Preseason 2014 Coaches Poll Released

AU Is Gold

LSU at home, UGA and UAT on the road are the only 3 games I think we even have a shot at losing. The MS sisters and K-State make for some good talk of "trap" games, but they should be no threat if AU is where we think they are.

Good article ...

TEAMS RANKED TOO LOW

No. 5 Auburn Tigers

The analytics crowd is already
predicting the Tigers’ demise
. All those miracle finishes last year are sure to even out. But that suggests Auburn will have the same margin for error. On the contrary, Gus Malzahn’s offense should be far more lethal this year now that quarterback
Nick Marshall
had a full offseason in his system.

He has four returning starters up front and an incredibly deep receiving corps. You don’t need miracles if you’re putting up 50 on people. The one strike against the Tigers is their schedule, which includes trips to K-State, Ole Miss, Georgia and Alabama. I still think they’ll make the playoff.

http://www.foxsports...fscom:foxsports

I agree and its the message I've been putting out to all the folks asking how AU is going to win all the close games again this year. My response if we won't let them get that close!

Two comments:

1) Amway just sponsors this poll. It is the the old UPI poll, the same poll the USA Today Board of Coaches has put out since 1990. It is the poll which will award the AFCA National Championship Trophy (the "Crystal Ball") at the end of the season.

2) Yes, we and Florida State are the two best teams based on returning talent, but our schedule is probably why we are not higher.

U might want to explain this^^ to Kessler, I think he busted a blood vessel about amway Coaches poll once people start commenting on it.

I've never heard of team being dinged for winning close games. Usually that's a sign of maturity and being able to win no matter what.

I've never heard of team being dinged for winning close games. Usually that's a sign of maturity and being able to win no matter what.

Good point.

Especially when you consider how much of last year's 2-deep on both sides of the ball returns for us as compared to the rest of the schedule. Having gained that winning attitude and STILL having a chip on their shoulder from having come so close last season means they have undoubtedly been working hard to get even better, while the rest of the teams have to replace several key pieces from their own 2-deep rosters.

And it is these constant doubts that we've been hearing from so many outlets that give me confidence the team isn't going to get lazy and drop a couple they should have won.

It's a standard in statistical sports analysis. If a team wins more than its stats predict, that's a sign they'll trend down the following year. I know they do this in football and baseball, and it's been measured.

Archived