"Controversial" Team Names - give me a break

mustache eagle

So far there have been around 8-10 people comment in this thread. Only one appears offended by the use of the redskins.

Im simply offended that a slim minority of people can manipulate what others do. Who is going to speak up for me?!?! I have been offended by the offended because they want me to be forced to change what the vast majority (including the Native American posters in this thread) deem to be acceptable.

It is racist. However, I have a simple solution. Change their mascot to this:

turkey-kielbasa-warm-potato-salad-3712-200.jpg

Problem solved

Nothing wrong with the name Redskins.

My undergraduate school still is the Miami Redskins.to me and most of the alumni who graduated. Why? Because the Miami Indian tribe that used to live in that region and were unceremoniously exiled to Oklahoma during the Trail of Tears era were proud of that institution, the image and the recognition, so endorsed by the tribal chief and their elders.

So now they are the Redhawks. What the hell is a red hawk? Red tailed hawk yes, but Redhawks?

so the do-rights can't even get that right.

Nothing wrong with the name Redskins.

My undergraduate school still is the Miami Redskins.to me and most of the alumni who graduated. Why? Because the Miami Indian tribe that used to live in that region and were unceremoniously exiled to Oklahoma during the Trail of Tears era were proud of that institution, the image and the recognition, so endorsed by the tribal chief and their elders.

So now they are the Redhawks. What the hell is a red hawk? Red tailed hawk yes, but Redhawks?

so the do-rights can't even get that right.

The request for the change had the support of the Miami tribe and Miami University was honoring their request.

Personally I'd worry more about being

called a lucky_figure_300437.pngCeltic 323288236_leprechaun_xlarge.jpegfighting Irish, or a 248069.jpeg Minuteman.

UMass proposed getting rid of the minuteman mascot and replacing it with a gray wolf mascot. They claimed it was a marketing change to help generate sales of school licensed clothing, etc. The student and alumni revolted and they kept their rifle toting white male........shocking

998937-c.jpg

Personally I'd worry more about being

called a lucky_figure_300437.pngCeltic 323288236_leprechaun_xlarge.jpegfighting Irish, or a 248069.jpeg Minuteman.

UMass proposed getting rid of the minuteman mascot and replacing it with a gray wolf mascot. They claimed it was a marketing change to help generate sales of school licensed clothing, etc. The student and alumni revolted and they kept their rifle toting white male........shocking

998937-c.jpg

Those three have not typically been used as a pejorative term for a large group of people. If they were the Notre Dame fighting micks you'd have a point. It's a bad comparison.

Pejorative is in the eye if the beholder, simply being Lilly-White is plenty enough for a large number.... Being Irish is more than enough in some circles, even without the bald headed short tempered fuse... And if'n you're a minute-man I regretfully pity the wife sir. The point being if you look hard enough it's easy to offend most anyone, especially if they're looking for a soapbox to stand upon.

Pejorative is in the eye if the beholder, simply being Lilly-White is plenty enough for a large number.... Being Irish is more than enough in some circles, even without the bald headed short tempered fuse... And if'n you're a minute-man I regretfully pity the wife sir. The point being if you look hard enough it's easy to offend most anyone, especially if they're looking for a soapbox to stand upon.

Context matters. Sure, anything can be used to express disdain, but Irish/Celtic/Minuteman are not ethnic slurs. In fact, I've never heard of any of these being considered insults.

Does Webster's dictionary have some sort of a PC bias because they included "usually offensive" in the definition? Redskin is an ethnic slur. It is mocking, even if unintentionally. Look up the history of the name in comparison to the Fighting Irish (However, despite superficial similarities, the two cases aren’t really the same, what with the U.S. never having committed acts of genocide against the Irish and so forth), Celtics (Boston's sizable Irish population), and Minutemen (If you're American and don't know who the Minutemen were, you need to go back to grade school). This whole line of reasoning nothing but false equivalence nonsense. Read the lyrics to the early Redskin's fight song, which has since been changed. Read an article or two on George Preston Marshall and his thoughts on race relations. There is no comparison and no doubt about the word's racial insensitivity.

Also, just so we're clear, I don't have a problem with team names like the Seminoles or even the Cleveland Indians.

Not to be confused with an actual debate nor thoughtful reply...

... my original premise was more in hopeful-satire than substance. And wasn't really an attempt to deride those historical Men of the minute -nor- the Irish.

However you have to look no further than the Official Notre Dame Athletic website to discover several explanations for their nickname. Which lists the most probable being it, "likely began as an abusive expression tauntingly directed toward the athletes from the small, private, Catholic institution". To which, to again borrow from Merriam-Webster, a taunt is defined as, 1) a sarcastic challenge or insult, 2) to say insulting things to (someone) in order to make that person angry 3) to reproach or challenge in a mocking or insulting manner : jeer at.

I'd agree this term has become one of endearment to the faithful and it's implication somewhat lessened in today's parlance; however in a great many places (still to the day) mention of Fighting Irish or Notre Dame is not one of endearment, but rather one of an impending eschatological reckoning and very likely to draw more than a sneer. The Boston Celtic logo is merely another similar construct with the shamrock, the leprechaun, and the Kelly Green. The whole of American Culture has been predicated upon immigration and it's often a derogatory situation when in large number, en mass (sic) cheap labor, and with an unwanted religion in tow. The Irish have certainly turned it full circle, but it's not always received in the same good nature or manner. And the buckle... of the bible belt... may indeed be more egregious in that respect.

And likewise, just to be clear, I also don't have a problem with these names, ethnicities, nor this one religion. However I do find political correctness a bit more than a bore.

Archived