Recruiting

He can't recruit until late August, but apparently his name alone is worth a lot to some recruits:

Garrett Tucker@GTuckerF150

Bruce Pearl effect already beginning in recruiting. High-level recruit says he is going to be very interested in Auburn now with hire

But Auburn can appeal to the NCAA to drop the sanctions before then, right?

Also, isn't the restriction only for travel. He can still recruit from Auburn?

I suppose they could but the likelihood of success is remote. The NCAA could simply just take their time about it and just let the penalties end on their own in August without ever making a ruling of any kind.

I am not certain if he can have any contact with recruits except on campus. I don't know if he can phone them or anything like that.

Just an opinion here, but I believe the NCAA will lift the suspension as they have gotten blasted for how overly harsh it was and Pearl has done everything right, took his punishment and never whined about it...also Auburn has the right guys on their Athletic staff to make this appeal happen and quickly....His full return is huge for college basketball, the NCAA knows this.

The way he talked this morning, it doesn't sound as if he is thinking they will be lifted.early

This is what he has to do, he can not publicly push for this...he has done everything right so far and the media has already said the NCAA was over the top so everything you are gonna here from Bruce is gonna be party line until the process is complete...the last thing he needs to do is show up the NCAA by pushing to get the show clause lifted.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He can't recruit until late August, but apparently his name alone is worth a lot to some recruits:

Garrett Tucker@GTuckerF150

Bruce Pearl effect already beginning in recruiting. High-level recruit says he is going to be very interested in Auburn now with hire

But Auburn can appeal to the NCAA to drop the sanctions before then, right?

Also, isn't the restriction only for travel. He can still recruit from Auburn?

I suppose they could but the likelihood of success is remote. The NCAA could simply just take their time about it and just let the penalties end on their own in August without ever making a ruling of any kind.

I am not certain if he can have any contact with recruits except on campus. I don't know if he can phone them or anything like that.

Just an opinion here, but I believe the NCAA will lift the suspension as they have gotten blasted for how overly harsh it was and Pearl has done everything right, took his punishment and never whined about it...also Auburn has the right guys on their Athletic staff to make this appeal happen and quickly....His full return is huge for college basketball, the NCAA knows this.

The way he talked this morning, it doesn't sound as if he is thinking they will be lifted.early

This is what he has to do, he can not publicly push for this...he has done everything right so far and the media has already said the NCAA was over the top so everything you are gonna here from Bruce is gonna be party line until the process is complete...the last thing he needs to do is show up the NCAA by pushing to get the show clause lifted.

Exactly.

I am hoping for a reprieve. Just one player can make a huge difference in a season. This might be important inthat regard.

i dont think auburn will or should ask them to lift the suspension early. im sure they have a plan in place to recruit and knew the penalties upfront.

Why? That makes no sense.

BP accepted his penalties 3years ago. Auburn is/was fully aware of all this when they reached out. Under what basis would you think they would ask for the length of penalty to be reduced? I don't look at it like prison where you get reduced time for good behavior. You just hired a guy who was penalized for breaking rules and lying. You don't ask for special treatment. That is just my opinion. My question to you is , under what grounds do you request this? And could it possibly agitate the situation with the NCAA and/or public perception.

I agree. This is a hurdle he simply needs to get over.

I would love to see Bruce Pearl take back the state in recruiting starting with Daniel Purifoy in 2015 and Josh Lankford in 2016. Both are top 40 players, and getting Lankford would put us back in Huntsville.

FWIW per Mark Komara, he expects both those players to take long looks at AU now with Pearl.

CBS Sports has a pretty good article on this.

CBSSports.com reached out to the NCAA for a comment on the matter. It said, "Since this hiring was announced before [Aug. 23, 2014], Auburn and Pearl will have to file a report with the COI within 30 days of his hiring agreeing to prohibit Pearl from recruiting until August 23 (or contest the restrictions)."

Auburn did not have to go through the NCAA in any way to confirm/get permission on Pearl's hiring. Auburn either has to accept the punishment as is, or opt to contest the conditions. It has until April 17 to do so.

They also said it is "exceedingly unlikely" the NCAA will change the punishment.

From the NCAA Infractions Report:

... Therefore, the committee imposes a three-year show-cause period upon the former head men's basketball coach. During this period, which begins on August 24, 2011, and ends August 23, 2014, the committee prohibits the former head men's basketball coach from conducting any and all recruiting activities as defined by Bylaw 13.02.13.

Within 30 days of the release of this report or 30 days after the hiring of the former head men's basketball coach, whichever is later, any employing institution shall file a report with the office of the Committees on Infractions setting forth its agreement with these restrictions or asking for a date to appear before the committee to contest the restrictions. ...

If we "ask for a date to appear before the committee" it is probable that such date would be 30-60 days after the request, meaning the relief if given would only benefit us by a month or two. Bruce is keeping himself in front of the public enough to sell the program to potential recruits, and his assistants can sell Coach Pearl and AU to the recruits personally. I don't think living with the restrictions will hurt AU enough to go through the effort to get them lifted, and I get the sense that JJ and CBP feel the same way.

CBS Sports has a pretty good article on this.

CBSSports.com reached out to the NCAA for a comment on the matter. It said, "Since this hiring was announced before [Aug. 23, 2014], Auburn and Pearl will have to file a report with the COI within 30 days of his hiring agreeing to prohibit Pearl from recruiting until August 23 (or contest the restrictions)."

Auburn did not have to go through the NCAA in any way to confirm/get permission on Pearl's hiring. Auburn either has to accept the punishment as is, or opt to contest the conditions. It has until April 17 to do so.

They also said it is "exceedingly unlikely" the NCAA will change the punishment.

From the NCAA Infractions Report:

... Therefore, the committee imposes a three-year show-cause period upon the former head men's basketball coach. During this period, which begins on August 24, 2011, and ends August 23, 2014, the committee prohibits the former head men's basketball coach from conducting any and all recruiting activities as defined by Bylaw 13.02.13.

Within 30 days of the release of this report or 30 days after the hiring of the former head men's basketball coach, whichever is later, any employing institution shall file a report with the office of the Committees on Infractions setting forth its agreement with these restrictions or asking for a date to appear before the committee to contest the restrictions. ...

If we "ask for a date to appear before the committee" it is probable that such date would be 30-60 days after the request, meaning the relief if given would only benefit us by a month or two. Bruce is keeping himself in front of the public enough to sell the program to potential recruits, and his assistants can sell Coach Pearl and AU to the recruits personally. I don't think living with the restrictions will hurt AU enough to go through the effort to get them lifted, and I get the sense that JJ and CBP feel the same way.

That pretty much sums up the situation. Even if the hearing is held in 30 days the ncaa is under no obligation to rule by a specific date.

A large percent of the top basketball players sign in the November early signing period anyway. We won't be missing much if Pearl can't recruit until the end of August.

We still have 2 positions to fill for 2014-15. If a recruit visits in the next few weeks before signing day on April 17th, can BP talk with them on campus?

We still have 2 positions to fill for 2014-15. If a recruit visits in the next few weeks before signing day on April 17th, can BP talk with them on campus?

Yes he can have contact with them on campus.

the committee prohibits the former head men's basketball coach from conducting any and all recruiting activities as defined by Bylaw 13.02.13.

I have never read bylaw 13.02.13, but if it includes talking to a recruit on campus, then no, he cannot. Since a visit to campus would be for the purpose of recruiting, I would suspect that anything that happens on that trip would be covered by 13.02.13.

According to what others posted on this forum, he cannot speak to any unsigned prospect anywhere until August. Me personally, I don't know but but if he's barred from recruiting I'm thinking he better not be caught in the same building as a basketball recruit until after his time is fully served.

According to what others posted on this forum, he cannot speak to any unsigned prospect anywhere until August. Me personally, I don't know but but if he's barred from recruiting I'm thinking he better not be caught in the same building as a basketball recruit until after his time is fully served.

I agree...don't even be in the same city. Don't do anything that will give the appearance of trying to skirt the rules.

YES. Pearl has said he has to ask NCAA for clarifications. he even doesn't know if he can talk to the BB signees Barbee brought in. so Pearl has lots of issues to resolve.

As others have said, CBP can not have any contact with unsigned recruits as things stand now. The late signing period also starts on April 16, not 17. Signing is a bit different in basketball than football though. There are more cases in basketball where recruits sign after the initial signing day. Late signing Period in basketball last 5 weeks. This year it's April 16-May 21. It's common to see basketball recruits take OVs during signing period weeks. Jackson Davis for example, is the first AU offer in the Bruce Pearl era. He has only taken 1 OV. He expects to use the other 4 and some of them will be after April 16.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest jojo1515

Signing day is just over a week away. Is anybody hearing any interest or possibilty of any new commits? Never thought BPs first class would be this quiet...even with the sanctions. I know guys can sign into May, but it is awful quiet....as in no word on anybody at all. Anybody have any info at all on recruits?

Signing day is just over a week away. Is anybody hearing any interest or possibilty of any new commits? Never thought BPs first class would be this quiet...even with the sanctions. I know guys can sign into May, but it is awful quiet....as in no word on anybody at all. Anybody have any info at all on recruits?

cimmeon bowers is the #1 overall juco recruit. a PF, is supposed to visit next weekend and might commit.

Guest jojo1515

Well, atleast we have a felon interested...I was kind of hoping for someone not kicked off other teams for committing felonies and doing drugs, but I suppose everybody is allowed a mistake here and there. Hope it was a one time deal. If not, I hope he lands somewhere else to be their Mike Dyer as we cant afford one of those in bball right now.

Well, atleast we have a felon interested...I was kind of hoping for someone not kicked off other teams for committing felonies and doing drugs, but I suppose everybody is allowed a mistake here and there. Hope it was a one time deal. If not, I hope he lands somewhere else to be their Mike Dyer as we cant afford one of those in bball right now.

Wow. :o

Well, thanks for keeping it real. But as someone not familiar with the facts, are we talking about felony convictions?

Well, I'm not really sure I'd classify this as his first class considering he didn't even know where he was coaching until a few weeks ago, much less recruiting players for said school. Clearly next year will be more of an accurate gauge.

Eating a bag of weed constitutes a felony?

Guest jojo1515

Eating a bag of weed constitutes a felony?

Apparently in Florida it is considered as concealing evidence, which is a felony and carries up to 5 years in prison and a $10,000 fine.

http://blogs.findlaw.com/tarnished_twenty/2014/01/fsu-recruit-cinmeon-bowers-arrested-for-eating-marijuana.html

Guest jojo1515

Apparently he's not a convicted felon, as the charges were dropped. Who knows whats real in florida police stories anymore...see Jameis Winston...

Archived