money with Gus. We have already seen that money is not his primary motivator. He wanted to come to a team and make it his. That is why he turned down Maryland and Vanderbilt and came to ARky St. If JJ can get some humility, we get Gus and several SEC and national championships.

I don't believe we have offered the job but to two people so far. We offered JImbo, but he was just using JJ to gain leverage at FSU. We have now offered Kirby Smart, who is deciding whether or not he wants to be a puppet. We have NOT offered anyone else. We just "interview" them to make it look like we are really trying. I think Patterson would come if we made the right offer. I am sure Petrino would come, even for a poor offer. JJ is killing us! Again~

I must be blind but do you really think Gus taking a 10 win team from last year and winning a couple games this year makes him the ideal candidate. He maybe the greatest coach of our time but I would like to thank him for the memories and move on from this past era. I see him as an adequate coach just not the right coach for my university. I feel if he is hired we will be in the dark for the next decade. I know some of you love him I just don't get it. This coaching hire is going to be the most important hire since coach dye and I just have a feeling we aren't up to the task.

According to coachingsearch.com, Auburn has not scheduled an interview with Chad Morris.

I think Patterson is now off the table.

I think Patterson is now off the table.

All the talk tonight is that everybody is off the table but Smart.

Smart must have really aced his interview.

A hypothetical:

I hope this is wrong,but I fear this is right. I am concerned the AD uncertainty is killing the job search for head coach. The fact that JJ was not dealt with should be concerning to all of us.

Archived