Another hit for JJ...

buzzurd24

The swimming successes came immediately after Marsh's departure. Since he left, the decline has been steady with no bottom in sight. Argue one way or the other about JJ, but to say our swimming programs "are fine" is simply not correct. Those of us that are swimming fans are well aware of this.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK so past 6 years u are happy with men's and women's b-ball, baseball and football?

Why do Marsh and Tubs hate JJ so much? Are you OK with Jackson's promotions? U are OK with Cam and company being thrown under the bus by BSPN, with no public defense from the AD?

You are OK with the worst or second worst season in football last year? You are OK with Chiz and the boys from the hood buyouts?

None of this is to blame on JJ?

*sigh*

Past 6 years in football: 47 wins, with an average of 8 per season. No, I wouldn't say I'm satisfied with 8 wins a year but it could be worse. Over JJ's tenure football is 80-35. That's a 9-4 season. I'm not sure if you can pick a different 10 year stretch of Auburn football where we would average 9 wins.

Women's basketball last 6 years: 2 WNIT quaterfinal, WNIT second round, NCAA appearance. Program got stale, and a new coach was brought in.

Men's Bball: Short answer, no. But I am proud of the facilites that were constructed in the past 6 years. And I still believe Barbee will have a good season next year, and am glad he was retained.

Baseball: I just threw up a little in my mouth.

If I had to guess why Marsh "hates" JJ would be because he wouldn't cater to him the way he wanted. He couldn't get the facilities he wanted, so he left to become the National team coach. Swimming has done just fine without him, which was kind of the argument all along. But that's just what I've heard. For all I know the whole rift was message board gossip anyway. Nobody knows anything but those two men. There may not be anything at all. It's not like coaching the national team is a demotion from Auburn.

Tubbs, probably because JJ fired him. JJ probably hates him from strong arming him for a raise after every season after '04. And I seem to remember everyone wanting Tubbs gone afer '08 and couldn't care less what he thought.

Jackson's promotions? Couldn't care less. Has nothing to do with me what so ever. He has nothing what so ever to do with the product on the field. And wasn't he demoted?

No I'm not ok with the way the media treated Cam, but there was nothing Auburn University could do at the time. NCAA investigation and all. And quite frankly if Cecil hadn't done what he did it wouldn't have ever been an issue. So he had has much to do with bus throwing as anyone else. What I was thrilled to death with was the fact that the NCAA could give us a 2 year anal probe and we could come out smelling like a rose. How many other athletic departments could that? That has to say something. And when Auburn could speak out they did. Quite vehemently.

Buyouts? Don't really care. I don't see why it bothers anyone else either quite frankly. The athletic department is one of only 20 or so that actually makes a profit, so aslong as they can afford to hire and fire coaches it doesn't affect my wallet in the least little bit.

As I've said before I wouldn't be suprised, and would completely understand if JJ was fired tomorrow. But I also understand he has a difficult job that 99.99% of this or any other board has any comprehinsion of. And yes, of course he does deserve his portion of the blame. But he is far from being the only one to blame. Changes have been made and I'm willing to see how these changes play out before calling for his head.

I haven't been happy about the general trendings of Auburn sports as of late, but I will say that this was one of the better arguments both for and against JJ that I've read on here, my posts included. gAUlf, I applaud the effort and the opinion. Laid everything on the table and apart from Barbee I think I'm in relative agreement, just in the sense that there's really nothing that can be done from my end.

I also agree with gAulf's points. JJ has a job because of his ability to keep Auburn's AD profitable when a lot of universities can't even do that. I will add that 7 of the top 11 most profitable football programs come from the conference with the most lucrative TV & bowl deals. Mike Slive gets that credit.

What I feel and believe most here would agree with is that the good ole boy culture between JJ, his buddies & unofficial bosses has taken it's toll across the entire AD. I believe because of the structure/culture that has been instilled has ran good coaches off (i.e Marsh, Muschamp) and kept good coaches from coming in, which has led to weak hires, {i.e. Chizik, Pawlaski (spelling?), Barbee}.

I will agree that just getting rid of JJ doesn't guarantee success. The new hire could be someone that just becomes a puppet also. But I still believe he is the root of the problem and needs to go.

OK so past 6 years u are happy with men's and women's b-ball, baseball and football?

Why do Marsh and Tubs hate JJ so much? Are you OK with Jackson's promotions? U are OK with Cam and company being thrown under the bus by BSPN, with no public defense from the AD?

You are OK with the worst or second worst season in football last year? You are OK with Chiz and the boys from the hood buyouts?

*sigh*

Past 6 years in football: 47 wins, with an average of 8 per season. No, I wouldn't say I'm satisfied with 8 wins a year but it could be worse. Over JJ's tenure football is 80-35. That's a 9-4 season. I'm not sure if you can pick a different 10 year stretch of Auburn football where we would average 9 wins.

Women's basketball last 6 years: 2 WNIT quaterfinal, WNIT second round, NCAA appearance. Program got stale, and a new coach was brought in.

Men's Bball: Short answer, no. But I am proud of the facilites that were constructed in the past 6 years. And I still believe Barbee will have a good season next year, and am glad he was retained.

If I had to guess why Marsh "hates" JJ would be because he wouldn't cater to him the way he wanted. He couldn't get the facilities he wanted, so he left to become the National team coach. Swimming has done just fine without him, which was kind of the argument all along. But that's just what I've heard. For all I know the whole rift was message board gossip anyway. Nobody knows anything but those two men. There may not be anything at all. It's not like coaching the national team is a demotion from Auburn.

Tubbs, probably because JJ fired him. JJ probably hates him from strong arming him for a raise after every season after '04. And I seem to remember everyone wanting Tubbs gone afer '08 and couldn't care less what he thought.

Jackson's promotions? Couldn't care less. Has nothing to do with me what so ever. He has nothing what so ever to do with the product on the field. And wasn't he demoted?

No I'm not ok with the way the media treated Cam, but there was nothing Auburn University could do at the time. NCAA investigation and all. And quite frankly if Cecil hadn't done what he did it wouldn't have ever been an issue. So he had has much to do with bus throwing as anyone else. What I was thrilled to death with was the fact that the NCAA could give us a 2 year anal probe and we could come out smelling like a rose. How many other athletic departments could that? That has to say something. And when Auburn could speak out they did. Quite vehemently.

Buyouts? Don't really care. I don't see why it bothers anyone else either quite frankly. The athletic department is one of only 20 or so that actually makes a profit, so aslong as they can afford to hire and fire coaches it doesn't affect my wallet in the least little bit.

As I've said before I wouldn't be suprised, and would completely understand if JJ was fired tomorrow. But I also understand he has a difficult job that 99.99% of this or any other board has any comprehinsion of. And yes, of course he does deserve his portion of the blame. But he is far from being the only one to blame. Changes have been made and I'm willing to see how these changes play out before calling for his head.

I haven't been happy about the general trendings of Auburn sports as of late, but I will say that this was one of the better arguments both for and against JJ that I've read on here, my posts included. gAUlf, I applaud the effort and the opinion. Laid everything on the table and apart from Barbee I think I'm in relative agreement, just in the sense that there's really nothing that can be done from my end.

I also agree with gAulf's points. JJ has a job because of his ability to keep Auburn's AD profitable when a lot of universities can't even do that. I will add that 7 of the top 11 most profitable football programs come from the conference with the most lucrative TV & bowl deals. Mike Slive gets that credit.

What I feel and believe most here would agree with is that the good ole boy culture between JJ, his buddies & unofficial bosses has taken it's toll across the entire AD. I believe because of the structure/culture that has been instilled has ran good coaches off (i.e Marsh, Muschamp) and kept good coaches from coming in, which has led to weak hires, {i.e. Chizik, Pawlaski (spelling?), Barbee}.

I will agree that just getting rid of JJ doesn't guarantee success. The new hire could be someone that just becomes a puppet also. But I still believe he is the root of the problem and needs to go.

I'm not sold the problem is JJ. I think it may be higher than that, i.e. BOT that won't allow anyone to come in who won't do what they want how they want, etc. - essentially allowing a member or two of the BOT to be the AD in all but title. Could be wrong, but something to consider. Would explain why we always look for an "Auburn Man" to come in instead of going for best available... :dunno:

Well, that's an even more depressing thought Charleston Tiger.

I believe that your statement has a lot of truth to it though. I'm not sure what it will take to revamp the whole power structure at AU and finally get rid of the GOB network, allow the AD to do his job unhindered and allow the head coaches to do their jobs without unwanted involvement from the "higher ups".

I think both of you guys could be right. But instead of 1 or 2 "PTB" I believe it could be a whole network. A case of too many chiefs and not enough indians. And no, I don't think Dye is involved.

*sigh*

I'm not sold the problem is JJ. I think it may be higher than that, i.e. BOT that won't allow anyone to come in who won't do what they want how they want, etc. - essentially allowing a member or two of the BOT to be the AD in all but title. Could be wrong, but something to consider. Would explain why we always look for an "Auburn Man" to come in instead of going for best available... :dunno:/>

I think we have the same theory. I just tend to associate JJ with the BOT, Good ole boy, "Auburn Man" issues a little bit more because to me things started changing shortly after JJ took over in December 2004.

Well, that's an even more depressing thought Charleston Tiger.

I believe that your statement has a lot of truth to it though. I'm not sure what it will take to revamp the whole power structure at AU and finally get rid of the GOB network, allow the AD to do his job unhindered and allow the head coaches to do their jobs without unwanted involvement from the "higher ups".

Unfortunately, I truly believe that, if you want to reform the power structure at Auburn, you're going to have to reform the power structure in the state of Alabama because, from my experience, it's all tied together. I'm not sure anyone has enough power to make that happen.

The swimming successes came immediately after Marsh's departure. Since he left, the decline has been steady with no bottom in sight. Argue one way or the other about JJ, but to say our swimming programs "are fine" is simply not correct. Those of us that are swimming fans are well aware of this.

This X 1000. To say the swim program is doing fine or does not miss Marsh is completely laughable. The only thing in his post about swimming that was accurate was that Marsh was not happy he did not get the facilities he wanted however one wee little fact, was omitted. Marsh was pissed because Jay Jacobs promised him those facilities and then reneged.

Also, Marsh did not leave to coach the national team. He left to coach a club swim team in Charlotte.

wde

This X 1000. To say the swim program is doing fine or does not miss Marsh is completely laughable. The only thing in his post about swimming that was accurate was that Marsh was not happy he did not get the facilities he wanted however one wee little fact, was omitted. Marsh was pissed because Jay Jacobs promised him those facilities and then reneged.

Also, Marsh did not leave to coach the national team. He left to coach a club swim team in Charlotte.

wde

He did reneg so that those funds could be used for the indoor facility. I guess it was a matter of priorities. Auburn was in desperate need to upgrade its facilities in football. Swimming was winning titles every year. I guess it was a matter of who needed it more. And sorry I thought I read he went to coah the national team. Either way I don't really care honestly. Swimming was doing just fine with the facilities hey had. Football needed upgrading. Easy call to make really.

Quote:Easy call to make really.

Maybe the call was easy, but it destroyed the most successful program in the history of Auburn athletics. Also, the promised swimming upgrades weren't 1/10 the cost of football's desires. If JJ is such a financial whiz he should have been able to accomplish both.

My impression at the time was that JJ wanted to show Marsh "who's boss". So he did and in the process the most successful coach in any college sport in the history of this state left his alma mater to go coach a swim club.

Maybe some can try to justify that, but not me!

*sigh*

If I had to guess why Marsh "hates" JJ would be because he wouldn't cater to him the way he wanted. He couldn't get the facilities he wanted, so he left to become the National team coach. Swimming has done just fine without him, which was kind of the argument all along. But that's just what I've heard. For all I know the whole rift was message board gossip anyway. Nobody knows anything but those two men. There may not be anything at all. It's not like coaching the national team is a demotion from Auburn

No I'm not ok with the way the media treated Cam, but there was nothing Auburn University could do at the time. NCAA investigation and all. And quite frankly if Cecil hadn't done what he did it wouldn't have ever been an issue. So he had has much to do with bus throwing as anyone else. What I was thrilled to death with was the fact that the NCAA could give us a 2 year anal probe and we could

come out smelling like a rose. How many other athletic departments could that? That has to say something. And when Auburn could speak out they did. Quite vehemently.

Not trying to be nasty, but you also wanted to keep Chiz, so I mean, well you know........

Maybe the call was easy, but it destroyed the most successful program in the history of Auburn athletics. Also, the promised swimming upgrades weren't 1/10 the cost of football's desires. If JJ is such a financial whiz he should have been able to accomplish both.

My impression at the time was that JJ wanted to show Marsh "who's boss". So he did and in the process the most successful coach in any college sport in the history of this state left his alma mater to go coach a swim club.

No one can justify it, because it is an impossible position to take. There are those on here that will simply not admit they are wrong even when the facts are staring them in the face.

No one can justify it, because it is an impossible position to take. There are those on here that will simply not admit they are wrong even when the facts are staring them in the face.

Are you suggesting that mikey's impressions are facts? Just curious. I have no way of knowing that scenario played out anything like what mikey has portrayed. It's like he said...it was his "impression" I'm not prone to get righteously indignant over other people's impressions. I did hate to see Marsh leave and dont understand what the dynamic was that led to his departure. I'm not making excuses for JJ's handling of that situation, which obviously wasn't what Marsh was looking for, but wanting to show who was the boss is NOT a fact..that is an impression just as he stated.

Don't forget that he ran off coach BOOM after the 2007 season. They should've fired JJ just for that alone.

Are you suggesting that mikey's impressions are facts? Just curious. I have no way of knowing that scenario played out anything like what mikey has portrayed. It's like he said...it was his "impression" I'm not prone to get righteously indignant over other people's impressions. I did hate to see Marsh leave and dont understand what the dynamic was that led to his departure. I'm not making excuses for JJ's handling of that situation, which obviously wasn't what Marsh was looking for, but wanting to show who was the boss is NOT a fact..that is an impression just as he stated.

I don't know about the "who's the boss" thing. It was widely known, when Coach Marsh left, that he was promised miniscule upgrades that were not delivered to him. It was also widely known that Coach Boom left Auburn because JJ jerked him around over nothing. We just don't have enough quality coaches to be running them off over petty stuff.....just my opinion.

wde

He did reneg so that those funds could be used for the indoor facility. I guess it was a matter of priorities. Auburn was in desperate need to upgrade its facilities in football. Swimming was winning titles every year. I guess it was a matter of who needed it more. And sorry I thought I read he went to coah the national team. Either way I don't really care honestly. Swimming was doing just fine with the facilities hey had. Football needed upgrading. Easy call to make really.

You seem to be correlating a team's facilities with their level of sucess. What's the basketball teams excuse?

Let me get this straight - Jacobs renegged on promises for swimming upgrades to Coach Marsh and he diverted the funds to an indoor practice facility that Coach Tuberville begged him for years to have built for the football team?

Don't forget that he ran off coach BOOM after the 2007 season. They should've fired JJ just for that alone.

Really? How do you figure that? Will is a well known hothead and if you ask me was, in all probability, simply looking for a way out. Let us not forget what happened in Auburn shortly after his departure.These coaches are on career paths that plays a large role in their decisions. My opinion, which is no more valid than yours, is that Will simply was ready to make a change anyway and used an easily remedied issue from his contract as his "reason"

Really? How do you figure that? Will is a well known hothead and if you ask me was, in all probability, simply looking for a way out. Let us not forget what happened in Auburn shortly after his departure.These coaches are on career paths that plays a large role in their decisions. My opinion, which is no more valid than yours, is that Will simply was ready to make a change anyway and used an easily remedied issue from his contract as his "reason"

Blue - You have a retort for every single issue that is presented whichmay negatively reflect on Jay Jacobs performance as AD.

In your opinion, why do you think that a premiere SEC football program with the rich history and tradition Auburn football has had ends up with a head coach with a 5-19 record?

Why do you think that 2 yrs removed from going undefeated and winning a BCSNC, Auburn ends up with a head coach that has one year of HC experience in the Sun Belt conference?

Why do you think that a coach with a great resume, tons of promise, and a disciple of John Calipari can't find his way out of a paper bag once he becomes AU's basketball coach?

Why do you think that after years and years of watching our conference rivals field successful softball teams, that AU just now decided to boot the fine lady that has been the coach for 17 yrs?

lol, good one JJ!

lol, good one JJ!

It's every bit as "good' as simply assuming that JJ "ran him off". Do you honestly believe that Will Muschamp was going to be a career defensive coordinator at Auburn? Making the move to Texas was a very good decision for him and looking back now was his best move. He wanted to be a HC and building his resume expedited that for him. I think WM had more to do with his departure from Auburn than JJ did...run tell that....a'ight?

wde

You seem to be correlating a team's facilities with their level of sucess. What's the basketball teams excuse?

Not sure how you came to that. I was simply pointing out that swimming & diving were winning championships with the facilites they had. JJ has plenty of red marks against him, but that's not one IMO. Can you imagine the outrage if he had said "sorry coach Tubbs/Chiz. We can't go ahead with the new indoor facility/weight room because coach Marsh needs some new high dives or whatever."

I believe it was mikey that said something along the lines of if JJ is good at finances why not do both? I have know way of knowing, but that my be why he is good at finances. I'm sure every sports program we have is constantly begging for upgrades for this and that. And I'm sure it's difficult for JJ to have to tell them "no" when he has to. But if he were to greenlight everything, than I doubt Auburn would have the financial stability it has.

As far as basketball is concerned the Arena just opened in 2010. The team has only been to the NCAA tournament 8 times in it's history. I think it may take some time.

Archived