Commit - Benas Griciunas on tv Monday 21 Jan

AUBourne

@AUHoopsBlog

Monday at 3ET on ESPNU Auburn commit Benas Griciunas and Findlay Prep will be facing off against the #1 team in the country.

Just noticed the tweet above had the incorrect time. It is actually starting at 4pm Eastern.

I thought he would at least start for his team...I guess not..He's only played one or two minutes so far.

Yeah I am disappointed. Evidently he is about the 4th guy off the bench.

I thought he would at least start for his team...I guess not..He's only played one or two minutes so far.

Yeah I am disappointed. Evidently he is about the 4th guy off the bench.

He hasn't even taken off his warmup shirt off this half lol...

I can't believe I taped this lol. A guy we signed doesn't start on his current team? He play for the Globetrotters or something? :)

I can't believe I taped this lol. A guy we signed doesn't start on his current team? He play for the Globetrotters or something? :)

I was thinking the same thing, but I remember that Shaq Johnson was his HS team's (Milton) 6th man for much if not all of his HS career. Of course, he played a lot more than Benas did, though.

Both those Prep teams are loaded with all-stars. This is not like playing for your local H.S. team. These prep schools get elite prospects. He will improve just by going to practice and going against his own teammates. I love how ya'll really think AU can compete with the Dukes and Arizona type schools in BBall recruiting. It is like Duke trying to recruit against AU in football. Until AU consistently wins and sells out the arena we won't see the best of the best BBall recruits coming to AU in large numbers.

Both those Prep teams are loaded with all-stars. This is not like playing for your local H.S. team. These prep schools get elite prospects. He will improve just by going to practice and going against his own teammates. I love how ya'll really think AU can compete with the Dukes and Arizona type schools in BBall recruiting. It is like Duke trying to recruit against AU in football. Until AU consistently wins and sells out the arena we won't see the best of the best BBall recruits coming to AU in large numbers.

I like how you just make stuff up. Good drama.

We are comparing ourselves to Duke because we notice one of our recruits is barely in the playing rotation on his prep team? Alrighty then.

What did I make up? The fact that these two prep programs go and recruit highly rated BBall players to play for and attend their schools or the fact that at the present AU is at a serious disadvantage when recruiting elite prospects vs more established programs? You do know that Findley and Monte are prep schools that get their players from all over the country don't you? Ya'll want to poo-poo a promising player that needs to develop, because he didn't start for a team loaded with top level big men. The announcers even talked about how loaded they were with top notch big men. Will this kid probably need a RS and a year or two at college to reach his max potential-yes, but that is what mid-tier programs do to win and get to the tournament-get the kids that have potential and develop them and add stud jucos or transfers and the occasional local phenom that just always loved the school or wants to stay close to home-and AU is at a mid-tier level when it comes to BBall.

What did I make up? The fact that these two prep programs go and recruit highly rated BBall players to play for and attend their schools or the fact that at the present AU is at a serious disadvantage when recruiting elite prospects vs more established programs? You do know that Findley and Monte are prep schools that get their players from all over the country don't you? Ya'll want to poo-poo a promising player that needs to develop, because he didn't start for a team loaded with top level big men. The announcers even talked about how loaded they were with top notch big men. Will this kid probably need a RS and a year or two at college to reach his max potential-yes, but that is what mid-tier programs do to win and get to the tournament-get the kids that have potential and develop them and add stud jucos or transfers and the occasional local phenom that just always loved the school or wants to stay close to home-and AU is at a mid-tier level when it comes to BBall.

Not one of the 12 posts before your drama/llama type post criticized the kid. Not one post in this thread mentioned Duke or belittled Auburn's recruiting class. Instead people who care enough about Auburn basketball that they would watch a high school game were making posts during the game with comments on facts of the situation. I am probably one of the few people on this earth that has spent money on flight and hotels to attend AU basketball games. I completely understand the AU basketball situation.

JJ..tough to combat ingnorance I'm afraid. Folks should look at the Findlay Prep roster...it's made up of kids from all over the world who come to that school to get ready for US collegiate basketball. Six already have Div 1 commits and by the time all of them graduate, they will all be at Div I schools.

JMO but it's a good move by TB to get connected with the school and should pay off in the years to come for AU...that is, if the AU fans will have the patience to allow TB to build the program.

FINDLAY PREP IN THE PAST 5 SEASONS

157-8 (65-0 Home, 92-8 Away)

3 ESPN NHSI Championships

4 NBA Draft Picks in 2 Years

6 McDonald's All-Americans

100% High School Graduation Rate

100% Graduates on NCAA Division 1 Scholarship

100% Graduates Have Qualified as Freshman

1 Pac-12 Player of the Year

1 Big 12, 1 Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Year

1 Big 10, 1 Big 12 Freshman of the Year

8 Alums Selected Conference All-Freshman Teams

JJ..tough to combat ingnorance I'm afraid. Folks should look at the Findlay Prep roster...it's made up of kids from all over the world who come to that school to get ready for US collegiate basketball. Six already have Div 1 commits and by the time all of them graduate, they will all be at Div I schools.

JMO but it's a good move by TB to get connected with the school and should pay off in the years to come for AU...that is, if the AU fans will have the patience to allow TB to build the program.

Thanks for the support, but I misread what they were saying. i thought they were attacking the kid's ability, but I was wrong. they were just upset that they took the time to watch and he barely played. As a former coach I overreacted to what I thought was a slight of a player. I used to jump on people, who gave my bench-warmers crap, since I knew they were working hard and had potential to blossom into good players. I have to watch myself I sometimes have a Swiss/Hebrew/Scotsman's temper tantrum.

Thanks for the support, but I misread what they were saying. i thought they were attacking the kid's ability, but I was wrong. they were just upset that they took the time to watch and he barely played. As a former coach I overreacted to what I thought was a slight of a player. I used to jump on people, who gave my bench-warmers crap, since I knew they were working hard and had potential to blossom into good players. I have to watch myself I sometimes have a Swiss/Hebrew/Scotsman's temper tantrum.

That's fine...I interpreted the comments as wondering why TB got a commit from a kid that can't start on his HS team. IMO there has been insufficient patience with TB and his efforts to rebuild an AU basketball program that had reached a sad state. TB made some recruiting mistakes in his effort to get an immediate bounce in the program but I think he's headed in the right direction and I just hope we don't pull the plug on him too soon...and go back to square one again.

That's fine...I interpreted the comments as wondering why TB got a commit from a kid that can't start on his HS team. IMO there has been insufficient patience with TB and his efforts to rebuild an AU basketball program that had reached a sad state. TB made some recruiting mistakes in his effort to get an immediate bounce in the program but I think he's headed in the right direction and I just hope we don't pull the plug on him too soon...and go back to square one again.

I hear ya. He is a pretty solid coach that has won conference championships. We won't do better and were lucky to get him. He was up to the challenge and we need to support him through the bumpy early years. It takes time to build winners in major conferences like the SEC with so many good teams and coaches to go up against. When you are a program like AU you just have to take those gambles on those particular players that have all the talent, but have issues outside the court. If they mature it's a home-run and puts your program on the map (like UNLV under Tark)-unfortunately this time the gamble didn't pay off, but I like the core of young players he has on the team now-they will only get better.

Archived