Red States Are Way Ahead of Congress on Global Warming

homersapien

After listening to some of these filmed on the street interviews where they ask basic questions about current events and the government, I don't trust the opinion of these people. Many of them are terribly uninformed. Or just don't care.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After listening to some of these filmed on the street interviews where they ask basic questions about current events and the government, I don't trust the opinion of these people. Many of then are terribly uninformed. Or just don't care.

Like I said, a valid random sample. ;D

You bitch about peiple like the koch brothers but you love George Soros and the unions with their money.

:headscratch:

Where on earth did that come from?

You bitch about peiple like the koch brothers but you love George Soros and the unions with their money.

The OP complained about cutizens united. The article he posted also was a partial gripe against the koch brothers, whom liberals despise.

The OP complained about cutizens united. The article he posted also was a partial gripe against the koch brothers, whom liberals despise.

oicthx

But what do Soros and and the unions have to do with anything?

lol..I'm female..They do not claim that rep voters believe in global warming but that is what is implied by the article. The problem is the data they have published doesn't back it up. I'm not even sure the data could be used to back it up if it exists. The total of surveys were from several different years on different subjects. They were done by different pollsters and the method of questioning was different on each of them. They published the questions used in supporting documents. Not much of it had to do with global warming. There might be a random question here and there. Overall it was an ambitious attempt and unfortunately I don't think it succeeded. If this group wants to become an important entity it would be better off doing its own survey from scratch.

On a personal note I am leaving in just a little while to head to Cancer Treatmen Centers.

They are supposed to give me a definitive diagnosis tomorrow. I was originally told I had stage 4 breast cancer in Feb. The doctors at CTCA disagreed and instead thought the scans taken were bad. I had to wait until last month to get new bone scans and pet scans (too much radiation otherwise). In the meantime I have been taking some very nasty chemotherapy. Those of you who pray I would appreciate you sending some up for me that its not stage 4 and was instead a misdiagnosis. My family has been torn apart by this and its put a lot of stress on my mother especially. Thanks so much.

You are in our thoughts and prayers Kassc.

lol..I'm female..They do not claim that rep voters believe in global warming but that is what is implied by the article. The problem is the data they have published doesn't back it up. I'm not even sure the data could be used to back it up if it exists. The total of surveys were from several different years on different subjects. They were done by different pollsters and the method of questioning was different on each of them. They published the questions used in supporting documents. Not much of it had to do with global warming. There might be a random question here and there. Overall it was an ambitious attempt and unfortunately I don't think it succeeded. If this group wants to become an important entity it would be better off doing its own survey from scratch.

On a personal note I am leaving in just a little while to head to Cancer Treatmen Centers.

They are supposed to give me a definitive diagnosis tomorrow. I was originally told I had stage 4 breast cancer in Feb. The doctors at CTCA disagreed and instead thought the scans taken were bad. I had to wait until last month to get new bone scans and pet scans (too much radiation otherwise). In the meantime I have been taking some very nasty chemotherapy. Those of you who pray I would appreciate you sending some up for me that its not stage 4 and was instead a misdiagnosis. My family has been torn apart by this and its put a lot of stress on my mother especially. Thanks so much.

Praying for you. Hope you get good news.

Back on topic this may help clarify the data behind the article a little more. The surveys used were not recent surveys. We all know that politics and the attention span of the public change on a dime. What is important today may be totally out of the news tomorrow. Of the information gathered the totality of the climate change data surveys were:

• Four by the National Election Study (waves 10, 11, 13 and 17; October 2008 to May

2009) on a wide range of topics including abortion, the Iraq war, climate change and

others

• Three conducted by WorldPublicOpinion.org (September 2009, December 2009, winter

2008): the first on U.S. health care reform, the second on climate change, and the third

on a wide range of human rights topics, including racial and sex discrimination

Of those surveys, 27 questions on the topic of climate change and the environment resulted in the conclusion that there was no polarization between the red and blue voters.

States with two Republican senators were designated “red” and those with two Democratic

senators were designated “blue.” States with one senator from each party were viewed as “red”

or “blue” depending on the state’s vote in the preceding presidential election (2008 or 2012). If a

state’s presidential vote showed a margin of 2 percent or more, then it was designated red or blue

accordingly. If the margin was below 2 percent, the state was left out of the analysis.

Selection of Poll Questions

From these surveys we selected 388 questions on a wide range of policy issues. The

overwhelming majority of 339 questions were divided by districts, while 51 were divided by

states.

Questions were limited to those that were policy-prescriptive: i.e., it asked respondents to weigh

in on a policy choice the government could make or had made. For clarification, here are

examples of question types that were not included because they did not ask respondents to

specify a policy direction but rather presented an argument: questions that asked respondents

whether they “agree or disagree,” or found the argument “convincing or not convincing”; asked

respondents’ perceptions of what is the case about a policy situation; asked about perceptions of

threat; asked about their level of concern about an issue, with no indication of a policy

prescription one way or another; or asked for reactions to another country’s foreign policy

direction, not that of the United State

Having said all of that and gone back through the questions in more detail than I did earlier I can see the agreement between the two sides. I still believe meshing these surveys and getting really good data is impossible. The types of surveys were very different. Overall my problem with the original article would be that it seems to imply that there is agreement that climate change etc.. is something that all of the constituents in these districts completely agree upon and that the agreement is leaning to the blue side. I do not believe having gone through all of this data and determining the methods of compilation (and unless you really love politics and this kind of stuff it will BORE you silly) that it can be inferred that red and blue agree on climate change in the way the article implies

What follows is from the supporting documentation for the survey:

CLIMATE CHANGE AND ENVIRONMENT (27 questions: all by districts)

In 19 out of 27 questions, the two sets of districts were statistically the same. In 6 out of 27

questions, red and blue districts expressed the same policy preferences but to differing

degrees. In 2 out of 27 questions, one set of districts expressed a definitive preference, while

the other was divided.

According to the survey there were no significant differences between red and blue on the following questions (the survey date and organization appear before the question. The footnotes at the end of the charts correspond to the questions I will list the questions first and then insert the chart. It’s a pain to look back and forth but if you are interested its worth it:

Surveya

surveyb

surveyc

surveyd

The bias is established early in the article:

Congress is more deeply divided today than it has been in the last two decades on a wide range of issues, including global warming. In the Senate, for example, Oklahoma Republican James Inhofe routinely fulminates that it's a hoax, while Rhode Island Democrat Sheldon Whitehouse understands the science and is leading the charge for a carbon tax.

Despite all the shouting, AGW is not an established fact and polls are irrelevant.

I thought this was the best place to post this update since this is where I asked all of you for prayer. I want to thank all of you..God answered. I was misdiagnosed in my home town and instead of Stage 4 cancer it is only stage 3. It had not progressed into my bones and my chest wall as they told me at my original Oncologist office. The chemo they have given me (some of the strongest they have for breast cancer) has rendered the cancer "inactive" according to Dr. McKNight at Cancer Treatment Centers of America in Georgia. I may still need to have some surgery for further lymph node removal and they are recommending around 5 to 6 weeks of radiation at the moment. That may change on Monday when I see the actual radiologist but the point is my cancer is inactive and did not spread so cure is possible. You are all appreciated for the support and kindness. Thank you family! :jump:

I thought this was the best place to post this update since this is where I asked all of you for prayer. I want to thank all of you..God answered. I was misdiagnosed in my home town and instead of Stage 4 cancer it is only stage 3. It had not progressed into my bones and my chest wall as they told me at my original Oncologist office. The chemo they have given me (some of the strongest they have for breast cancer) has rendered the cancer "inactive" according to Dr. McKNight at Cancer Treatment Centers of America in Georgia. I may still need to have some surgery for further lymph node removal and they are recommending around 5 to 6 weeks of radiation at the moment. That may change on Monday when I see the actual radiologist but the point is my cancer is inactive and did not spread so cure is possible. You are all appreciated for the support and kindness. Thank you family! :jump:

Awesome news!

Congress is more deeply divided today than it has been in the last two decades on a wide range of issues, including global warming. In the Senate, for example, Oklahoma Republican James Inhofe routinely fulminates that it's a hoax, while Rhode Island Democrat Sheldon Whitehouse understands the science and is leading the charge for a carbon tax.

Despite all the shouting, AGW is not an established fact and polls are irrelevant.

Well, depending on what you mean by "established fact", that's probably true. But from any reasonable scientific standpoint, it's real.

And your right, regarding the actual scientific validity of the theory, polls are irrelevant. They are relevant only to the question of whether or not we do anything about it.

Wonderful! It must be very gratifying that the chemo you endured was worthwhile.

Well, depending on what you mean by "established fact", that's probably true. But from any reasonable scientific standpoint, it's real.

And your right, regarding the actual scientific validity of the theory, polls are irrelevant. They are relevant only to the question of whether or not we do anything about it.

But it seems to be unreasonable people making the argument that AGW is real. You have to ignore a lot of science to make a definitive statement on AGW. Climate change is real, the contribution by man is negligible.

But it seems to be unreasonable people making the argument that AGW is real. You have to ignore a lot of science to make a definitive statement on AGW. Climate change is real, the contribution by man is negligible.

That's not what the scientific community says:

http://en.wikipedia....tific_consensus

"The scientific opinion on climate change is that the Earth's climate system is unequivocally warming, and it is extremely likely (at least 95% probability) that humans are causing most of it through activities that increase concentrations of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere, such as deforestation and burning fossil fuels. In addition, it is likely that some potential further greenhouse gas warming has been offset by increased aerosols.[1][2][3][4] This scientific consensus is expressed in synthesis reports, by scientific bodies of national or international standing, and by surveys of opinion among climate scientists. Individual scientists, universities, and laboratories contribute to the overall scientific opinion via their peer-reviewed publications, and the areas of collective agreement and relative certainty are summarised in these high level reports and surveys."

Note in particular:

(3) Statements by scientific organizations of national or international standing

(4) Surveys of scientists and scientific literature

(5) Scientific consensus

The science is never settled.

Well, it's settled to a confidence level of 95%.

It will probably be too late to react by the time its 100% because that means it's a "done deal" by definition.

Happy you are on the healing path! Prayers sent for continued improvement!

The science is never settled.

Well, it's settled to a confidence level of 95%.

It will probably be too late to react by the time its 100% because that means it's a "done deal" by definition.

More like 3%

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2014/07/16/climate-consensus-nonsense/#more-113104

Archived