Is Jeremy Johnson going to play Hoops?

AUgrad00

I hope not, we have one sports program that we focus on. That is football. We are embarrassed by baseball, football, and basketball. But we focus on football. I just hope we get less embarrassing at that sport first.

I hope not, we have one sports program that we focus on. That is football. We are embarrassed by baseball, football, and basketball. But we focus on football. I just hope we get less embarrassing at that sport first.

You are probably correct....I just find it sad that AU fans consider the school to be a one-trick pony. JJ gets the blame for the poor results in sports other than football...but I expect he knows where the votes are and he is just responding to the many AU fans who feel this way.

I think back to the days of Bo Jackson, Frank Thomas, Gabe Gross and the many other football players that played baseball, ran track and even a few that spent some time on the basketball team. Other SEC schools seem to be able to allow their athletes to play more than one sport. Over the years we've lost a few pretty good prospects over the school's "one sport policy" and I'm not sure AU benefits from that policy

Yeah, I think it's highly unlikely we'll see JJ on the hardwood. He obviously has the ability to play either, but logistically, it's pretty far fetched.

And this bugs me. Our men (swimming) have won something like 17 straight SEC championships and nobody cares. I guarantee when the streak is snapped people will pay attention but for now it seems like nobody cares.

And this bugs me. Our men (swimming) have won something like 17 straight SEC championships and nobody cares. I guarantee when the streak is snapped people will pay attention but for now it seems like nobody cares.

I do but I know what your saying TC

Swimmin only counts in procreation and the Olympics.

Go to a swim meet at Auburn some time. It's a great experience and you'll learn to care, I promise! :)

I saw a squib on the TV a while back. Baylor fields 19 sports for men and women and ALL NINETEEN made it to post season play. BAYLOR! Based on that, there's little excuse for Auburn to be having such poor across the board results.

Go to a swim meet at Auburn some time. It's a great experience and you'll learn to care, I promise! :)

I saw a squib on the TV a while back. Baylor fields 19 sports for men and women and ALL NINETEEN made it to post season play. BAYLOR! Based on that, there's little excuse for Auburn to be having such poor across the board results.

That is amazing. If/when we start looking for a new AD put their guy on the short list please.

Jeremy johnson won Mr. Football and is expected to win Mr. Basketball, so I think its up to him. South carolina's starting WR Bruce Ellington is the basketball teams 2nd leading scorer. It can be done.

• 4 weeks later...

Very true! AU swimming and diving is big time and is enjoyable to keep up with.

But on the Jermey Johnson playing basketball note, I am not in favor (since the Athletic Department asked me, lol). I don't mind a guy playing two sports at AU, I just dont know that I would want my potential starting QB (of the future, not 2013) and possible "future face of the program" playing BBall. Too much to risk if his primary reason for coming to AU is for football. Not saying football is more important, just saying he signed on to play QB on the football team. That is his commitment, anything else is just extra. I would hate it for him and for the football team if he were to get hurt playing BBall.

Very true! AU swimming and diving is big time and is enjoyable to keep up with.

But on the Jermey Johnson playing basketball note, I am not in favor (since the Athletic Department asked me, lol). I don't mind a guy playing two sports at AU, I just dont know that I would want my potential starting QB (of the future, not 2013) and possible "future face of the program" playing BBall. Too much to risk if his primary reason for coming to AU is for football. Not saying football is more important, just saying he signed on to play QB on the football team. That is his commitment, anything else is just extra. I would hate it for him and for the football team if he were to get hurt playing BBall.

Heisman winning QB on the '93 national title FSU Criminoles, 1st round NBA draft choice, flaming anti-semite and all-around punk Charlie Ward says hello.

Heisman winning QB on the '93 national title FSU Criminoles, 1st round NBA draft choice, flaming anti-semite and all-around punk Charlie Ward says hello.

Say hello back and tell Charlie both games have changed a bunch in the last 20 years. These days he would have had to pick a sport and stick to that one.

Archived