Recruting...

AUgrad00

So ESPN says we have a 3 star, a 2 star and two zero stars as part of last seasons signee class. Also the one committement we have is a zero star.

Yes with talent like that Barbee should turn things around.

Why can Auburn NOT recruit better talent?

Our 3 star PG is very underrated as is Dion Wade. You should look at the kids' offers more than their star rating. Under armor and our losing record don't help though

The stars might make us feel good but look at Gonzaga, Butler and the St Mary's of the world and see how many 3* and above players they have...not many but they get kids that can shoot and are willing to play their system.

I just get the feeling that TB (and not just TB) get hooked by 18 year old HS kids that are muscled up like they are 25 and push smaller HS opponents around with ease. Look around the SEC, most basketball players are as big as football players and too many of them look like football players in short pants. When they get to college, the physical domination ends and we (and they) learn they don't have the fundamentals. I'm beating the dead horse I know, but somehow we need to be recruiting at least a few kids that can shoot the rock....and not just get by on athleticism while in HS.

St. Mary's basketball program was put on four years of probation today. Recruiting violations. Were they breaking the rules to bring in a bunch of 2* players?

Check their squad....none above 3 star and most less. NCAA got them for violations with foreign students, none of whom actually attended school.

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/sports/college/basketball/mens&id=9012182

It only takes a couple minutes to check the facts....worth doing before commenting with half the information.

Check their squad....none above 3 star and most less. NCAA got them for violations with foreign students, none of whom actually attended school.

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/sports/college/basketball/mens&id=9012182

It only takes a couple minutes to check the facts....worth doing before commenting with half the information.

I checked the facts. St. Mary's was just put on four years of probation for recruiting violations. Is this the thread where some of our posters suggest we should hire the coach from St. Mary's? Maybe the fact of NCAA problems should have been checked before recommending his hiring.

So ESPN says we have a 3 star, a 2 star and two zero stars as part of last seasons signee class. Also the one committement we have is a zero star.

Yes with talent like that Barbee should turn things around.

Why can Auburn NOT recruit better talent?

When you have two seasons with 20 losses in 3 years, and produce less wins than the previous coach that was fired, then it is hard for recruits to get excited or interested. The gap will continue to grow next year if the predictions of failure next season hold true.

http://abclocal.go.c...mens&id=9012182

Those are some unique penalties and harsh considering the assistant coach is no longer on staff and the players in question never enrolled at St Mary's. However even with the 2 star recruits, the practice penalties and two scholarship reductions I predict Randy Bennett wins more games over the next 4 years than Tony Barbee does at Auburn. Maybe the penalties will make it easier to get CRB to AU in case the insane amount of money AU is paying is not enough (LOL).

The stars might make us feel good but look at Gonzaga, Butler and the St Mary's of the world and see how many 3* and above players they have...not many but they get kids that can shoot and are willing to play their system.

I just get the feeling that TB (and not just TB) get hooked by 18 year old HS kids that are muscled up like they are 25 and push smaller HS opponents around with ease. Look around the SEC, most basketball players are as big as football players and too many of them look like football players in short pants. When they get to college, the physical domination ends and we (and they) learn they don't have the fundamentals. I'm beating the dead horse I know, but somehow we need to be recruiting at least a few kids that can shoot the rock....and not just get by on athleticism while in HS.

Amen Brother ! You don't have to be a 6'6" muscle guy to break an opponents will at the three point line.

Amen Brother ! You don't have to be a 6'6" muscle guy to break an opponents will at the three point line.

Henderson from Ole Miss is a perfect example. That kid doesnt look like he should even be on the court

Archived