Special Teams Play

autiger6

Coach Gran has done a great job with special teams this year with the help of great players. I know many people don't like Carnell returning punts but as we have seen in recent weeks he has made big plays at key times. I honestly think we sometimes overlook that the players are basically being interviewed each game for the next level. I think #24, #23, and #14 have increased there stock playing on special teams this year. So for this game do you think Bama will punt to Carnell? I pulled up some stats for both teams showing the comparison to some key areas.

Bama punters stats

PUNTS-YARDS................... 54-2219

Average Per Punt............ 41.1

Net punt average............ 38.4

Auburn punter stats

PUNTS-YARDS................... 39-1585

Average Per Punt............ 40.6

Net punt average............ 38.4

Bama Kick/Punt stats

KICK RETURNS: #-YARDS......... 22-593

PUNT RETURNS: #-YARDS......... 29-195

INT RETURNS: #-YARDS.......... 9-92

KICK RETURN AVERAGE........... 27.0

PUNT RETURN AVERAGE........... 6.7

Auburn Kick/Punt stats

KICK RETURNS: #-YARDS......... 9-222

PUNT RETURNS: #-YARDS......... 30-411

INT RETURNS: #-YARDS.......... 13-80

KICK RETURN AVERAGE........... 24.7

PUNT RETURN AVERAGE........... 13.7

John Vaughn FG/PATS ** Tied with Carnell for 66 points**

John Vaughn 8-10 42-43

Brian Bostick FG/PTS **note he leads the team in points at 74**

Brian Bostick 0 14-17 32-32

Kickoff Touchbacks

Bama

KICKOFFS No. Yds Avg TB OB

---------------------------------------------

J. Christensen 56 3473 62.0 21 7

Auburn

KICKOFFS No. Yds Avg TB OB

---------------------------------------------

Philip Yost 63 3913 62.1 32 4

:au::cheer:

Hope everyone travels safely to the game and for those not living in Birmingham be sure to leave in plenty of time due to a lot of traffic that normally goes 20 will all be on I 459 due to the bridge construction. I20 will be open but they have been only having two lanes opened which means when trying to merge off I65 with some of these Bammer drivers it could be a nightmare.

Special teams play in this game is going to be BIGGGGGGGGGG! Bammer will try to play defense, punt the ball deep and hope for a turnover on the short end of the field. Count on it! ;):au:

One stat that doesn't show there is the number of times Kody has put the ball inside the 20 on punts from around midfield. He did that two or three times against UGA and I've seen it many times throughout the season. That hurts his average, but sure is valuable in terms of field position! WAR EAGLE

Archived