gattis

gabe_96

Bama Bo, I'd love to see what your thoughts on a controversy like this would be if it was Alabama trying to squeeze in the BCS title game and Jay Tate, the Auburn beat writer for the Montgomery Advertiser, did this to Bama?  Even if it didn't affect the outcome by his one vote alone, would it not smell fishy to you?  Would it bother you that perhaps his being the home state writer and not voting your team higher potentially tipped the scales for other voters who knew less about Bama that year?  I think it would.

130816[/snapback]

You picked a good one to ask me about in Jay G. Tate! I've lived in or around Montgomery all my life (heck, when I was younger I thought it was the only newspaper in the state). I've been reading Jay Tate for a long time and I can almost garauntee he would ot vote Alabama #1 even if they hadn't lost a game in 3 years. He is a true Bama hater. The Montgonery Advertiser is almost as Auburn slanted as the Tuscaloosa News is Alabama slanted. Which is understandable since Montgomery is so close to Auburn and the majority of the football fans in Monkeytown are AU fans.

You do have a possibly valid point in out of the area writers seeing someone from AU's own state not voting for them and it influencing them.

130837[/snapback]

Beat writers should not be allowed to vote in the AP poll. This was an oversight by the HSV Times. Gattis will not be a voter next year.

Proud, I didn't say that you should suppress your opinion. But fire the guy because he doesn't see things the way you see things? :blink: I didn't have a problem with his vote, he was just one of 51 2/3 votes who thought that AU was not the #1 team in the land. Gattis handled this issue poorly from the outset. I became incensed after reading his diatribe in the Monday paper. Gattis is now paying the price for his immaturity and arrogance. How's the cold Paul???

:au:

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Concerning Gattis: I don't believe the issue here is how he voted as much as it is his despicable attitude. This obnoxious child-like attitude of his for an adult leaves much to be desired. He has brought a great deal of embarrassment to his employer. He has damaged the credibility of the newspaper. He has proven himself to be without objectivity in his writing.

Someone suggested for his punishment that he be assigned to be the beat writer for AU next year. I personally would rather not have writers of this ilk at the Lovelist Village. Would I read anything he wrote? Of course not, for he has no credibility.

Concerning Gattis: I don't believe the issue here is how he voted as much as it is his despicable attitude.  This obnoxious child-like attitude of his for an adult leaves much to be desired.  He has brought a great deal of embarrassment to his employer.  He has damaged the credibility of the newspaper.  He has proven himself to be without objectivity in his writing.

Someone suggested for his punishment that he be assigned to be the beat writer for AU next year.  I personally would rather not have writers of this ilk at the Lovelist Village.  Would I read anything he wrote?  Of course not, for he has no credibility.

130849[/snapback]

Someone got it! Finally!

Beat writers should not be allowed to vote in the AP poll. This was an oversight by the HSV Times. Gattis will not be a voter next year.

130842[/snapback]

I agree. Randy Kennedy (Mobile Register) made a point about this on Finebaum yesterday. Beat writers at newspapers aren't paid to write opinions. They are paid to write facts. Opinions belong to senior writers/editors. When you are so close to any program, you objectivity toward all programs becomes a little skewed. Had Gattis not been on the Bama beat, then this wouldn't have even been an issue.

I still trust his voting, however.

this is a ridiculous tread.  please shut it down!

130807[/snapback]

If it were so ridiculous, it probably wouldn't be this long. Don't read it if you find it ridiculous, but why shut it down?

If I am not mistaken, didn't an Oklahoma voter, vote us #1 earlier in the year? He recieved hundreds of e-mails and even death threats. Last time I checked Oklahoma was his #1. Auburn didn't lose so why didn't he act just as ignorant as Gattis and keep us #1? Do you Bama fans really think that the Tide Nation would stand for a state writer to vote them #3. I mean how dare he do that. But when we complain it is nothing but sour grapes.

II would just like to see this guys reasoning for continuing to pick USC at number 2.

As much I as I wanted to see Auburn play USC for the NC, I agree with him that OU is the better than USC and should be in Miami playing us. :)

As far as the "shoe on the Bama foot" argument, it is my opinion that this guy would have Alabama ranked number 1 if they were 12-0 and SEC Champs. I understand that he has some journalistic ethics involved, but you do not follow day in and day out a football team and not develop some emotional ties to them and their outcome.

Bama fans would be just as upset as we are at Gattis's vote if Philip Marshall had done the reverse and voted a 12-0 SEC Champ Bama #3 behind two other undefeated teams.

Do I expect a sports writer in Alabama to vote Auburn, Alabama, Troy, or UAB number one in the nation just because they are "close" to the top of polls? No. It was his vote, he made his decision, he made an ass of himself in defending that decision, and that is that.

Bleh enough of the grousing about a jackass sportswriter and his AP vote.

I know who I voted number 1 in the ESPN fan poll every week since the LSU game. Auburn will enjoy their trip to NO and hopefully have some fun with the Hokies in the process.

WDE!

Jason

tidefan 24--you ask why we didn't send e-mails to all voters not voting Auburn #1. I can't speak for everyone but my reason is I only pay to get one paper, The Huntsville Times. Since I pay, it is not reasonable that I give feedback like a lot of people do in such ways as Letters to the Editor columns. And you stil aren't getting it.....I didn't complain about how he voted. The Gattis issue is not the only issue I have has discussion about with the Huntsville Times. I have discussed their coverage of the SACS issue and how they blew it up. Now that they have seen the outcome of this, they have a little egg on their face about this issue too. But bama isn't involved in this issue in any way so it's not much fun to talk about :D

AUesquire--i agree with you about firing the guy. But who said anything about firing him except some here who assumed that's what some of us were trying to do. Not the case.

Raven Tiger--I agree that beat writers shouldn't be allowed to vote because of the perception problem. I told Gattis and the other Times people that. But I don't see how you can say this was an oversight by the Times when they didn't know Gattis was voting until it came out in the B'ham News.

kingfish---yay, you nailed it man. It was never about how he voted,getting him fired, or acusing him of bama biases, but his attitude about the whole thing and his ultimate melt down.

Look folks I haven't said it to this point but doesn't it strike you as odd that he tried to keep his voting quiet and then say it had nothing to do with the paper. Go look at any list of the AP voters and it will give the voters name and his media affiliation. When they list Gattis it's says Paul Gattis, Huntsville, Alabama Times. How could he say it had nothing to do with the paper? What would you say to him if you were his editor and he tried to hide his voting and denied it had anything to do with his employment by The Times? :(

Why should he have had to even explain why he voted the way he did?? Its his opinion no matter what team he likes..I'm sure if my inbox was flooded with e-mails from people over my opinion i'd get frustrated too..

It's not like he's some martyr. Voters get asked this question every year by fans of various schools. His vote should have a rationale to it, otherwise he doesn't deserve to be a voter. Asking him to explain that rationale is not some breach of sacred football etiquette.

this is a ridiculous tread.  please shut it down!

130807[/snapback]

If it were so ridiculous, it probably wouldn't be this long. Don't read it if you find it ridiculous, but why shut it down?

130862[/snapback]

finally someone responded to my statement. just like the writer i stated my opinion. if you don't like what i wrote move on.... like others, i agree his statements were obnoxious and profoundly unprofessional; however, it is his right to make an opinion which is unique about the united states and the constitution. granite being offensive towards gender, ethincity and race must not be tolerated but he only offended :au: fans. for individuals who threated him in letters or emails it was unethical and any moral values were left at the front door. i believe people should address the media professionally through letters to the editor stating opinions and beliefs. that is what helps sells newspapers and magazines. this is what makes people listen to the radio or watch tv. if everyone agrees then life would not be interesting. this forum would be boring.

i actually enjoy reading this thread it is interesting (i didn't really want it to shut down... i was trying to make opioniated point). this what keeps me coming back to it as well as other threads. i stated my opinion and moved on....just like you did.

After reading this entire thread, it is obvious to me that the problem isn't Gaddis, the newspaper, NCAA, BCS or other such entity.

Clearly it is BAMMER that is the root of all that is evil in the world. Wouldn't the world be a better place without the BAMMERS? Someone said "Bear's Dead." Why drag this thing out any longer?

The answer is simple, give the BAMMERS a few acres in OKlahoma and move 'em out! Hell, they can watch red and white football, and most of 'em will just think the "OU" on the helmet is the player's "number." There's not a better team in the state to whip them year after year after year. They'd be better off there, and we wouldn't miss 'em.

So, I would ask PT to start e-mailin' 'em all and tell them where to go. I know I have a special place in mind for them. If he can get an editorial out of a small city newspaper, surely PT can run the BAMMERS off.

GO PT!

GO WEST BAMMERS GO WEST

The removal of the Bammers from Alabama to Okiehoma shall forever be known as the "Trail of Turds."

131083[/snapback]

Will they make a movie?

finally someone responded to my statement.  just like the writer i stated my opinion.  if you don't like what i wrote move on.... like others, i agree his statements were obnoxious and profoundly unprofessional; however, it is his right to make an opinion which is unique about the united states and the constitution.  granite being offensive towards gender, ethincity and race must not be tolerated but he only offended  :au: fans.  for individuals who threated him in letters or emails it was unethical and any moral values were left at the front door. i believe people should address the media professionally through letters to the editor stating opinions and beliefs.  that is what helps sells newspapers and magazines.  this is what makes people listen to the radio or watch tv.  if everyone agrees then life would not be interesting. this forum would be boring. 

131014[/snapback]

chinook.....I think he hs the right to say anthing his paper aprroves of, not the right to use the paper to express his personal opinions. He is paid by the paper so subjects himself to their rules. In this case the paper didn't know what the employee was doing because he hid it. So why do you defend this guy. I think subscribers have the tight to let the paper know what they think which is what some of did. Who are these people you say were rude to him or threatned him? It certainly wasn't me. All of my communicatins with him and others was professional disagreement. John Pruitt, the Sports Editor and I have known each other for years. he is an Auburn grad. At the end of our discussion we wished each other a merry Christmas. The person who got mad with Gattis was the paper's editor and she had every right and reason to be IMHO.

Obviously, this man is not very bright. However, he was chosen to vote by the NCAA, and that should say something. The NCAA has to know how political voting is; it happens in this country every four years, and it's just like the way the AP and Coaches poll's vote on a college football team. It is COMPLETELY BIASED!!! There is no way anyone can say it isn't.

Reading Gattis' email proves that it is because no one would be so stupid or arrogant to write something like that if he had a rationale for doing what he did. If you read the article, it is obvious that he didn't have any reasons for not voting Auburn higher because he just said I voted the way I did because OK and USC didn't lose. How ridiculous!!!! He must not know anything about football if that is his formula.

What makes him even more stupid, if that is possible, is him saying you can't compare stats because none of them played a common opponent. Well, then what do you compare? How can you not compare stats? Why would you not compare stats by comparing equal teams talents with teams they played with equal talents. For example, compare the Auburn v. Georgia game to the USC v. Cal game and the Oklahoma v. Texas game. Now, after you did that, I don't see how you could say that Auburn did not play better than at least one of those teams ranked above them if not both.

In regards to having Gattis fired, I agree that it is not a good idea, but I also think that nobody requested that. Asking him to give his rationale, is not asking him to get fired. Now, for the way he wrote his article after being asked his opinion, that is a reason to get fired. I have never read a newspaper article that is so degarding to its readers. That should result in a lot of people cancelling their subscription because if my hometown newspaper had done something like that to me, I sure as hell would have cancelled mine. No way am I going to waste my time reading something that calls me stupid. But again, I would never ask to get that person fired. If that's what happened, then so be it. Be more professional and it won't happen.

I've wasted enough time on this subject so I think that's all I have to say...Oh yeah....

WAR DAMN EAGLE AND BEAT THE HOKIES!!!!!

proud tiger, i am only defending the guy's right to express his opinion that is an editorial. i don't recall it being a story that should be written professionally, w/o personnel opinion and contain factual information.

i personally didn't like his attitude, just like other's on this thread. agree, the paper is a business, but did the guy really offend a gender or race? he didn't pull a rush or a jimmy the greek. he offended :au: fans ( i guess, i don't recall him saying AU fans were stupid) not someone's race etc...for not voting au #1.

does it warrant an apology? i don't think so, the paper's editor did so because it was the business and political thing to do. imo, she is covering her a**. why did it print? didn't the sports editor review the editorial? i can't believe the guy snuck it in during press time. that is what sux about today, expressing oneself can't be done because of the mighty buck and because of political correctness!

in regards to threatening i probably didn't choose the right wording but from what i recall people did spread rumors to get him fired.

like you said you wrote to him expressing your feelings and i said that in my statement people have the right to express their feelings through letters to the editor. likewise, people have a decision on regarding subscription.

war eagle! :cheer:

Obviously, this man is not very bright. However, he was chosen to vote by the NCAA, and that should say something. The NCAA has to know how political voting is; it happens in this country every four years, and it's just like the way the AP and Coaches poll's vote on a college football team. It is COMPLETELY BIASED!!! There is no way anyone can say it isn't.

Reading Gattis' email proves that it is because no one would be so stupid or arrogant to write something like that if he had a rationale for doing what he did. If you read the article, it is obvious that he didn't have any reasons for not voting Auburn higher because he just said I voted the way I did because OK and USC didn't lose. How ridiculous!!!!  He must not know anything about football if that is his formula.

What makes him even more stupid, if that is possible, is him saying you can't compare stats because none of them played a common opponent. Well, then what do you compare? How can you not compare stats? Why would you not compare stats by comparing equal teams talents with teams they played with equal talents. For example, compare the Auburn v. Georgia game to the USC v. Cal game and the Oklahoma v. Texas game. Now, after you did that, I don't see how you could say that Auburn did not play better than at least one of those teams ranked above them if not both.

In regards to having Gattis fired, I agree that it is not a good idea, but I also think that nobody requested that. Asking him to give his rationale, is not asking him to get fired. Now, for the way he wrote his article after being asked his opinion, that is a reason to get fired. I have never read a newspaper article that is so degarding to its readers. That should result in a lot of people cancelling their subscription because if my hometown newspaper had done something like that to me, I sure as hell would have cancelled mine. No way am I going to waste my time reading something that calls me stupid. But again, I would never ask to get that person fired. If that's what happened, then so be it. Be more professional and it won't happen.

I've wasted enough time on this subject so I think that's all I have to say...Oh yeah....

WAR DAMN EAGLE AND BEAT THE HOKIES!!!!!

131105[/snapback]

I couldn't say any better. :au:

i personally didn't like his attitude, just like other's on this thread.  agree, the paper is a business, but did the guy really offend a gender or race?  he didn't pull a rush or a jimmy the greek.  he offended :au: fans ( i guess, i don't recall him saying AU fans were stupid) not someone's race etc...for not voting au #1. 

war eagle!   :cheer:

131113[/snapback]

Do I have to be a woman or a minority race to be offended? I think not. He offended me as an Auburn grad and that's probably the worst thing you can do to me :D:D:D

I might add that my wife is a grad of Oregon St. and is not into football or the Auburn-bama thing like most of us are. I let her read the Gattis article without saying a word or giving her any background. She thought it was arrogant and unprofessional and said if she were his boss she would fire him. Now would you like to argue with a Beaver? :poke:

After reading this entire thread, it is obvious to me that the problem isn't Gaddis, the newspaper, NCAA, BCS or other such entity. 

Clearly it is BAMMER that is the root of all that is evil in the world.  Wouldn't the world be a better place without the BAMMERS?  Someone said "Bear's Dead."  Why drag this thing out any longer?

The answer is simple, give the BAMMERS a few acres in OKlahoma and move 'em out!  Hell, they can watch red and white football, and most of 'em will just think the "OU" on the helmet is the player's "number."  There's not a better team in the state to whip them year after year after year.  They'd be better off there, and we wouldn't miss 'em. 

So, I would ask PT to start e-mailin' 'em all and tell them where to go.  I know I have a special place in mind for them.  If he can get an editorial out of a small city newspaper, surely PT can run the BAMMERS off.

GO PT! 

GO WEST BAMMERS GO WEST

131066[/snapback]

Guess I better not do that because it would include my oldest daughter who is happy in Orlando. And though she is on the dark side, I still love her and my other two daughters, both Auburn grads, and I give her all the hell she needs.

By the way she is a typical bama fan. At halftime in the last Iron Bowl and bama ahead she called and saked if I were watching the game. I said yes but I will call you back after it is over. Naturally when I called back after the game no one answered. :lol:

Beah's ghost still lives in the state of Bammer. He probably slipped out of Elmwood during the night and did his arm twisting with pollsters to get them to not to vote for Auburn. After all, he was called the "kingmaker" and he sure didn't like Auburn. :D

Obviously, this man is not very bright. However, he was chosen to vote by the NCAA, and that should say something.

131105[/snapback]

He was not chosen by the NCAA. He was chosen by the AP.

Archived