Auburn Tigers Official Site Has 5 National Championships.

According to Bryan Matthews of 247Sports, the program is considering claiming up to seven more titles for seasons that have been recognized as national championship seasons by at least one entity.

“If other schools are using these same polls to declare a national championship, we should at least consider it,” Auburn athletics director Jay Jacobs told Matthews. “I don’t think there’s a better time for the Auburn family to consider it than right here at the end of the BCS era."

Did you fail 3rd grade reading comprehension?

Comprehension....Whoa...slow down. He just started actually READING something 2 days ago. Comprehension will take him several more years...Baby steps...

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We are the 2004 national champions. We finished #2. The #1 team cheated and had to vacate wins including their bowl win. IOW, we had the best team that didn't cheat in 2004.

Did we win it on the field? No, but no team in NCAA Div I has ever won a legit championship "on the field." Champions have always been determined by polls.

What else is there to discuss on this one?

Even Jay Jacobs feels we should be named national champions for 2004. It sounds like Jay wants to claim it for our own.

• 2 months later...

From twitter today....anyone on campus see this? Shopped?BvAXRJZCMAA58gg.jpg

We are the 2004 national champions. We finished #2. The #1 team cheated and had to vacate wins including their bowl win. IOW, we had the best team that didn't cheat in 2004.

Did we win it on the field? No, but no team in NCAA Div I has ever won a legit championship "on the field." Champions have always been determined by polls.

What else is there to discuss on this one?

I think Auburn was a better team than OK definitely, and if this same situation happened, say 2010, the SEC hype would've won Auburn the #2 spot definitely. Big 12 was one of the premier conferences (top 2 definitely) at the time, and that won them the conviction over Auburn. People had the same problem with 2011, but Alabama had the conviction (plus OK State lost to a trash team in IA State)

I guess people will accept it as fact like they did all the Alabama championships.

Just hope Malzahn brings in some more so we can have some REAL titles.

There is no such thing as a "real title" when it comes to D1 FBS football national champions. The NCAA doesn't award a title, and all previous "titles" have been nothing more than the opinions of pollsters. You know the same pollsters who said bammer would wax AU last season, and then said that bammer would wax Oklahoma...and said that FSU would blow AU out. Them.

On edit...

The playoff? Also determined by opinion, and also not a "real" NCAA championship.

I guess people will accept it as fact like they did all the Alabama championships.

I would say that at least four of the five the university appears to be claiming are as legitimate as any others, considering that the 1913 squad outscored its opponents 223-13 while going 8-0, and the 1983 team went 11-1 against the fourth most difficult schedule in the history of college football (not to mention that the team who won both major polls that year, Miami, had the same record, with their one loss coming at the hands of Florida, a team we beat)...

I would say that at least four of the five the university appears to be claiming are as legitimate as any others, considering that the 1913 squad outscored its opponents 223-13 while going 8-0, and the 1983 team went 11-1 against the fourth most difficult schedule in the history of college football (not to mention that the team who won both major polls that year, Miami, had the same record, with their one loss coming at the hands of Florida, a team we beat)...

and in '83......

* Auburn was voted #1 by more selectors than any other team, AU-20, Neb-14, Mia-13.

* Auburn had more #1 AP voters than any other team.

* Auburn was the highest ranked pre-bowl team to win their bowl game.

There is no such thing as a "real title" when it comes to D1 FBS football national champions. The NCAA doesn't award a title, and all previous "titles" have been nothing more than the opinions of pollsters. You know the same pollsters who said bammer would wax AU last season, and then said that bammer would wax Oklahoma...and said that FSU would blow AU out. Them.

On edit...

The playoff? Also determined by opinion, and also not a "real" NCAA championship.

That's your opinion, mine is if you make the title, you win the title, you have a real title, a title that you played an entire season for and you won.

I just dont like to count any titles that didn't involve a championship between what is the #1 and #2 teams in the nation. Not trying to change anyone's else view, if anyone else won a title in 1913, I still wouldn't count it.

I just dont like to count any titles that didn't involve a championship between what is the #1 and #2 teams in the nation. Not trying to change anyone's else view, if anyone else won a title in 1913, I still wouldn't count it.

That makes ZERO sense. The bcs didn't start until when, 1998?? So you are just ignoring the previous 100 years of college football? It doesn't work that way. The rules changed over time and its absolutely ridiculous to use todays standards and applying them to say, the 1980's when they didn't exist.

so do we know if that was photoshopped or really hanging at toomers?

Thats why I posted it, surely some of the students on here and just go take a look and let us know.

That makes ZERO sense. The bcs didn't start until when, 1998?? So you are just ignoring the previous 100 years of college football? It doesn't work that way. The rules changed over time and its absolutely ridiculous to use todays standards and applying them to say, the 1980's when they didn't exist.

^^THIS^^

On edit...

That's your opinion, mine is if you make the title, you win the title, you have a real title, a title that you played an entire season for and you won.

It's only my opinion that the NCAA does not award a title in D1 FBS football and never has, and that the "titles" have all been decided based on some opinion polls? No, that's not just my opinion. That is stone-cold fact. When you says "the title, you're engaging in the fallacy of pretending that there is one "the title." There isn't. Never was.

From twitter today....anyone on campus see this? Shopped?

BvAXRJZCMAA58gg.jpg

If that's photoshopped, I wanna meet the artist. It looks legit to me.

Who's going to call Toomer's Drugs?

Archived