Auburn's Under Armour Apparel Deal

RunInRed

If Auburn continues with their current success they will get a big contract when it's time to negotiate. If you don't think Nike wants to have the best offense in the country you are crazy.

They would like to but they don't need to. Big difference. Nike is worldwide. They can pick and choose. They still make a fortune off of their deal with Michael Jordan.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As much as we like to think it is so, Auburn does not have the national following that ND has. They have a fan base that far exceeds any other school.

3X that of Auburn's?

I don't know the exact numbers but they played UCF in Ireland last year before a crowd of 53,000. I believe that they had between 35-40,000 fans travel from the U.S. for that game. That tells me a lot.

I believe that is attributed to a higher percentage of their fan following resides in areas with large population densities, particularly in Midwestern and Northeastern states

Not having Nike in Basketball does effect recruiting. AAU basketball is run by (biggest sponsor) Nike and the point those kids to Nike schools I'll bet if you asked the basketball coaches they would love to change. It would make things much easier. With football it does not mater as much.

Not having Nike in Basketball does effect recruiting. AAU basketball is run by (biggest sponsor) Nike and the point those kids to Nike schools I'll bet if you asked the basketball coaches they would love to change. It would make things much easier. With football it does not mater as much.

Have you seen how well Pearl has recruited? He got 3 4 star players in just a few days. We have(or did have) a top 5 recruiting class.

It seems that argument was largely for mediocre recruiters who were looking for an excuse. Pearl is recruiting very well.

From what I have heard, Bruce has told UA that they need to get more heavily involved money-wise with AAU teams. The only reason Nike is a major player is because Adidas and UA don't sponsor as many teams. If UA starts getting involved you will see the tides a shifting.

As much as we like to think it is so, Auburn does not have the national following that ND has. They have a fan base that far exceeds any other school.

Except for this:

Auburn was #2 in total viewers, #2 in average viewers per game and #1 in live attendance for the 2013 season. I would say we are putting ourselves in a good negotiating position.

Total Viewers:

1. 80.1 mm- Alabama

2. 78.2 mm- Auburn

3. 77.1 mm- Ohio State

4. 72.3 mm- Florida State

5. 60.8 mm- Texas A&M

Average Viewers per game:

1. 7.4 mm- Alabama

2. 7.1 mm- Auburn

3. 6.4 mm- Ohio State

4. 6.1 mm- Michigan

5. 5.7 mm- Michigan State

http://mgoblog.com/diaries/most-watched-teams-college-football

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/college-football-tv-ratings/2/

Live Attendance:

1. 1,204,185- Auburn

2. 1,191,436- Ohio State

3. 1,174,360- Michigan

4. 1,156,256- Alabama

5. 1,096,097- Nebraska

http://blogs.ajc.com/college-football-insider-blog/2014/04/10/auburn-most-watched-football-team-in-2013/

Except for this:

Auburn was #2 in total viewers, #2 in average viewers per game and #1 in live attendance for the 2013 season. I would say we are putting ourselves in a good negotiating position.

Total Viewers:

1. 80.1 mm- Alabama

2. 78.2 mm- Auburn

3. 77.1 mm- Ohio State

4. 72.3 mm- Florida State

5. 60.8 mm- Texas A&M

Average Viewers per game:

1. 7.4 mm- Alabama

2. 7.1 mm- Auburn

3. 6.4 mm- Ohio State

4. 6.1 mm- Michigan

5. 5.7 mm- Michigan State

http://mgoblog.com/diaries/most-watched-teams-college-football

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/college-football-tv-ratings/2/

Live Attendance:

1. 1,204,185- Auburn

2. 1,191,436- Ohio State

3. 1,174,360- Michigan

4. 1,156,256- Alabama

5. 1,096,097- Nebraska

http://blogs.ajc.com/college-football-insider-blog/2014/04/10/auburn-most-watched-football-team-in-2013/

well if they can get it more power to them. That is only one year. Also we have some 20,000 more seats than ND in our stadium. What are the merchandise figures? That is a big part of what they look at. If Auburn continues their success then UA will be glad to up the ante. Could Auburn command a solo deal from a network or send 30,000 fans across the ocean to watch a game?

No doubt we have a great class my point is that it would be easier for Pearl with the Nike contract. I assure you that what Pearl is doing is incredible because he has one hand tied behind his back. When you talk to any coach mediocre or not they will tell you that AAU points the kids to Nike schools. What Pearl is doing is unbelievable.

It has been debated today since I started the post on Nike vs UA. Posters has it has not effected our BBall recruiting. No one knows if it has or hasn't. BBall recruiting g for us this year has been awesome, that does not mean if we had Nike that out BBall recruiting g would have been even better.

I will tell you that Nike equipment overall is better and that the kids like it better too.

Always prefered Nike over UA. I will wear UA shirts, shorts and other apparel but HATE their cleats/footwear. As a former soccer player, you couldn't PAY ME to wear UA cleats. It's no secret football and basketball players prefer Nike/Adidas as well. I'd vote Nike over UA any day of the week.

I wish we would renegotiate and look at Nike too. It's been a long time since I played sports but from what I have heard Under Armour is considered to be behind Nike esp. In shoes. UA shoes have been slammed for a while. Plus, Nike seems to own Basketball camps.

Not affecting our basketball recruiting currently.

Yes but if we could team Bruce Pearl with the power of the Nike camps, couldn't imagine where we could go from there.

3X that of Auburn's?

yes

Auburn would not be able to have a game succeed in Dublin

Well that is one sport I never really hear about ND outside of Football so to say they are 3x Auburn is a strech (not you Red) so they drew a big crowd for 1 game so what. Regardless we need to work on upgrading our contract

3X that of Auburn's?

yes

Auburn would not be able to have a game succeed in Dublin

Well that is one sport I never really hear about ND outside of Football so to say they are 3x Auburn is a strech (not you Red) so they drew a big crowd for 1 game so what. Regardless we need to work on upgrading our contract

I'm not saying we shouldn't but it's never as simple as some would have us believe. Nike does not need Auburn. Do we really have any leverage to try to negotiate with? My only point with that is showing that although last year AU had great numbers in viewers and attendance it goes well beyond that. ND is the only school in the country that can negotiate a contract with a network.

Always prefered Nike over UA. I will wear UA shirts, shorts and other apparel but HATE their cleats/footwear. As a former soccer player, you couldn't PAY ME to wear UA cleats. It's no secret football and basketball players prefer Nike/Adidas as well. I'd vote Nike over UA any day of the week.

This. As a coach,trainer, and athlete I'll wear UA clothing but generally prefer Nike in most cases. UA shoes are garbage and that's putting it nicely. Nike makes far superior clothing,uniforms,and shoes/cleats.

Obviously UA "needs us" more than Nike but at what point do we decide that better equipment and better recruiting( fact) is worth more than the difference in what Nike and UA pay us? Maybe never...but I'd absolutely love for us to switch to Nike ,even if they didn't pay us as much as Under Armour.

I'm not familiar with the quality of the equipment. I'll take the word of people here that have experience with that. It doesn't matter to me which way they go. I'll still buy the gear either way. Just go with whichever one they think is best for Auburn overall.

I thought the all navy ND uniforms were sharp, but I'm not opposed to alternate uniforms. As far as Nike v Under Armour, I like UA apparel and have never worn their shoes. I wear both UA compression and Nike pro combat hyper cool under my kevlar at work, both are comfortable quality. I've had the UA for years and wears just as good as the day I purchased it. They show very little wear and tear. Now, as far as the contract is concerned, I'm good with whomever the coaches prefer. Nike does seem to have the best and most choices for fan wear. As far as a fan base, ND is bigger. They have a huge following in the chicago area. They also happen to be my second favorite team.

The new line of UA football cleats are as good or better than anything Nike has out right now. Those of you complaining about their "terrible cleats" are literally years behind. Their basketball shoes still need work, but the football equipment is a complete non-issue.

Why would UA consider renegotiating a current contract with us, if it runs thru 2017?

Maybe because if they didn't, we would let the contract play out and then move on to a competitor. Pretty much the same reasons contracts are often re-done mid term.

Archived