"Duplicate number" missed call is the officiating story of the game???!!

homersapien

Can you believe this?

After the out-of-bounds PI and open field block-in-the-back tackle-from-the-back THIS is the missed call that gets attention?

An infraction that had NO impact on the outcome of the play????

WTF?! :dunno:

http://espn.go.com/c...olina-gamecocks

Fix that for ya.

I am just happy to see a blown call go in AU's favor at our own house!

It seems like most of them have a grip on the reality of what happened. Sure they get another play, but they are still looking at a Hail Mary pass. Only one poster seems bent out of shape over it.

They have a legitimate gripe that a penalty was not called that should have been. Just like our gripes (and several where CGM was fuming over) on Holsey being tackled that could have stopped run for a first down, or when Monty was tackled and couldn't get to the QB or the out-of-bounds PI call in the end zone.

We got away with one, not sure it would have changed the outcome of the game, but sure would have been interesting.

Once again, Spurrier tells it like it is!

Spurrier said Sunday that the extra play probably wouldn't have made a difference and calls are missed all the time for both teams.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11767369/sec-says-auburn-tigers-penalized-final-play-south-carolina-gamecocks

Take out USCe and insert AU and they are saying the same thing that many here are saying. Who knows if a second HM would have worked out for them and for that matter, who knows if they would have had the chance for one if that PI was not called. Fans love their college football.

Referencing the USCe board from above.

Take out USCe and insert AU and they are saying the same thing that many here are saying. Who knows if a second HM would have worked out for them and for that matter, who knows if they would have had the chance for one if that PI was not called. Fans love their college football.

Referencing the USCe board from above.

I doubt ESPN would be making a big deal over it if the teams were reversed. Yes, we as fans would be irate but ESPN wouldn't care.

If it had been reversed and AU got a bad call on the last play of the game, I don't think BSPN would be saying anything about a final bad call

The BSPN story all week would have been about Spurrier's great game plan and the 4th down plays he called.

Auburn basically ruined BSPNs story line for several days about the great play and win by USCe....................

Bama Sports Properties Network

I'm already over it. ;)

I don't really see the big deal with the number thing. If it was done by us on offensive side they would have every right to be pissed. It would not have changed the outcome of the play if we would have had 4 players with the same number! Yes they missed the call, but it was not nearly as game changing as others they missed.

Just to clarify, I think the USCe fans are taking it like we would.

It's BSPN that my OP is about. Why pick out that no-call as being "newsworthy" or notable? It pales in comparison to the other missed calls.

I realize the occasional bad call will happen. But to have so many in these close games is effectively putting the game in the refs hands instead of the teams. The conference really needs to address this.

It's BSPN that my OP is about. Why pick out that no-call as being "newsworthy" or notable? It pales in comparison to the other missed calls.

I realize the occasional bad call will happen. But to have so many in these close games is effectively putting the game in the refs hands instead of the teams. The conference really needs to address this.

I'm with you, but I think the reason you see missed calls like this become stories is because they are cut and dry. The terrible offensive PI call in the MSU game, for example, was a much worse and more meaningful play, but any judgment call is going to inherently be less objective.

Some SC fans aren't taking it very well. That's some weapons grade denial. :laugh:/>

This board would've been in total meltdown mode if it happened vice versa, though.

No...no it wouldn't. Whining about a hail mary JERSEY NUMBER violation is universally stupid.

I'm with you, but I think the reason you see missed calls like this become stories is because they are cut and dry. The terrible offensive PI call in the MSU game, for example, was a much worse and more meaningful play, but any judgment call is going to inherently be less objective.

Oh I agree. It's an easy little "sound bite" point to make.

It just pisses me off that someone who didn't follow the game will look at the piece and just conclude that Auburn just got another "lucky break" which is the mythical story line from last year.

But it don't mean nothing. No one can accuse us of "lucking" our way into the playoff if we keep winning.

I think it made the news because it was a very unusual situation. Just how many times HAS a story about "duplicate number" fouls (or missed fouls) been told? I hate BSPN as much as anybody but you gotta admit it's a pretty weird thing to see actually occur in a game... It's like a 5th down that doesn't get called, or not resetting the game/play clock correctly. Granted, those effect the game outcome whereas dupe numbers on defense would not but those are pretty rare situations so they (the media) LOVE to talk about them when they are discovered. They're like a good redneck... "Hay y'all....didja see THAT?!?!"

Speaking of duplicate numbers, check out the Ole Miss football roster. It's driven me crazy when working on the "Lookalikes" page! :wareagle: http://www.olemisssports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/ole-m-footbl-mtt.html

Penalties are to insure that one team does not gain an unfair advantage during a play. I certainly understand duplicate numbers and how it could create confusion during a normal play. But in this case it had no impact and did not give AU any type of advantage.

Penalties are to insure that one team does not gain an unfair advantage during a play. I certainly understand duplicate numbers and how it could create confusion during a normal play. But in this case it had no impact and did not give AU any type of advantage.

I can see where the confusion would come in, one of the #1s is 306 pounds and lined up in a four point stance across from the Center and the other one is 216 pounds and lined up 30 yards back in the defensive backfield.

I can see where the confusion would come in, one of the #1s is 306 pounds and lined up in a four point stance across from the Center and the other one is 216 pounds and lined up 30 yards back in the defensive backfield.

I WAS wondering what in the world Montravious was doing back there in pass coverage.... :dunno:

At the end of the Ole Miss game, they brought it up again and noted that Duke was on the sideline with a towel on his head. But then they missed the foul by Ole Miss who had a second forward pass (which is illegal) on the last play of the game. Did not effect the outcome so they probably did not throw the flag but lets see if it is mentioned.

Archived