Now......

wt

If NM comes back and JJ gets little or no playing time the rest of the way, this would be the dumbest decision ever by the coaches. Wasting a year of JJ's eligibility to play an FCS opponent?? And not even the entire game? Ridiculous.

Why not restrain your contingent rage since you don't have any idea yet if you have any reason to be angry?

Fair enough. I made the post before CGM said in the postgame that JJ would play a lot down the stretch. If that turns out to be true, I'll have less reservations about burning the redshirt.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If NM comes back and JJ gets little or no playing time the rest of the way, this would be the dumbest decision ever by the coaches. Wasting a year of JJ's eligibility to play an FCS opponent?? And not even the entire game? Ridiculous.

Why not restrain your contingent rage since you don't have any idea yet if you have any reason to be angry?

Fair enough. I made the post before CGM said in the postgame that JJ would play a lot down the stretch. If that turns out to be true, I'll have less reservations about burning the redshirt.

Well, we wouldn't want you to have reservations. Anything but that.

Just like the Kiehl groupies earlier this year, the Wallace folks need to Let. It. Go.

He's a great kid, a smart guy, a team leader because of his high character, a hard worker and an exemplary teammate. But he was never the true #2 QB. He was the guy to get mop up duty and spell Marshall a couple of snaps or a series here and there to preserve Johnson's redshirt. If Marshall were to miss significant game time, JJ was going to be the guy. This was said over and over and over again before the year ever kicked off. And that is exactly what is happening.

Period.

The end.

Oh it won't be the end on here, but it should be!

Finé.

Marshall, and I'm still steaming at Malzahn burning JJ's redshirt against Western Carolina instead of just playing the very competent (especially against WCU) Wallace all game long.

Need to pull a Spurior. NM starts and plays. JJ gets one series a half. If JJ looks on target, he gets two.

But no controversy. Make DCs prepare for 2 totally different QBs. Drives them nuts.

+1

Marshall, and I'm still steaming at Malzahn burning JJ's redshirt against Western Carolina instead of just playing the very competent (especially against WCU) Wallace all game long.

Honestly, I don't understand the anger at burning a redshirt. If JJ is as good as we hope he is, he was never going to be a 5th year senior anyway. If turns out to be not that good, we already have highly ranked QB prospects committed for the next 2 signing classes, and will continue to go after others.

Others have made the point, but I will repeat it here. The college game has changed enough that the days of redshirting hot shot freshmen are pretty much over.

Just like the Kiehl groupies earlier this year, the Wallace folks need to Let. It. Go.

He's a great kid, a smart guy, a team leader because of his high character, a hard worker and an exemplary teammate. But he was never the true #2 QB. He was the guy to get mop up duty and spell Marshall a couple of snaps or a series here and there to preserve Johnson's redshirt. If Marshall were to miss significant game time, JJ was going to be the guy. This was said over and over and over again before the year ever kicked off. And that is exactly what is happening.

Period.

The end.

Finé.

50246-so-youre-saying-theres-a-chanc-toCD.jpeg

Gus already posted on Twitter NM is still the starter and so did JJ. Everyone seems to be acting like JJ did this vs a decent team. Yes I was very impressed with him but I think NM would have done just as well if not better. Gus was just getting his back up plan warmed up so his first snaps wouldn't be on the road in the SEC. Good coaching on multiple regards, JJ gets his feat wet and builds confidence, NM gets to rest his knee and watch the game from a different point of view.

Could be what Gus was planning in his mad scientist way. Force Sumlin to prepare two different gameplans. Gus is a freaking genius.

So, Gus planned Marshall's injury? Did Gus take a sledge hammer and hit Marshall's knee or just have Rodney Garner sit on Marshall's leg in the dorm? Gus may be making the best of a bad situation but to call him a genius for doing the unavoidable is nonsense.

To say he burned the redshirt is just plain stupid. JJ is the number 2 guy and has been all season. He needed the reps and adds a different dimension to the offense. I can slightly understand why some dont get that due to thinking that it was only WCU but what I can't comprehend is why anyone would think Gus would do this just to "burn" his redshirt. He understands the reasoning way better than most of us and also is known to be a top notch QB coach. Let the man work and have some faith. Look at where we are and remember where we were a year ago.... thats all because of GM so im sure this decision was made for a good reason.

Gus's thinking was "If NM gets injured in a game, can we rely on Wallace to finish up the season, and expect to win any other game except Florida Atlantic?" The answer to this question is NO. Even against WCU on Saturday, they only let Wallace throw one pass. I realize we weren't trying to move the ball/score at that point, but if they had a lot of faith in Wallace at QB, they would have let him work on his short throws, to get timing and accuracy fine-tuned. This was the telling sign to me that JJ had to get game experience, and if NM gets hurt, or maybe even just has a bad game, that JJ will be the one that comes in to finish the game and/or season, not Wallace. With Tyler Queen and Sean White already in the pipeline, and I'm sure many more elite QB's seeing our passing number this season, we will be fine at QB going forward.

... and where he really couldn't afford to pull NM too even check his condition 2 weeks ago... we now have a to go to no.2.

not-sure-if-serious-or-just-stupid.jpg

Period.

The end.

Finé.

So, it sounds like NM's knee injury is much more serious than is being said in pressers

In the Ole Miss game, Marshall was great because of his running and a few key passes most of which were screens. But he continued to miss open receivers and at the end Ole Miss almost caught up. Also Ole Miss had some issues and self imploded on certain series. The inaccurate and inconsistent passing is going to be a problem against top SEC teams. I made this point on another thread, I realize that this was a lessor opponent but you have to be impressed with JJ's accuracy. He hit receivers on the edges, in the middle, and on the run. I think other than the interception (which he held the ball too long on), he threw one ball behind Quan Bray. He also has mobility in the pocket. I think he has the skills needed to beat A&M. But the coaches know best. I do wonder if a platoon situation is at hand depending on how effective NM is. That's IF he is healthy enough to play.

This is exactly what I have been saying. You have to start Marshal in my opinion if he is healthy because there are things he does great but if you are expecting him to magically get better at throwing when he has not improved through 5 games then you are crazy. Johnson showed way better touch and timing with the WRs in one game. It does not matter who we played when comparing those two aspects. Can you get it on time and can you hit the open WR. That can be answered in any full speed competition. Compare Marshals throws from a clean pocket to Johnsons and Johnson wins. HIs timing and accuracy are simply better. Now there are other things to consider though. Controlling the safeties with your eyes, being a leader of the team, and escaping pressure, those are things Marshal does well that we still do not know for sure about Johnson and for those reasons you have to start Marshal. If Marshal could throw like Johnson then we would have a slightly lesser version of Johnny football.

Period.

The end.

Finé.

So, it sounds like NM's knee injury is much more serious than is being said in pressers

No, it's about accurate...it's serious enough that he could miss more time or it could be easy to re-injure. You don't wait until he goes down and can't return at all to get Johnson ready. You have to take the opportunity that a game against WCU gives you to get his feet wet. If Marshall heals well and is able to play more, great. You can still use Johnson. But all these idiots that act like unless Gus perfectly predicts exactly how Nick's knee will respond to rest and treatment and handles JJ's redshirt accordingly don't have a clue.

I think CGM's decision is reflective of his aspirations for this season. I know this may sound crazy to some but AU controls its own destiny in the SEC West. Every game that remains on the schedule is winnable but an injury can change all of that. I think AU has built quality depth and has proven it can win with injuries at most every position but the QB. This move provides some insurance.

Also, don't get me wrong with the above statement, I like Wallace. He is a scrappy player, and his football IQ is very high. He just isn't quite at the level to be an SEC starting QB. He's got potential, but with the talent we are bringing in at QB, I think he will fall down the depth chart. Not sure of his other skills, but I wonder if he could play slot receiver? He seems to have the quickness, and the speed.

Could be what Gus was planning in his mad scientist way. Force Sumlin to prepare two different gameplans. Gus is a freaking genius.

So, Gus planned Marshall's injury? Did Gus take a sledge hammer and hit Marshall's knee or just have Rodney Garner sit on Marshall's leg in the dorm? Gus may be making the best of a bad situation but to call him a genius for doing the unavoidable is nonsense.

Yeah, that's what he did. What a stupid post. :laugh:

Perhaps Gus has plans for the occasional pass heavy series of downs and will utilize Johnson to run it. He does appear to be more of a pocket passer than Marshall.

But all conjecture aside, this is merely a covering your bases move by Malzahn. Let's prep the young phenom so should Marshall hurt his knee at the beginning of the game rather than at the end Johnson will. have had a little seasoning.

maybe jj asked to have his redshirt lifted to gain experience for the future? and not to bash jj at all but i read the catamounts are about the worst of the worst so this might not be a true test for jj other than playing in front of big crowds. i can say this.....as much improvement the coaches have gotten out of our team this year i trust them completely. if they make a mistake so be it! being an army brat last year was a horror for me. i never came down on our players because they chose auburn but it is not something i would want to go through again for a long long time. war eagle!!!

They were not being held accountable much less being coached up. NM is the starter as it should be and while WCU is hot garbage, JJ was dead on and in NO way do I think it was just "luck of the draw" that he threw to as many different guys as he did. He got some confidence and decided to say "Watch This". I also noticed that while Sammie Coates never had a pass his way, he was a blocking SOB on every play I saw him in on.

Archived