2013 Fall Camp - Practice 18--Scrimmage (Sat, Aug 17)

RunInRed

WarEagleExtra ‏@wareagleextra 24m

Malzahn team went full-pads today. Focused on punt/kick return, blitz pickup,

Justin Hokanson ‏@JHokanson 2m

#Auburn H-back Jay Prosch says he hasn't carried the ball much in fall camp, but he's "caught a bunch of passes." Prosch is intriguing.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure why the guys would not be there at all, but it's possible they were there and WDEWDE just didn't see them (if they weren't dressed). Ford and Harrell are both injured so not practicing is clearly not a surprise.

Regardless, I'm guessing Sanders and Owens are decidedly not our first team DEs. The guess here is that, with Ford already out, we held out our top two DEs to rep the backups harder. We can't afford any more injuries at that spot to the guys we already trust. At this point, we should know what we have in those two guys.

I'm not particularly surprised Owens is getting reps at DE. We need dudes that can rush the passer, and he fits the bill. That also implies that Ford could miss at least the opener. Gus said he hoped Ford wouldn't miss, but if we're moving guys to rush end, it seems like we're, at minimum, preparing for his absence.

That makes sense. It will be interesting to see if the Owens move is temporary until Ford returns or permanent. If it is permanent it might indicate that EJ is becoming more comfortable with the 3 deep at LB.

Auburn shifted focus to Washington State today. C.J. Uzomah smiled, said it's exciting to start thinking exclusively about the opener.

C.J. Uzomah said Wallace is a "more cerebral guy" at QB, while Marshall and Johnson can improvise better when play breaks down.

Uzomah said Jonathan Wallace knows all the protections and schemes well, while other 2 are "rusty with offense in general," but extend play.

Uzomah said Kiehl Frazier will be "big-time threat" for D: "I think he looks really well. Just because he's a QB, so he knows schemes."

Uzomah on Nick Marshall: "Showing how athletic he is and how fast he is, his ability to extend the play ... it's something kind of special."

@AUBlog

C.J. Uzomah said Kiehl Frazier "tried" to cover him once, the TE won

@JamesCrepea

I just left the scrimmage...

•Nick Marshall's the guy!

•Ladarius Owens is back at DE. (1st team)

•Keihl will see significant action at Safety.

•Craig Sanders running with the 1's.

•Lawson will play a lot!

•Much better coaches than last year.

•The D worked primarily out of the Dime (Wazzu Prep)

•No Shows: D McNeal (obviously), N Eguea, D Ford, K Herrell, K Carter

Nice info. Never doubted Nick as the #1 man! Turn UP!

Ryan Wood ‏@AUBlog 1m

Uzomah said Kiehl Frazier will be "big-time threat" for D: "I think he looks really well. Just because he's a QB, so he knows schemes."

Ryan Wood ‏@AUBlog 2m

Uzomah said Wallace is a "more cerebral guy" at QB, while Marshall and Johnson can improvise better when play breaks down.

Ryan Wood ‏@AUBlog 5m

Uzomah said Jonathan Wallace knows all the protections and schemes well, while other 2 are "rusty with offense in general," but extend play.

I just left the scrimmage...

•Nick Marshall's the guy!

•Ladarius Owens is back at DE. (1st team)

•Keihl will see significant action at Safety.

•Craig Sanders running with the 1's.

•Lawson will play a lot!

•Much better coaches than last year.

•The D worked primarily out of the Dime (Wazzu Prep)

•No Shows: D McNeal (obviously), N Eguea, D Ford, K Herrell, K Carter

BOOM Baby!!! Go get'em Nick!!

You know it! :wareagle:

Joel A. Erickson ‏@JoelAEricksonAU 4m

C.J. Uzomah knew Nick Marshall coming out of high school, says Marshall's athleticism, ability to extend plays is amazing. "Blazing" speed.

Ryan Wood ‏@AUBlog 4m

Uzomah on Nick Marshall: "Showing how athletic he is and how fast he is, his ability to extend the play ... it's something kind of special."

one person there says NM played super, another says JW and JJ played better. I think a lot of this is due to who you are favoring. I prefer to wait on the coaches choice.

Marshall was 1st team...

Wallace was ok, but Marshall is heads and shoulders the better QB.

Wallace threw a pick in 7 on's... Marshall had no picks... Johnson threw a pick, but it was a GREAT play by Frost.

Either way, Marshall's the guy.

Sounds like Frost may work his way back to being a starter. He'll get good playing time for sure but he may be a better game time guy than when it comes to practice.

one person there says NM played super, another says JW and JJ played better. I think a lot of this is due to who you are favoring. I prefer to wait on the coaches choice.

Marshall was 1st team...

Wallace threw a pick in 7 on's... Marshall had no picks... Johnson threw a pick, but it was a GREAT play by Frost.

Sounds like Frost may work his way back to being a starter. He'll get good playing time for sure but he may be a better game time guy than when it comes to practice.

Holland played well too.

Interesting notes on the WRs. Altima, would you agree with the assessment that Louis was our best WR? What did you see from Marcus Davis? Was he playing over Bray or essentially backing him up? Anything from Jaylon Denson? Seems to have disappeared since spring.

Recievers we're solid. Louis is a stud! Davis gets open, he's that quick! Denson made some nice catches in 7 on's.

Has Davis completely healed from his injury? Seems like the freshman WRs are going to get a chance to play a lot. Just don't get why our other WRs can't step up.

Sounds like the players are split on who has looked best at QB. I do like the fact that it sounds like we have more than one option at the QB position.

Marshall was 1st team...

Holland played well too.

Ok. Good to know. Thanks Altima!

Sounds like the players are split on who has looked best at QB. I do like the fact that it sounds like we have more than one option at the QB position.

It looks like we have come a long way in upgrading the talent level from top to bottom at the QB position too.

2012- Moseley, Frazier, Wallace

2013- Marshall, Johnson, Wallace

I'm surprised about Miller working with the 1's at RT. I was told last Monday that Young and Coleman were getting the vast majority of the 1st team reps there so far in camp.

Sounds like the choice on the RT seems like it's going to come down to the last minute and could be fluid into the first 2 or 3 games.

Notes from 23

-at QB Nick with the ones. JJ took the first snaps with the twos, but JW took most of the snaps with the twos.

- At LB Cas and Jake were the main guys with the ones.

-WRs struggled to get open against man D.

-Louis was balling,

-Garrett was out of the boot but didn't play.

-King was working at star.

-Gimel and Delaine worked with the twos at DE.

I'm surprised about Miller working with the 1's at RT. I was told last Monday that Young and Coleman were getting the vast majority of the 1st team reps there so far in camp.

Sounds like the choice on the RT seems like it's going to come down to the last minute and could be fluid into the first 2 or 3 games.

Looking like Miller w/Coleman as back-up. Avery has good enough footwork to play Guard so learning a second position. Next man up with little or no drop-off. Encouraging!

I missed the Miller working with 1s. Where was that? Also it may not mean much. Ken Carter is a #1 at DE but did not work much today and was not hurt.

Archived