Last Night on offense

WarEagle1982

First of all, let me say that I am proud they did what they had to do and took what the defense gave them in order to win the ballgame. For the most part, Marshall looked good throwing the ball. If not for the wide open drops, and Sammie Coates not laying out and selling out to catch that early deep ball (I feel like he should have layed out for it) we are talking about a 300 yard passing performance and a possible 3 to 4 touchdown victory. I certainly hope Coach Craig gets those receivers back to Auburn and gets after their butts big time! Dropped balls are inexcusable. Another thing I noticed last night was that SEVERAL times on the zone read it looked like he could have pulled the ball and picked up big yardage. The question I have is: were they predetermining the call or was he missing the read? I think the run game would have opened up a lot had he pulled it more. Also, the way K-State was playing their ends in tight (I think they were trying to stop the power and counter) I kept waiting for them to run the bucksweep because that is what they look for when they run it. They ran the play once all night and it was late on that final drive. I was just wondering if anyone else noticed these same things.

First of all, let me say that I am proud they did what they had to do and took what the defense gave them in order to win the ballgame. For the most part, Marshall looked good throwing the ball. If not for the wide open drops, and Sammie Coates not laying out and selling out to catch that early deep ball (I feel like he should have layed out for it) we are talking about a 300 yard passing performance and a possible 3 to 4 touchdown victory. I certainly hope Coach Craig gets those receivers back to Auburn and gets after their butts big time! Dropped balls are inexcusable. Another thing I noticed last night was that SEVERAL times on the zone read it looked like he could have pulled the ball and picked up big yardage. The question I have is: were they predetermining the call or was he missing the read? I think the run game would have opened up a lot had he pulled it more. Also, the way K-State was playing their ends in tight (I think they were trying to stop the power and counter) I kept waiting for them to run the bucksweep because that is what they look for when they run it. They ran the play once all night and it was late on that final drive. I was just wondering if anyone else noticed these same things.

yeah i was wondering why they kept giving it to cap up the middle repeatedly when there was the same result...stuffed.. i hope it was just predetermined

It seems Sammie is still hurting from his knee injury. It was pretty evident when he couldn't finish his route one play. I wish he could have laid out to catch the ball but if he was healthy, he probably could have caught the ball in stride. I'm guessing he will not play next week.

Those tip passes over the middle were killer. NM did save the day in the end, but those flat over the middle passes led to many a three and out.

(and an interception)

Those tip passes over the middle were killer. NM did save the day in the end, but those flat over the middle passes led to many a three and out.

(and an interception)

Remember a lot of that is on the OL not getting a very good block on the lineman they are blocking. Although they do keep the defender away from the quarterback, he is not locked up all the way on a block, and can easily jump up without any push by a lineman to deflect a pass. Little things led to a lot of poor stats and poor plays but I have confidence this staff will fix them. The offense just looks a tad more out of sync than last year but in all, when did we really get insync with this offense? Probably not until 2nd half of LSU game which was our 4th game. Hopefully, we will begin to gel.

I was mystified at the beginning, seeing NM passing so much. Marshall had 31 pass attempts on the night. That's a lot more than we got used to seeing last year.

But then I realized that KSU runs the read-option a lot (just watch the ISU game). So they are used to seeing it and are good at defending it. The way KSU was stuffing our running game was evidence of that. It's not like the OL just forgot to block. So, I figured that passing more was necessary. The passing game is not really the strength of Auburn's offense. But Auburn just made fewer mistakes on offense and took advantage of the opportunities presented. KSU was not able to capitalize on its chances.

SEC network broke down some of this last night. Definitely missed a couple of long runs because not making the right read. Got to get those corrected for SEC opponents.

Anyone know why some of the zone-read plays are actually called from the sideline? As in if its a keep or a give Marshall doesn't have full control of whether he keeps or gives it? They've said this numerous times in broadcasts over the past season + 3 games that coaches are suspecting NM is not actually making any read at all on SOME of the plays.

Why wouldn't NM be the decision-maker in the play rather than it being predetermined?

I bet Sammie was a little frustrated last night. He was open behind the defense several times last night. The ball was just out of reach a few times, Nick didn't see him a few times, and he missed one or two he should've caught.

It's a game of inches. If those "inches" go our way, this would be an explosive passing offense, which would make our run game even more deadly.

What we were hoping for at the beginning of the season is still very much a realistic possibility.

I saw pulling guards not blocking the first guy and getting upfield a few times. Whether by design or not you either gotta block the guys or run around them.

Anyone know why some of the zone-read plays are actually called from the sideline? As in if its a keep or a give Marshall doesn't have full control of whether he keeps or gives it? They've said this numerous times in broadcasts over the past season + 3 games that coaches are suspecting NM is not actually making any read at all on SOME of the plays.

Why wouldn't NM be the decision-maker in the play rather than it being predetermined?

Because at certain times in a game coaches want to dictate what happens on a "read" play. Usually it's because they want to make sure the inside run is tried enough to set up other options later.

Just MHO, we were sliding so bad on that crap turf that the decision was made to run straight at KSU.

That was not our O at all. It was a pass happy bunch looking to get out of a bad situation with with as littel damage as possible.

That turf was so bad, it reminded me of the BCS Game.

Throw in the refs that would not call a hold nor a block in the back and there you go.

It is over we won. Next: LaTech.

Offense had a really bad night for whatever reason. Agree that the turf caused us problems, but the offense just looked totally our of sync.

Plenty of time to correct the issues, whether they were communication issues, lethargy, etc. Might be a sense of entitlement that this offense thinks they have. At any rate, one game, learn from these mistakes, correct them, and move forward.

Really encouraging game with our Defense. Defense did well and are definitely growing up.

Grades

Overall Offense: C- (too many mistakes, too many dropped passes, too many missed assignments, no running lanes).

Defense: A- (Might be the best game that they have played outside the NC game, where one busted coverage cost us the Natty).

Special Teams: C (Kicks were great, coverage terrible.. I agree, lots of blocks in the backs that were not called).

Archived