Date Qb will be named?

auburnpride99

What does everyone think? Just about 3 weeks till kick off and a wide open race. When do you think Gus will name his man at the Qb? In 1 week, 2 weeks, 3 weeks, right after kickoff? I feel like he wants to get his offense off and running quickly this year, so the sooner the better at Qb.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope he names the starter this Sunday. This would be an encouraging sign to me. I would take that as someone really stepped up and separated themselves from the pack.

The longer he waits, the more I will begin to think that noone is really stepping up and we will not have stellar QB play this year. (at least early on)

#earlier the better IMHO

2 weeks. This will give the named "starter" a whole week to work with the "ones".

+1

+2 That's what has been stated that after 2weeks of camp it should be clear but the coaches did add they will take long as they need in order to get it right. Hopefully it will not take too long. As hard as it is to do...we just have to wait and see...

Gus has said that in 2009, they knew by the 9th practice (if I am not mistaken) that Chris Todd was going to be their #1. Right now, we're 3 practices in and have just begun working in shells. Today I think that we will see some separation (even if the coaches don't say that there is) between the QBs as it's the first day with pads on.

To me, the fact that there hasn't been any separation between the QBs yet is a big + for NM, as he is more known for his incredible athletic and running ability. Today and tomorrow I think NM really begins to separate himself from the pack during live contact and scrimmages.

There are two posible reasons we don't know who our QB is by end of second week. One is a good reason and one is a bad reason.

Reason 1 - The bad reason. Nobody really separates themselves. They don't play bad but they don't play great either.

Reason 2 - The good reason - At least two guys really bring it. They are so impressive that coaches know we have a winner and that either will be able to carry the team on their shoulders if needed to. They can afford to wait to see if one has that little bit of an edge in some intangible way.

I hope we have our QB by end of second week because at least one guys has said I am the man this is my position. If not then lets hope for reason 2.

If we have to go with Reason 1 then I believe with a much improved O-Line and very Good RB's we might go with the best leader. The guy who won't hurt us who will allow us to play mean in the trenches smash mouth football on the O-side and a D that will make the other team get off the field.

I think we have enough talent to have a solid winning team with a leader and the potential to surprise a lot of peole if we have somebody to step up and be a stud. When Guz first got here he had a solid O-Line that had been around for a couple of years that was about to become a dominant O-Line for the next two years. We have that same Potential right now. With Chris Todd we had a solid winning team the next year with the STUD QB Cam we had our NC.

2 weeks. This will give the named "starter" a whole week to work with the "ones".

That would be near the end of the "good" window, imo.

I think that naming a QB by practice 9 or 10 would be nice. But at LEAST a week.

If one is separating himself from the others, we'll know by either Sunday or Monday of next week. First day of pads is tomorrow and scrimmages Wednesday and Saturday. Monday would be a good day to shoot for after film eval on Sunday from scrimmages unless one is head and shoulders above the rest and they announce it on Sunday.

If no one is consistent enough to pull ahead, then probably by the next week, giving the starter enough time to practice with the ones. I just don't see this staff wanting to draw it out any longer. The quicker a starter is named, the quicker things can be molded and everyone gets comfortable. Malzahn has already said that finding the QB is priority #1. They'll all be evaluating as much as they can. They already have.

I'll say 55% Monday, 25% Sunday, and 20% the next week.

I think that the coaches will know about a week before it is announced. Since practices are closed, no media coverage and I bet that the coaches will have their mind made up and start giving one qb more reps. The players may be asked to keep what goes on in practice quiet until they make the announcement.

I think that the coaches will know about a week before it is announced. Since practices are closed, no media coverage and I bet that the coaches will have their mind made up and start giving one qb more reps. The players may be asked to keep what goes on in practice quiet until they make the announcement.

Good point. That could happen. Why not let our opponent prepare for at least 2 Qbs? There could easily be a date where the players know but the public doesn't know until a few days later. I know we have similar Qbs in that they all can run pretty well and throw but i'd want to know rather quickly if i had to go up against NM. Why not let WSU's coaches and players do more work than they have to?!

Personally, I'd say we could know at any time after about Thursday of this week. I think Gus knows the advantage of choosing a starter early, and If they feel one has separated himselves from the others, it will give is a great amount if time for our starter to prepare with the other starters

Good point. That could happen. Why not let our opponent prepare for at least 2 Qbs? There could easily be a date where the players know but the public doesn't know until a few days later. I know we have similar Qbs in that they all can run pretty well and throw but i'd want to know rather quickly if i had to go up against NM. Why not let WSU's coaches and players do more work than they have to?!

If we were opening against Clemson (or some other decent opponent) I (maybe) could see trying to be tricky about who the starting QB is, but for WSU is it really worth sacrificing the time to build team chemistry? Also, would you really trust 18-22 year old kids to keep that secret for more than a couple days (another player gets dismissed, or one of the QB's decides to transfer and the cats out of the bag)?

The only thing I can see that might cause the coaches to delay is a fear that Frazer will transfer if he doesn't get it (he still has his redshirt to burn if he wants to go to another D1 school).

I think they get two scrimmages in and make the call next Sunday or Monday.

I am going to predict there will be a presser on Monday August 12th...and I still believe Frazier will be the game 1 starter.

when they know they will announce. not before of too long after. one thing I have not seen mentioned is that it could be just so close that it could make for a hard and prolonged decision. none of the 4 would surprise me too much.

If we were opening against Clemson (or some other decent opponent) I (maybe) could see trying to be tricky about who the starting QB is, but for WSU is it really worth sacrificing the time to build team chemistry? Also, would you really trust 18-22 year old kids to keep that secret for more than a couple days (another player gets dismissed, or one of the QB's decides to transfer and the cats out of the bag)?

The only thing I can see that might cause the coaches to delay is a fear that Frazer will transfer if he doesn't get it (he still has his redshirt to burn if he wants to go to another D1 school).

As he stated..it doesn't mean the starter isn't getting the reps to prepare for WSU. It only means the public doesn't know who the starter is. There is no media...no video. Only players and coaches giving us reports so if Gus wanted to hold out telling the public in order to keep it from WSU say a week or a week and half it doesn't mean that the Qb Gus has named wasn't getting starter reps the week before.

Just saying it is a good point if that where to happen. It wouldn't hurt us in any way...only WSU. Players have kept things close to the vest before. I don't think it would affect chemistry...the team would know and be practicing with the starter. Unless one of us are in those practices we can only go by what the coaches and players say.

If Gus were to demand them not to tell in knowing it could help them win the game then sure i'd trust our players to respect his wishes. I'm sure they'd like to win the game and get every advantage they could. Not saying this is likely to happen but it is a good point IMO.

As he stated..it doesn't mean the starter isn't getting the reps to prepare for WSU. It only means the public doesn't know who the starter is. There is no media...no video. Only players and coaches giving us reports so if Gus wanted to hold out telling the public in order to keep it from WSU say a week or a week and half it doesn't mean that the Qb Gus has named wasn't getting starter reps the week before. Just saying it is a good point if that where to happen. It wouldn't hurt us in any way...only WSU. Players have kept things clost to the vest. Unless one of us are in those practices we can only go by what the coaches and players say. If Gus were to demand them not to tell in knowing it could help them win the game then sure i'd trust our players to respect his wishes. I'm sure they'd like to win the game and get every advantage they could. Not saying this is likely to happen but it is a good point IMO.

Okay, I'm not saying it's completely outside the realm of possibility, but that's still more of a mid-season play ("Starting QB got hurt last week - maybe he'll play this week, maybe not"). IMO not having a leader for the team to [publicly] rally around would hurt AU far more than playing a mind-game at this point would hurt WSU (especially after last season - a big part of what the coaches had to do was pull the team back together mentally and emotionally).

Again, I'm not saying it's impossible - but I don't buy it.

As he stated..it doesn't mean the starter isn't getting the reps to prepare for WSU. It only means the public doesn't know who the starter is. There is no media...no video. Only players and coaches giving us reports so if Gus wanted to hold out telling the public in order to keep it from WSU say a week or a week and half it doesn't mean that the Qb Gus has named wasn't getting starter reps the week before. Just saying it is a good point if that where to happen. It wouldn't hurt us in any way...only WSU. Players have kept things clost to the vest. Unless one of us are in those practices we can only go by what the coaches and players say. If Gus were to demand them not to tell in knowing it could help them win the game then sure i'd trust our players to respect his wishes. I'm sure they'd like to win the game and get every advantage they could. Not saying this is likely to happen but it is a good point IMO.

Okay, I'm not saying it's completely outside the realm of possibility, but that's still more of a mid-season play ("Starting QB got hurt last week - maybe he'll play this week, maybe not"). IMO not having a leader for the team to [publicly] rally around would hurt AU far more than playing a mind-game at this point would hurt WSU (especially after last season - a big part of what the coaches had to do was pull the team back together mentally and emotionally).

Again, I'm not saying it's impossible - but I don't buy it.

I hear yah. Until it was mentioned i didn't think about it..that's all. I agree that all indications are that Gus is eager to name the starter and will do so as soon as they feel they have one but i wouldn't be opposed to him doing something like that if he thought it would give us an advantage.

who cares? The coaches know what they are doing. We don't need or deserve to know anything and everything. It wouldn't matter to me if we find out August 31 when we get our first possession.

who cares? The coaches know what they are doing. We don't need or deserve to know anything and everything. It wouldn't matter to me if we find out August 31 when we get our first possession.

Apparently some do. Chill man. It's all nice discussion. True we'll know when we'll know but that's not going to stop dicussions.

I am going to predict there will be a presser on Monday August 12th...and I still believe Frazier will be the game 1 starter.

I agree with the date but disagree with the choice (not hating on KF as I think he's a great kid). I also don't really see any reason in trying in trying to hide who the starter is. While Marshall is probably a better runner than the other 3, I doubt it would make much of a difference in how WSU prepares for any of the QB's.

Archived