SEC NOW, Rushing Attack Rankings

muxi87

Well I guess since the SEC Network guys rated us low we should just give it up then huh? Why does everyone care so much about what the media says about us? It won't mean a thing when we win it all this season. Take it easy.

Caring and laughing are two different things.

I'm still watching the SEC Network. I could care less about their opinions...i just thought it was funny.

That simple "ranking" alone is potentially the most laughable thing I've ever seen when "predicting" anything about this upcoming season.

To think we won't run the football at an Elite level is just asinine...

We may not win them all...we may not finish in the top 10...but I can assure you we will run the football as well as any TEAM in the country.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All 4 of those teams have their entire back fields back. We don't. We are missing Tre Mason, our most productive running back from last year. TJ yeldon, mike Davis, Alex Collins, and Todd Gurley all had better numbers than anyone we have returning. Y'all are out of control.

We lead the nation last year but only placed 6th on the list? I don't think we are out of control to expect to be at least in the top three given that our offense is, primarily, a run based scheme. And, we basically DOUBLED Alabama, which was 28th on the 2013 list but was placed #1 on Ginger's list.

Link: http://espn.go.com/c...rt/rushingYards

I didn't watch the segment, but if I had to guess, they were rating the back fields based on the quality of backs, not by who they thought would have the most total rushing yards at the end of the season. Are Cameron artis Payne, Corey Grant, Peyton barber and roc Thomas good enough to be in the top 4? I know they are, and so do you. But look, here are the returning starters on those other teams:

Alabama: TJ yeldon, Derrick Henry, Kenyan drake

South Carolina: mike Davis (I don't know who's behind him, but he's a proven great all around back)

Arkansas: Alex Collins and Jonathan Williams

Georgia: Todd Gurley and Keith Marshall.

Take out scheme, and all of those team's running backs are more proven than our guys. If this poll was at the end of the season, I'm sure we'll be talking about 2 out of our 5 runners (including Marshall) passing the 1000 yard rushing mark. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Grant, Payne, and Marshall all surpass it.

Thank you for this very logical post

I don't worry to much about what anybody says before a game is played. We lost two key O-Linemen we lost our top back. Most of the teams rated ahead of us also have at least 3 or more returning starters in O-Line and proven backs. Also a lot of them have new QB which means they will rely more on the run.

We have a returning QB and most of our fan base expects us to throw more this year and run less. So based on all those facts I can see why they are rated higher before the first game is played.

Personally I do think we will pass more but I expect that to lead to fewer runs but more long runs as defenses will be off-balance. I think we have great players in the O-Line to replace the lost players and I think our backs are every bit as good as the backs who are more proven.

I understand the reason for the predictions and can't really argue with them, but I think once the season starts we will prove them wrong.

They did not rank coaching schemes guys. They ranked rushing attacks based on players returning. We do not have a proven running back yet. We will. All those teams have 1 thing in common----- returning starting RB. Hopefully we have a RB step up and carry the team like Tre did

Auburn may not be at the top in rushing is if they pass more and greatly reduce the number of rushing attempts. Who knows other teams may run more because of new QB's. My prediction though would be Nick Marshall, good depth along with versatile running backs, innovative play calling using Auburn fast players, and a seasoned line will be at the top of the SEC rushing when all is said and done.

Ok, so I just read a 247 article about the McElroy segment. They said McElroy ranked Auburn with having the best rushing scheme. The team ranking in the OP was just his ranking of the RBs on each team. He goes on to say that the running backs and offensive line Auburn will have this season should be "equally as productive as last year". That is a little different perspective than presented in the OP.

Poor McElroy. Still suffering from being KNOCKED OUT in the IB ...

goodness guys. every single person in the world isnt going to rank us best. of course some may feel others are better. thats why it's called an opinion. the media doesnt hate us. i so wish i could stop hearing that.

Ok, so I just read a 247 article about the McElroy segment. They said McElroy ranked Auburn with having the best rushing scheme. The team ranking in the OP was just his ranking of the RBs on each team. He goes on to say that the running backs and offensive line Auburn will have this season should be "equally as productive as last year". That is a little different perspective than presented in the OP.

If that's the case, although it is definitely different from the view represented by the OP, I stand by my initial reaction:

:big:

Rank us 5th or 6th best in the country. Rank our rushing attack (McIlroy) and o-line outside the top 5 (Stinchcombe). Talk about how you don't think we can get through our tough schedule unscathed (Herby is the latest, though everyone thinks this). Fuel that fire that's already burning to get back to the big game and be 13 seconds better this year!

:wareagle:

I don't worry to much about what anybody says before a game is played. We lost two key O-Linemen we lost our top back. Most of the teams rated ahead of us also have at least 3 or more returning starters in O-Line and proven backs. Also a lot of them have new QB which means they will rely more on the run.

We have a returning QB and most of our fan base expects us to throw more this year and run less. So based on all those facts I can see why they are rated higher before the first game is played.

Personally I do think we will pass more but I expect that to lead to fewer runs but more long runs as defenses will be off-balance. I think we have great players in the O-Line to replace the lost players and I think our backs are every bit as good as the backs who are more proven.

I understand the reason for the predictions and can't really argue with them, but I think once the season starts we will prove them wrong.

Logical. I 100% agree

Auburn will lead the conference in both rushing and total offense and it won't even be close. This offense will be much more dangerous than last year.

Auburn will lead the conference in both rushing and total offense and it won't even be close. This offense will be much more dangerous than last year.

I think there is a great chance this comes true. It might be interesting if the SEC Now would re-rank the SEC schools using "Who is the most feared SEC rushing attack?". We should be atop that list.

If that's the case, although it is definitely different from the view represented by the OP, I stand by my initial reaction:

Rank us 5th or 6th best in the country. Rank our rushing attack (McIlroy) and o-line outside the top 5 (Stinchcombe). Talk about how you don't think we can get through our tough schedule unscathed (Herby is the latest, though everyone thinks this). Fuel that fire that's already burning to get back to the big game and be 13 seconds better this year!

I originally posted...and I WATCHED the actual segment.

It was "RUSHING ATTACK". It was NOT "who has the best running backs".

Maybe Mccryin realized how stupid he sounded and gave an interview and retracted his views, but the segment was CLEARLY "RUSHING ATTACK". They mentioned "ground game". Total rushing yards was mentioned.

Again, I could care less what some idiot former Bammer says about his view of the upcoming season. I just found it unbelievably hilarious that anyone could think that Auburn will not be an elite team on the ground.

Calm down folks, everyone knows when you can't make a factual point you make it subjective. TJ Yeldon, LOL

Is this board going to get saturated with SECNow threads from now on? We have a "Media Related" board for a reason don't we?

Honestly I think Greg McElroy is the best analyst on the sec network. Tebow is awful, and so is that LSU lineman.

From what little i've heard him say, he isn't bad. But if he really was ranking rushing attacks (as opposed to proven running backs), he's way off on this one.

Honestly I think Greg McElroy is the best analyst on the sec network. Tebow is awful, and so is that LSU lineman.

I don't know what they were thinking with Tebow.

Tim Tebow just doesn't have what it takes for TV. Maybe some experience & exposure will help him but he is not good and neither is the LSU guy.

Yup, I saw that. Ginger McElroy compiled the list. Did you honestly expect Bama to not be at the top and for the list to be accurate? I didn't.

His justifications showed that he was basically ranking the running backs and running back depth. But he should have looked at how many rushing yards he thought they'd average per game in 2014. And that is a list we are definitely on top of.

I originally posted...and I WATCHED the actual segment.

It was "RUSHING ATTACK". It was NOT "who has the best running backs".

Maybe Mccryin realized how stupid he sounded and gave an interview and retracted his views, but the segment was CLEARLY "RUSHING ATTACK". They mentioned "ground game". Total rushing yards was mentioned.

Again, I could care less what some idiot former Bammer says about his view of the upcoming season. I just found it unbelievably hilarious that anyone could think that Auburn will not be an elite team on the ground.

I don't doubt for a second you saw that but that is how the 247 summarized it. Not having seen it, my guess is that McElroy was babbling and not very clear which allowed for various interpretations.

Auburn will lead the SEC in rushing again and yes, I agree with you. It is hilarious anyone would think Auburn won't be an elite rushing team, yet again.

WDE

Yep, talking heads filling air time without doing their research. Sometimes you just have to shake your head and laugh. The worst one though was that OL ranking you refer to. In total OL starts, bama is 13th in the SEC yet that guy has them as his (key word here) #1 SEC OL. I had to chuckle on that one.

As a reference, Auburn was tied with South Car @ #1 for most starts with 113 until Kozan went out. After losing Kozan, Auburn dropped "all the way down to #2" with 99 total OL starts.

Archived