We Are So Lucky.....to have Bo

ShugMan55

Hope everyone saw the 30 for 30 special. Wow. I was at AU when Bo was there and I have never seen anything like him. Saw him in nothing but shorts one day and, well, I'm still not sure he is a human. But more than his physical traits his moral and ethical standards are so admirable. For a young man with no money to tell Tampa Bay to keep their millions over a point of ethics is a rare trait in these days. We are all so damn lucky to have the honor to call Bo one of our Auburn brothers. He has been nothing but a class-act ambassador to our school for over 30 years. Tank you Mr. Jackson.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hope everyone saw the 30 for 30 special. Wow. I was at AU when Bo was there and I have never seen anything like him. Saw him in nothing but shorts one day and, well, I'm still not sure he is a human. But more than his physical traits his moral and ethical standards are so admirable. For a young man with no money to tell Tampa Bay to keep their millions over a point of ethics is a rare trait in these days. We are all so damn lucky to have the honor to call Bo one of our Auburn brothers. He has been nothing but a class-act ambassador to our school for over 30 years. Tank you Mr. Jackson.

Great post! I saw him play many times... awesome player and person. I agree 110%

100% agree. I managed to take in a number of baseball games when Bo was playing outfield for Auburn. Nobody could hit a ball as hard as Bo could hit one. Some others, namely Bo's contemporary Frank Thomas, could be called better hitters, but none of them brought the excitement Bo brought when he stepped to the plate.

Since his playing time at Auburn, Bo has brought nothing but a positive image for us.

Looking at the search committee on TV the other evening, I couldn't help but be proud of Bo, Pat Sullivan, and Mac Crawford. Great Auburn men all, and they are the main reason I'm convinced that Coach Malzahn is the best possible choice as Auburn's head coach. Those three guys wouldn't allow anything else.

I don't know which I enjoyed more, him turning down Tampa Bay money or turning down Steinbrenner. In like the part where Bo and his Mother said: why do we need George Steinbrenner's money, we've never had it before?

Simply awesome!

I loved his line..."but coach, all this excess running is unnecessary" LOL. I heard that Bud Casey constantly complained about Bo to Pat Dye because he flat footed would not work as hard in practice as Casey wanted him to. One day he again complained to Dye about his apparent lack of work ethic and Dye told casey.....he'll be fine, just figure out a way to get him the ball at least 20 times Saturday...LMAO

I loved his line..."but coach, all this excess running is unnecessary" LOL. I heard that Bud Casey constantly complained about Bo to Pat Dye because he flat footed would not work as hard in practice as Casey wanted him to. One day he again complained to Dye about his apparent lack of work ethic and Dye told casey.....he'll be fine, just figure out a way to get him the ball at least 20 times Saturday...LMAO

I also like the Hal Baird's method of coaching Bo. Slight suggestions and stand back and watch. The story of Bo destroying the batting cage in front of the Yankee's scout was great.

I also like the Hal Baird's method of coaching Bo. Slight suggestions and stand back and watch. The story of Bo destroying the batting cage in front of the Yankee's scout was great.

I did too. You had to be blind to not see the once in a generation kind of talent..size , speed, hand eye coordination and instincts. I never knew that he picked everything up so fast. In fact, I thought he might have struggled a little. I remember him not getting a carry until about the 5th or 6th game of his freshman year. A story told by Lionel James was he came in and they called Bo's number. Train said to Bo.."look we're going to run the option that way pointing to the right hand side and he's going to pitch it too you...catch it and run like hell." LOL. the play picked up a 1st down.

I did too. You had to be blind to not see the once in a generation kind of talent..size , speed, hand eye coordination and instincts. I never knew that he picked everything up so fast. In fact, I thought he might have struggled a little. I remember him not getting a carry until about the 5th or 6th game of his freshman year. A story told by Lionel James was he came in and they called Bo's number. Train said to Bo.."look we're going to run the option that way pointing to the right hand side and he's going to pitch it too you...catch it and run like hell." LOL. the play picked up a 1st down.

I seem to remember a Sports Illustrated article years ago where they asked his Raiders and Royals teammates to comment on the most impressive thing they ever saw him do. I think it was George Brett who said that during a rain delay in spring training he brought his bow to the dugout, threw five or six baseballs out on the field at varying distances, and quickly shot the same number of arrows. When the balls were retrieved each had an arrow sticking through it - all in the dead center.

Bo should be nominated and placed in the NFL and Baseball Hall of Fame, he was the only player ever selectted for the baseball all star game and the Pro Bowl. He was the most awesom athelete I ever saw play any game. Hopefully someone will nominate him. He deserves it!

I thought Brooks, Cribbs and Andrews were terrific running backs while I was at Auburn, but Bo made them look like amateurs and they all had pretty good pro careers.

Bo is a class act and represents everything we stand for at Auburn, and all you can is Love him.

I seem to remember a Sports Illustrated article years ago where they asked his Raiders and Royals teammates to comment on the most impressive thing they ever saw him do. I think it was George Brett who said that during a rain delay in spring training he brought his bow to the dugout, threw five or six baseballs out on the field at varying distances, and quickly shot the same number of arrows. When the balls were retrieved each had an arrow sticking through it - all in the dead center.

I remember going to the Sugar Bowl to see Auburn play Michigan Bo's sophomore year. He had made 1st team AA and his legend had already begun. On game day the Times Picayune sports editorial was all Bo. The sports editor said his interview began at midfield in the Super Dome when Bo asked him how high the scoreboard was. The guy told Bo he didn't know exactly how high it was but that nobody had ever been able to hit it either throwing or kicking a ball to it. He wrote that Bo casually leaned over and almost without effort flipped the ball toward the scoreboard and after seeing the ball ricochet off that scoreboard he was convinced it would've hit it even if it was 50 feet higher..and 30 years later we're satill talking about it LOL

If Bo was our running back coach could you imagine him coming into a recruits house. Is there any chance of this happening? I've heard rumors if TR comes back Bo comes back to be running back coach.

Did anyone else see the A-Day game in (I think) 1986? They had a half-time event where Bo was going to race any kids 12 and under on the field for 100 yards. The kids got a 15 yard head start, and they had them running out by the hashes on either side and the center of the field was roped off for Bo to run without trampling anyone. Kids were antsy and they were lining them up and introducing Bo, and some of the kids started breaking and running before the actual start. Some probably made it 10 or 15 yards before Bo noticed (so were actually 25-30 yards ahead of him), and decided to go ahead and run. It was a thing of beauty as he flew down the middle of the field and easily won by about 10 or so yards if I remember correctly. Just another memory that adds to the legend/mystique.

If Bo was our running back coach could you imagine him coming into a recruits house. Is there any chance of this happening? I've heard rumors if TR comes back Bo comes back to be running back coach.

\\

I would gladly give Bo any job at Auburn. Sadly I believe if he was our running back coach he would wander off halfway through practice and end up on the golf course or in his man-cave building arrows. Who knows, but the vibe I get off of Bo is that he is pretty much completely at peace and very satisfied with his life. A rare thing. Sometime I think he is as far out in front of us mentally and spiritually as he is physically.

I wonder if Bo was ever asked to go to the Olympics for Archery? He could probably still go and win the Gold!

Without question the greatest athlete of our generation. I, too, was impressed when he told Hugh Culverhouse, "thanks but no thanks." Had to go on YouTube last night and watch some of his NFL and MLB highlights.

"The most talented athlete ever" - Carlton Fisk

"Gifted beyond any athlete I've ever seen." - Harold Reynolds

"That was the magic of Bo. He had talent that the rest of us can't even begin to comprehend." - columnist Richard Justice

"Once in a generation player" - Hall of Fame football writer Ray Didinger

He certainly had HOF talent in either sport. The sad thing is that it is great thing for Auburn, this is where Bo is loved for being himself. This is where his greatest recognition resides (HT), his greatest coach (CPD) and his greatest admirers reside. After all the accolades, Vincent "Bo" Jackson is an Auburn man.

Little doc

I don't know which I enjoyed more, him turning down Tampa Bay money or turning down Steinbrenner. In like the part where Bo and his Mother said: why do we need George Steinbrenner's money, we've never had it before?

Simply awesome!

That was great!

I remember watching Bo play in the East/West all-star game.The game was at BSC and the center field wall was around 405 from the plate.During infleld he let a ball go to the center field wall on purpose.He picked in up and threw it to the plate on the fly!

He hit a homerun at the old baseball field at Gardendale high school over the weight room in right field.It was about a 430 ft shot.

Saw him play in the old DEntal Clinic game his senior year.I remember him playing every snap of the game.He played LB on D.RB on O.He also punted,kicked off and returned punts and kick-offs.

He really was Paul Bunyan.

I saw Bo and Herschel run against each other in a dual track meet at AU one year. I can't remember who won, but I was just in awe of those two 225 lb guys running that fast without pads. Amazing.

I was lucky enough to be at AU while Bo was playing. Bo over the top at the IB in 1982 was the best. The AU fans went absolutely crazy.

Archived