coats deep routs

Stripe

Why does Coats not ever dive for the ball? So many passes just off his finger tips that if he would just lay out for it he would catch it.

Have you ever tried diving for a ball over your shoulders? Very difficult

Yes I have.

Yeah. Pretty much every game, too. I would love to go back through this season and see how many of the drops were "catchable" - yeah, I know, judgement call, but I imagine that there were several.

EDIT: A good point, I do wonder how much "leap" forward he has with the knee.

That wasn't even a ball that he needed to dive for. Watch it again, he straight up slows down in the last ~5 yards. If he runs THROUGH that ball it hits him in stride, period. I've called Marshall out on erratic throws, but that one was perfect. I've seen enough from Coates now to conclude that his awareness is non-existent. It straight up looks like he starts jogging every time he has his man beat deep and the ball is in flight.

Alligator arms all day long. He's done that since he's been here though, not anything new and certainly not due to an injury. That's just the way the kid rolls. Take the good with the bad.

i think he let up. misjudged, maybe.

He definitely let up, and he ROUTINELY does it. I really can't conclude whether he is a giant baby with piss-poor effort, or if for whatever reason he can't seem to judge the flight of the ball. He gives up so badly that it almost looks like he's petrified of over-running the ball.

Just to stay on topic of Coates, he has yet to catch a deep straight run pass this year. The reason we were given is that he has not healed and doesn't have the speed. Fine but why do the coaches keep calling that play? Either call somebody else's number or don't run it znd waste a critical down.

OMG do you think the play call is "pass to Coates"? The QB has multiple options per play. The fly route to Sammie is one facet of the pass play. I assume you have never played a down of football in your life and feel the play call is called as such:

Guz Malzahn calling the play into the huddle" "Hey guys...fly route to sammie. That's all. No one else"

Nick Marshall: Hey guys...fly route to sammie. Everyone else look busy!

At some point, blame someone else than the coaches. Maybe those executing the plays.

Just to stay on topic of Coates, he has yet to catch a deep straight run pass this year. The reason we were given is that he has not healed and doesn't have the speed. Fine but why do the coaches keep calling that play? Either call somebody else's number or don't run it znd waste a critical down.

He caught one last week. But this is 2 years in a row that if he can't catch the ball standing up and continuing to run he doesn't seem to make an attempt. It's like all he's concerned with is making a TD on the play. He never lays out to make the catch...never.

He definitely let up, and he ROUTINELY does it. I really can't conclude whether he is a giant baby with piss-poor effort, or if for whatever reason he can't seem to judge the flight of the ball. He gives up so badly that it almost looks like he's petrified of over-running the ball.

As much as it pains me to say this, I think you are correct. I love Sammie but for some reason he just will NOT lay out/ run under those deep passes.

As much as it pains me to say this, I think you are correct. I love Sammie but for some reason he just will NOT lay out/ run under those deep passes.

Let me add this. We did not lose this game because of Sammie. Not even close. We simply do not have a passing game. Thats what cost us.

When you're at a full sprint, I don't think jumping gets you to the ball any better than running under it. Keyword: full-sprint.

Exactly. Whats frustrating isn't that he's not diving, its that he lets up on the route which puts him in a position where he NEEDS to dive. Like, just ******* sprint and go score a touchdown. He looks like a complete goof when he sticks his arms out and runs in that position for 5 yards as the ball just falls right in front of his face.

OMG do you think the play call is "pass to Coates"? The QB has multiple options per play. The fly route to Sammie is one facet of the pass play. I assume you have never played a down of football in your life and feel the play call is called as such:

Guz Malzahn calling the play into the huddle" "Hey guys...fly route to sammie. That's all. No one else"

At some point, blame someone else than the coaches. Maybe those executing the plays.

Well, that was a reasonable response.

1. Who cares if they've never played a down of football in their life? There are a bunch of knowledgeable posters on here that never played, but know a great deal more than I do. Hell, there are current NCAA coaches who never played a down of football - Mike Leach, for instance.

2. Contrary to your informed opinion on the state of play calling, it may surprise you to learn that Gus does indeed draw some plays up where the receiver to be thrown to is designated. Case in point would be the Hail Mary in the UGA game last year. The play was DESIGNED to clear out the entire left side of the field and rub the defender covering Sammie. CGM said in an interview (and I will try to find it) that it was supposed to go to Sammie for about 25-30 yards to get the first down. So...yeah, sometimes, the play call comes in pretty much like you just showed your rear end with.

My point is that either NM always overthrows him (not the case) or Coates has failed to catch what I believe is now four fly routes in a row. Some have gone thru his hands or he was one step short. If his speed is not there, the grow needs to be adjusted accordingly or as others have commented, Sammie needs to lay out and make the catch.

And btw, I'm from Iowa too

Guys we made too many mistakes to win on the road

True

Archived