Date Qb will be named?

auburnpride99

I think that the coaches will know about a week before it is announced. Since practices are closed, no media coverage and I bet that the coaches will have their mind made up and start giving one qb more reps. The players may be asked to keep what goes on in practice quiet until they make the announcement.

Good point. That could happen. Why not let our opponent prepare for at least 2 Qbs? There could easily be a date where the players know but the public doesn't know until a few days later. I know we have similar Qbs in that they all can run pretty well and throw but i'd want to know rather quickly if i had to go up against NM. Why not let WSU's coaches and players do more work than they have to?!

If we were opening against Clemson (or some other decent opponent) I (maybe) could see trying to be tricky about who the starting QB is, but for WSU is it really worth sacrificing the time to build team chemistry? Also, would you really trust 18-22 year old kids to keep that secret for more than a couple days (another player gets dismissed, or one of the QB's decides to transfer and the cats out of the bag)?

The only thing I can see that might cause the coaches to delay is a fear that Frazer will transfer if he doesn't get it (he still has his redshirt to burn if he wants to go to another D1 school).

I think they get two scrimmages in and make the call next Sunday or Monday.

I was wondering if NM is named starter if they would RS KF and JJ to prep them for the future. With KF it seems to be psychological and something he could overcome with time. NM may just be too awesome not to play with him the read option should be deadly.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am going to predict there will be a presser on Monday August 12th...and I still believe Frazier will be the game 1 starter.

I agree with the date but disagree with the choice (not hating on KF as I think he's a great kid). I also don't really see any reason in trying in trying to hide who the starter is. While Marshall is probably a better runner than the other 3, I doubt it would make much of a difference in how WSU prepares for any of the QB's.

Agreed to a certain extent. All 4 of the QBs can run but I'd say only 2 would be asked to run a whole lot. JW can certainly run and be agile, but he looks to be much more of a pocket passer. Kiehl is a runner - he has the build for it and it's his best talent at QB. Marshall is also more of a runner. If it's either of these two, they'll likely be pretty heavily involved with the run. I see Wallace and Johnson being more pocket passers who run the ball maybe 7 or 8 times a game but would prefer to hand off and manage the offense from the pocket. Marshall and Frazier would be more like 15 to 20 carries per game.

Still though, the offense will definitely involve a good bit of QB running to go along with the backs that we have. And in terms of preparation, I doubt WSU will do a whole lot differently depending on who it is. I doubt WSU cares that much about defense anyway to be honest.

I am going to predict there will be a presser on Monday August 12th...and I still believe Frazier will be the game 1 starter.

I agree with the date but disagree with the choice (not hating on KF as I think he's a great kid). I also don't really see any reason in trying in trying to hide who the starter is. While Marshall is probably a better runner than the other 3, I doubt it would make much of a difference in how WSU prepares for any of the QB's.

I think it will be NM and KF will be RS'd along with JJ to prep them for the future. KF has the raw tools, but needs developing further IMHO.

I don't think the identity of the QB will determine much about the offense we use against WSU. The offense will be the offense....though maybe some of the plays and play sequences will vary depending who is the QB, if the coaches name him now or later it probably doesn't make much difference to WSU in preparing for AU.

I think that after the second scrimage and a day to evaluate, would be the probable date. That said why does everyone think that the longer it goes the worse it is ? Maybe we have 4 talented QBs like CGM said and they want to see them all. Gus made JJ and NM a promise to give theme a fair chance and he will keep that promise. Contrary to most folks I hear, I think that CGM and CRL are both confident in starting JW or KF. If JJ or NM prove to be better overall then they will start them, but they are going to have to be better. That takes more than being athletic, running ability or even a strong arm. The big thing that JJ and NM have to overcome, is being able to get the team behind them and to accept them as a leader without any real experience here. Most probably didn't follow, but when Cam came in he worked hard during the spring not only to learn the system, but to prove to the other players by paying the price. While the players talk favorable of NM and JJ, I would be supprised if the team has already accepted them as leaders at this point. I can assure you that unless that happens they wil not start. That is why I would be extremely supprised if they start game one. That said I will be happy with any of the four. I think KF and JW sometimes get blamed for all the trouble last year but that was not all their fault. I think they are both capable of being very good SEC level QBs. War Eagle.

I think that after the second scrimage and a day to evaluate, would be the probable date. That said why does everyone think that the longer it goes the worse it is ? Maybe we have 4 talented QBs like CGM said and they want to see them all. Gus made JJ and NM a promise to give theme a fair chance and he will keep that promise. Contrary to most folks I hear, I think that CGM and CRL are both confident in starting JW or KF. If JJ or NM prove to be better overall then they will start them, but they are going to have to be better. That takes more than being athletic, running ability or even a strong arm. The big thing that JJ and NM have to overcome, is being able to get the team behind them and to accept them as a leader without any real experience here. Most probably didn't follow, but when Cam came in he worked hard during the spring not only to learn the system, but to prove to the other players by paying the price. While the players talk favorable of NM and JJ, I would be supprised if the team has already accepted them as leaders at this point. I can assure you that unless that happens they wil not start. That is why I would be extremely supprised if they start game one. That said I will be happy with any of the four. I think KF and JW sometimes get blamed for all the trouble last year but that was not all their fault. I think they are both capable of being very good SEC level QBs. War Eagle.

+100

+1 I don't think it will take much for the team to get behind JJ or NM. Sure more time with the group helps but guys see that you can play at high level and lead the team with confidence...they will follow. Guys read and watch video just like we do so they know the articles and comments on both new guys and it seems thus far they've been impressed. They'll have NM or JJ's respect if they show they are better.

I agree. I just feel this is his time. He grew up in this offense, he was recruited by Gus just for this. He's had his bumps and bruises along the way. He's had a year to grow up. I think with 2 very manageable games to start the season he could be really primed going into week 3. With no one to get in Gus's way now I'm fully expecting to see our offense explode this season. Everywhere he's coached his offense has been lights out with less talent. I'm expecting 40 points minimum for each of the first two games to start. WDE!

I'd bet this is going to take longer than we hope because Nick Marshall will show his phenom-potential side as well as his coach-ulcer-inducing habit of throwing a buttload of interceptions.

2 weeks.

august 12th. After a few days in pads and a scrimmage the coaches see what they need to see.

Well since season gets underway in about 3 1'2 weeks, I would hope coach Malzahn would already know who his starting QB is going to be.

If you do not have one QB, you do not have a QB.

News flash guys. We are not "stacked" with NFL All pro type players at the QB spot this year. We have a few that have the tools to be special, but have yet to develop.

If ones of these players cannot seperate himself from the pack early in fall practice....its gonna be another long year.

We need a clear leader to step up. We need it now. Not in 3 weeks.

Announcement will be made after the second scrimmage.

Still say it will be Marshall and Wallace will be the back up.

I agree with the order of Marshall #1 and Wallace as backup. Seems likely to me.

Just a guess - Monday after the scrimmage on Saturday.

News flash guys. We are not "stacked" with NFL All pro type players at the QB spot this year. We have a few that have the tools to be special, but have yet to develop.

If ones of these players cannot seperate himself from the pack early in fall practice....its gonna be another long year.

Just a hunch (after reading some of the articles having to do with being "creative" in practice in order to be able to look at all four QBs, it is clear that 4 QBs are disruptive and not efficient in the flow of practice nor can they practice as fast with 4 QBs, also you can look at the pairings during practice: QB/QB and QB/RB)...looking for an announcement by Monday, could be as early as Thursday, if there are no surprises. At the least, I would expect it to be whittled down to 2. Coaches will throw a lot at the QBs during this scrimmage to see if who they believe are the top two are indeed the top two, i.e. can they do it in pads and under pressure.

Just a hunch (after reading some of the articles having to do with being "creative" in practice in order to be able to look at all four QBs, it is clear that 4 QBs are disruptive and not efficient in the flow of practice)...looking for an announcement Monday. At the least, I would expect it to be whittled down to 2.

finally, a logical post. I cant guess when, but agree two will be eliminated, the one scrimmage later the starter will be named. The closer the competition is the longer this goes, good or bad.

Just a hunch (after reading some of the articles having to do with being "creative" in practice in order to be able to look at all four QBs, it is clear that 4 QBs are disruptive and not efficient in the flow of practice)...looking for an announcement Monday. At the least, I would expect it to be whittled down to 2.

finally, a logical post. I cant guess when, but agree two will be eliminated, the one scrimmage later the starter will be named. The closer the competition is the longer this goes, good or bad.

Agreed. I think that by the end of the scrimmage today, the coaches have a pretty good idea of who their top 2 are. After that, IMO they will start taking more reps with the 1's and 2's.

It's Marshall. Gus admitted that even he didn't know Cam's ability to run back in '10. He just knew Cam had a ton of athletic ability. I know the difference is that Cam was around in spring but he was still unproven as a solid SEC QB. Coach will build the offense around Marshall and like Cam, Marshall will progress as the games are played...I hope.

Archived