AUC Recruiting Podcast (3 newest shows on page 13)

ellitor

October 13th show

Topics

-In depth Review of AU's top 10 most wanted recruits for 2015 in AUC's eyes

-Effects of Ole Miss & Miss St on field success on AU recruiting in battles with those schools

http://media.vsporto.s3.amazonaws.com/_shows/wareaglesportsradio/2014-10-13-1006097419-AuburnUndercoverOct13.mp3

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

October 15th show

-In depth on Martez Ivey

-In depth on Jason Smith

-In depth on Jalen Harris

-In depth on Jovon Robinson

http://media.vsporto.s3.amazonaws.com/_shows/wareaglesportsradio/2014-10-15-2014736307-AuburnUndercoverOct15.mp3

That last little nugget about Thursday night/FL panhandle sounded interesting, but then their comments after made it sound as if maybe they were just having a laugh. Any idea what that was about?

That last little nugget about Thursday night/FL panhandle sounded interesting, but then their comments after made it sound as if maybe they were just having a laugh. Any idea what that was about?

Keith rarely says before the day of who he will see play that night. He keeps it under wraps as long as he can so his competitors at Rivals and ITAT don't beat him to the punch. As for the global thing I think that was just a joke.

October 15th show

-In depth on Martez Ivey

-In depth on Jason Smith

-In depth on Jalen Harris

-In depth on Jovon Robinson

http://media.vsporto.s3.amazonaws.com/_shows/wareaglesportsradio/2014-10-15-2014736307-AuburnUndercoverOct15.mp3

- Agree with thoughts on Tez, OV will go a long way

- Agree with Hoke on JS not making or breaking class, especially with the QB depth we are building and elite level WR still on our board

- Liked what I heard abt JH, need a true TE if we have a Chandelor Cox in the backfield

- Frustrated with Jovon, hoping he gets his mind right in the next few months before headed to AU

Keith rarely says before the day of who he will see play that night. He keeps it under wraps as long as he can so his competitors at Rivals and ITAT don't beat him to the punch. As for the global thing I think that was just a joke.

Gotcha, thx

Yep and sadly I don't think TAMU will be the same crazy atmosphere the opener versus Arky was. Also I agree with Keith also that UF has the edge. I've felt that way for a couple months now.
- Agree with Hoke on JS not making or breaking class, especially with the QB depth we are building and elite level WR still on our board
It's too early to try and make that judgement IMO. As a QB yes. But given we are likely to lose our 3 most impactful WRs we will need WRs to step up. I can very easily see Jason moved to WR quickly and make an impact there in year 1 as he did his senior year at the Alabama-Mississippi High School All Star game at WR.

Jason Smith is critical to this class. He's a WR, not a QB and as such he's a commodity we're pretty short on so far. I don't care how many are "on our board". On our board is a long, long way from on our team.

Yep and sadly I don't think SCe will be the same crazy atmosphere the opener versus Arky was. Also I agree with Keith also that UF has the edge. I've felt that way for a couple months now.
It's too early to try and make that judgement IMO. As a QB yes. But given we are likely to lose our 3 most impactful WRs we will need WRs to step up. I can very easily see Jason moved to WR quickly and make an impact there in year 1 as he did his senior year at the Alabama-Mississippi High School All Star game at WR.

thought Tez is going to Tx AM... If he does come with C.C then great. I have a feeling night game at JHS will be just fine. Hopefully so since i'm going

I can't listen to the podcast until tonight. Is Jason Smith on flip alert?

No, just like in the first round of recruiting with him, he likes the attention other schools are giving him. J.H and Keith said that it would take something drastic like AU dropping his offer for them to feel like he'd flip.

I can't listen to the podcast until tonight. Is Jason Smith on flip alert?

No, just like in the first round of recruiting with him, he likes the attention other schools are giving him. J.H and Keith said that it would take something drastic like AU dropping his offer for them to feel like he'd flip.

Thanks! I knew if he could throw the ball well this season, some schools would give give him some attention. We need to hold on to him. He is too gifted as an athlete to let go.

thought Tez is going to Tx AM... If he does come with C.C then great. I have a feeling night game at JHS will be just fine. Hopefully so since i'm going

He is. My bad. Change teams from SCe to TAMU but my statement still stands. TAMU is down again this year and Unless TAMU upsets Bama on the road they will be unranked and the atmosphere for the AU-TAMU will not be as crazy as it was for the opener for Arky which is the kind of atmosphere the staff wanted for Ivey's OV.

Also the staff does not want Cox and Ivey to visit together. They think they can sell Auburn for Auburn's sake more if Cox is not in his ear during the trip. That's why Cox moved his OV from TAMU to SCe. Also, we know SCe will be a night game. Specific time has just not been announced.

Wait what's the deal with Jovon? Missed that.

He's reportedly 15lbs overweight and playing like it.

And that he better come in looking to do work because both Hoke and Keith project Roc to beat out Jovon right now.

Wait what's the deal with Jovon? Missed that.

He's reportedly 15lbs overweight and playing like it.

he is just sandbagging. He is tired of recruiters calling. He'll be alright :)

Jason Smith is critical to this class. He's a WR, not a QB and as such he's a commodity we're pretty short on so far. I don't care how many are "on our board". On our board is a long, long way from on our team.

He may be to our coaches but that is not the position he wants to play. Given how good he's been this year at the QB position, it's not a stretch to think he goes somewhere that he can play QB. AND given the fact he hasn't played a snap of WR in the last 2 years (longer actually since he was a QB for McGill), what makes you think he is going to immediately be an impact player in the SECw?

given the fact he hasn't played a snap of WR in the last 2 years (longer actually since he was a QB for McGill), what makes you think he is going to immediately be an impact player in the SECw?

It's actually been a bit under 2 years. He was the MVP at the Alabama-Mississippi All Star game on December 15, 2012 playing exclusively at WR. He caught 6 balls for 137 yards and a TD, should have had 2. He may have as much potential at WR as any of the unproven guys on the team now.

There's also this free scouting report from that game. Link

Jason Smith, WR/ATH, Mobile (Ala.) McGill-Toolen, 6-1, 175

Smith immediately caught our eye last week with his quickness off the line, an impressive fluidity as a route runner, and the ability to sink the hips and create instant separation out of cuts. Add in his plus hands and ball skills, and MVP honors for team Alabama and the Auburn commitment continues to ascend.

And this post game interview.

In terms of Jason's recruitment Texas is the only threat right now and they are recruiting Jason the exact same way AU is. First shot at QB but likely move to WR if needed more.

given the fact he hasn't played a snap of WR in the last 2 years (longer actually since he was a QB for McGill), what makes you think he is going to immediately be an impact player in the SECw?

It's actually been a bit under 2 years. He was the MVP at the Alabama-Mississippi All Star game on December 15, 2012 playing exclusively at WR. He caught 6 balls for 137 yards and a TD, should have had 2. He may have as much potential at WR as any of the unproven guys on the team now.

There's also this free scouting report from that game. Link

Jason Smith, WR/ATH, Mobile (Ala.) McGill-Toolen, 6-1, 175

Smith immediately caught our eye last week with his quickness off the line, an impressive fluidity as a route runner, and the ability to sink the hips and create instant separation out of cuts. Add in his plus hands and ball skills, and MVP honors for team Alabama and the Auburn commitment continues to ascend.

And this post game interview.

In terms of Jason's recruitment Texas is the only threat right now and they are recruiting Jason the exact same way AU is. First shot at QB but likely move to WR if needed more.

That's great and all but an article from 2 years ago against HS comp does little to change my view, when we have JUCO players that did not make a position change that have had trouble acclimating to the SECw. I guess the upside is that he did take a RS so has 3 yrs or eligibility once he gets on campus.

Not going to lie, that was discouraging to hear about Jovon. He was projected by some to be the top guy in this class whether you are talking high school, prep, or JUCO. I was really hoping that once he came in, he & Roc would give Auburn it's best 1-2 punch since Caddy & Ronnie. Hopefully getting to campus & the weight room early will help him be ready to go next fall.

That's great and all but an article from 2 years ago against HS comp does little to change my view, when we have JUCO players that did not make a position change that have had trouble acclimating to the SECw. I guess the upside is that he did take a RS so has 3 yrs or eligibility once he gets on campus.

Of the 11 jucos that have signed and played since Gus was hired only 4 (King, Flowers, Lawrence, and Turner) have had real adjustment issues. 7 of 11 jucos contributing or excelling is a pretty good conversion rate, especially when you compare it to most schools who recruit jucos.

Also I think you are way underestimating Jason's potential as a WR. As evidenced by the scouting report above, Jason is a natural, especially when you consider he showed great technique and route running while playing WR for the first time since his Soph HS year and doing that in 6 days. WR is one of the easier positions to adjust to, especially when a player already has good technique. Jason's biggest adjustment will be the speed of the SEC game. Every first year player has to go through that. Some players adjust much better than others. Coming out of HS Jason has the second most potential at WR including all the returning WRs coming back next year only behind Tony Stevens. I would not snooze on really good potential like that when you have nobody yet proven at the college level returning.

Not going to lie, that was discouraging to hear about Jovon. He was projected by some to be the top guy in this class whether you are talking high school, prep, or JUCO. I was really hoping that once he came in, he & Roc would give Auburn it's best 1-2 punch since Caddy & Ronnie. Hopefully getting to campus & the weight room early will help him be ready to go next fall.

I'm thinking Roc and Barber will give us the best 1-2 punch since Ronnie and Caddy.

RE: Jason Smith...Anybody that watched that Al/Miss all star game would have no doubt about where he should play his college ball and it ain't QB. The guy was a genuine phenom at WR.

What about Jovon? Have something happened?

Gained muscle weight, lost quickness, and O Line blocking for him is bad.

Archived