Kiffin the Recruiter

stealthyfan

So Kiffin recruits well is the rumbling. Toss it out to the in house experts et al, is this a move by Saban to expand Bama's presence on the west coast since Kiffin IMO has a relatively poor rep in the SE?

What does he bring to the table as a recruiter that piqued Saban's interest?

Forget the OC piece and the pole dancing for now, that's another topic.

So Kiffin recruits well is the rumbling. Toss it out to the in house experts et al, is this a move by Saban to expand Bama's presence on the west coast since Kiffin IMO has a relatively poor rep in the SE?

1. Not necessarily. In terms of Raw talent he recruited well at Tennessee and was able to get big time recruits like Leon McQuay, Nelson Agholor, and Leonard Williams from the Southeast to USC. 2. He can just flat out recruit but his track record has shown he is especially good in Florida.

1. Not necessarily. In terms of Raw talent he recruited well at Tennessee and was able to get big time recruits like Leon McQuay, Nelson Agholor, and Leonard Williams from the Southeast to USC. 2. He can just flat out recruit but his track record has shown he is especially good in Florida.

Got that and this was when he was The Future for TN.

His actions (see ya Knoxville) and performance since those days (fired mid season) don't bode well as I look at him. An 18 year old kid is different for sure. But that baggage is dropped with the Saban aura?

His actions (see ya Knoxville) and performance since those days (fired mid season) don't bode well as I look at him. An 18 year old kid is different for sure. But that baggage is dropped with the Saban aura?

That baggage don't mean anything to a number of 18 year old kids. They are very impressionable and many parents are too in terms of recruiting. In recruiting Kiffen is the epitomy of a used car salesman. Getting him in front of an impressionable kid and family is akin to putting a fox in a chicken pin and telling the fox to have at it.

While he is a good recruiter and a good OC, I just don't see how this is going to work. I don't see Kiffin's and Saban's egos co-existing on the same staff. It could be a ticking time-bomb kind of like when Tubbs hired Franklin.

While he is a good recruiter and a good OC, I just don't see how this is going to work. I don't see Kiffin's and Saban's egos co-existing on the same staff. It could be a ticking time-bomb kind of like when Tubbs hired Franklin.

Maybe but if they can coexist it can work well since they both like pro style offenses.

He coexisted under Pete Carroll and actually did well. Like it or not, this is the perfect job for Kiffen. The cupboard is loaded with talent, no media exposure, and he has very little power to screw things up. All he has to do is call plays and recruit.

Let's just hope he blows a couple of close games with his play-calling, rubs his players the wrong way, or does something obviously illegal in recruiting.

Just my observation, but the words "Saban" and "Bama" are usually enough to turn the heads of impressionable 18 year olds. Beyond the "we get our kids to the NFL"...I can't see what unique ability LK brings to the team....its not like there are kids out there dying to run the Kitten's special offense.

After seeing USCw a few times last year, his O was enough to put even his own players to sleep....the most listless and lifeless offense I've seen since Lefty departed from the plains.

Meanwhile, how many more 5* QBs and RBs does bama need? Their team is full of them right now.

Just my observation, but the words "Saban" and "Bama" are usually enough to turn the heads of impressionable 18 year olds. Beyond the "we get our kids to the NFL"...I can't see what unique ability LK brings to the team....its not like there are kids out there dying to run the Kitten's special offense.

After seeing USCw a few times last year, his O was enough to put even his own players to sleep....the most listless and lifeless offense I've seen since Lefty departed from the plains.

Meanwhile, how many more 5* QBs and RBs does bama need? Their team is full of them right now.

In fairness to him as an OC his offenses were good under him in 2005 and 2006 at USC.

I thought Orgeron was the reason Kiffin recruited so well?

Could be ...No one really knows because LK has never had to play with is own players.... USCw or anywhere else...and of course will have that advantage for a couple years a bama too....and then it's off to some other school that is taken in by this charlatan.

USCw has to be one of the easiest schools in the country to recruit at. Unfortunately it is not that hard to recruit well at the crapstone either. I think bama is going to continue to haul in similar classes regardless of Kiffin. I think the question is can he recapture the playcalling and scoring that he produced when strictly an OC and can he work for Saban.

Do you think Kiffen will be complaining about the SEC machine. Or whatever that commit was about how the SEC officials protect their crown jewel. Now that he is at bama.

In fairness to him as an OC his offenses were good under him in 2005 and 2006 at USC.

Yes, with Steve Sarkisian as Co OC and QB coach. Sark generally gets a good bit of credit during the 2005-2006 year. I would say between the two Sark has definitely proved himself.

USC's offense was pathetic this year with Lane calling plays, until he was fired. Then they looked like a completely different (and much better) team.

Remember, this is the guy that famously told Alshon Jeffrey he'd be "pumping gas".

And turned Tajh Boyd away to Clem and let Petty from Baylor go because he didnt fit into their scheme. No biggie but this guy against let's say Rhett or D. Craig? Maybe more experience on Kiffin's side but integrity and a respectable background of recruiting relationships will cancel out any big change with recruiting from UA's corner. May I mention the mental edge AU comes with before the season. Kiffin didn't fair well against AU from his Tenn years. Bama fans believing recruiting will change because these kids can be lied to, yes that may show up a little more but I think some coaches have caught on to "the process" I believe instate we are looking like the new day. Bama is in a position of having to succeed without a QB with SEC experience. That has taken care of itself in recent years but ole kiffy sure didn't have an answer to his own QB problems this year. And they're placing all the money on hopin Coker makes it to turdistan. Kiffin would be "the goat if things don't go well. You kno, no champion chips foe duh tahd.

Why all the new hires? Maybe because if he repeats this year wih less talent, he'll have to sale he farm anyways next year. Better get a "here goes nothing" swing at in there SOONER than later...

I'm going to go for a lack of moral character and a willingness to bend the rules to the point of breaking and then take the fall if something happens.

Someone with more knowledge about Kiffin's recruiting past can correct me, but it was my impression that Kiffin was particularly good with the recruits surrounded by handlers (with their hand out) like Bryce Brown. Maybe I'm painting with too broad a brush, but Kiffin doesn't concern me a whole lot if we stay clear of the mercenary recruits who sniff around for the best deal. I'm curious to see how Kiffin's recruiting style mixes with Bama's current recruiting machine.

Yawn, Kiffin is fine but college football's loaded with good recruiters. He's a high profile name because of his daddy. Kiffin is famous for ditching a major program quickly only to be quickly fired for sucking badly by the program he slinked to. We're only talking about his "back in coaching" instead of his sitting on daddy's front porch or selling insurance just because he's been hired by our cross state rival. Let's get a second opinion on his recruiting moxy from Alton Jeffries.

Yawn, Kiffin is fine but college football's loaded with good recruiters. He's a high profile name because of his daddy. Kiffin is famous for ditching a major program quickly only to be quickly fired for sucking badly by the program he slinked to. We're only talking about his "back in coaching" instead of his sitting on daddy's front porch or selling insurance just because he's been hired by our cross state rival. Let's get a second opinion on his recruiting moxy from Alton Jeffries.

That's Mike Shula's bio. Kiffen ain't Shula bad.

Archived