Week 12 (Auburn vs. Georgia) - Sunday Updates

RunInRed

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
114 yards after contact on 11 missed tackles against Texas A&M.

Johnson: "The tackling was not good. … (after the bye week) we put a 5-minute tackling circuit in our (practices)."

5 minutes?! 5 minutes?! 5 minutes?

Oh, and after the bye week?!

No wonder we're having issues tackling. If that's the type of attention tackling is getting in practice, the coaches are clearly communicating that tackling is not a priority. But the reality is this: if players can't tackle, it doesn't matter if they're in position to make plays.

...... :dunno:/> Where did that come from?

If you decide to spend only 5 minutes on something, and as an afterthought, you are clearly communicating that it's not realiy that important. Actions speak louder than words.

If Johnson wanted to, he could devote any amount of time (within that allowable) to tackling. Frankly, I'd have the team making tackle after tackle this week to communicate clearly that the effort they put forth ON TACKLING in the last game was unacceptable.

Yeah that's crazy. Clearly tackling was going to be very important against a team such as this. Miss the easy tackle it will be a thirty yard gain

agreed^^ clearly to me the game has passed ole pawpaw by

Johnson: "The tackling was not good. … (after the bye week) we put a 5-minute tackling circuit in our (practices)."

No wonder we're having issues tackling. If that's the type of attention tackling is getting in practice, the coaches are clearly communicating that tackling is not a priority. But the reality is this: if players can't tackle, it doesn't matter if they're in position to make plays.

If you decide to spend only 5 minutes on something, and as an afterthought, you are clearly communicating that it's not realiy that important. Actions speak louder than words.

If Johnson wanted to, he could devote any amount of time (within that allowable) to tackling. Frankly, I'd have the team making tackle after tackle this week to communicate clearly that the effort they put forth ON TACKLING in the last game was unacceptable.

He didn't say it was an after thought. Your making an inference and adding an opinion. I understand frustrations. I don't like poor play (offense/defense/special teams). What is said and done in those five minutes we will never know. What is said in team break out sessions, film room and positions drills as well. They do see the problems. Critics will continue until the defense plays better. Coaches and players are the ones who can make the change. Ellis addressed tackling. Coach Britt still has them on the field doing tackling drills.

Yes, I'm making an inference. If something is a priority, you show that by spending time in practice on it. If you only spend 5 minutes in practice on it, what you're showing is that it's not that big a priority.

You can say tackling is a priority all you want. But if it were a really big one, you'd spend more time working on it. That would show that you really believe tackling is a priority.

I guess you disagree. That's fine. But if we continue to spend only 5 minutes on tackling in practice, we'll continue to see players who fail to wrap up, missed tackles, and massive yardage after contact.

Tackling is important. Your saying tackling is not important to Coach Ellis Johnson.

If he thinks 5minutes is all that needs to be worked on then no it must not be too important to pawpaw

He didn't say it was an after thought. Your making an inference and adding an opinion. I understand frustrations. I don't like poor play (offense/defense/special teams). What is said and done in those five minutes we will never know. What is said in team break out sessions, film room and positions drills as well. They do see the problems. Critics will continue until the defense plays better. Coaches and players are the ones who can make the change. Ellis addressed tackling. Coach Britt still has them on the field doing tackling drills.

Yes, I'm making an inference. If something is a priority, you show that by spending time in practice on it. If you only spend 5 minutes in practice on it, what you're showing is that it's not that big a priority.

You can say tackling is a priority all you want. But if it were a really big one, you'd spend more time working on it. That would show that you really believe tackling is a priority.

I guess you disagree. That's fine. But if we continue to spend only 5 minutes on tackling in practice, we'll continue to see players who fail to wrap up, missed tackles, and massive yardage after contact.

Tackling is important. Your saying tackling is not important to Coach Ellis Johnson.

If he thinks 5minutes is all that needs to be worked on then no it must not be too important to pawpaw

I don't think you like Coach EJ

Gus allots how much time is devoted to each thing during practice. Not Johnson. The fact of the matter is, as long as we have an offensive minded head coach, things are going to be slanted towards the offense. Practice time is spent on perfecting the offense, not on D. Each practice session is limited in time so there are a certain number of reps Gus wants his offense to have in that time. The rest of it goes to the D/special teams.

Just like under Tubs the offense was mediocre/sub par for the most part of his tenure. He spent more time making sure the D was getting right.

If that's true, then Gus needs to devote more practice time to tackling.

Definitely not arguing that. Wasn't Johnson quoted as saying we didn't have as physical of a spring practice as last year? This could also be a key contributor in the tackling, or lack thereof. That is when these types of issues need to be worked out. You don't want to get too physical during game-week prep.

You guys are aware that most teams don't have portions of practice devoted to fundamentals during the season, right? It's not particularly common to work "tackling" mid-week. That's the kind of thing you do in spring and two-a-days. Game weeks are for install. He was making the point that, after the bye week, we stepped all the way back to just drilling fundamentals each day. Maybe we shouldn't scheme for opponents at all, and we should only work on tackling drills. I'm sure that would make our communication issues disappear.

^^This is true.

Maybe we should just sit back in a 2-deep shell all game. At least we'd be better suited to eliminate the "communication" issues and the big eff'n plays up the middle of the field.

I don't dislike him, it's just that he doesn't have it anymore

That is a fair opinion. He still has it.

You guys are aware that most teams don't have portions of practice devoted to fundamentals during the season, right? It's not particularly common to work "tackling" mid-week. That's the kind of thing you do in spring and two-a-days. Game weeks are for install. He was making the point that, after the bye week, we stepped all the way back to just drilling fundamentals each day. Maybe we shouldn't scheme for opponents at all, and we should only work on tackling drills. I'm sure that would make our communication issues disappear.

^^This is true.

Maybe we should just sit back in a 2-deep shell all game. At least we'd be better suited to eliminate the "communication" issues and the big eff'n plays up the middle of the field.

I am with Valley on this. 2 Deep zone, I think were playing zone on the Whitehead interception

That is a fair opinion. He still has it.

Where is it? Because I haven't seen it yet

That is a fair opinion. He still has it..

Where is it? Because I haven't seen it yet

You won't because it is a foregone conclusion to you that he is problem. We all see defensive struggles. You work with what you have and who you have. Sorry for diverting your energies away from your defensive fixes.

I'm not defending anything this defense has done these last few games but I do seem to recall that CEJ said during fall camp that the defense was going to struggle to get pass rush and this would be felt throughout the D.

Guest jojo1515

Ausburn, not sure what you mean by it.....if you mean the ability to take a bunch of 4 and 5 star guys and coach them into being a Defense that ranks outside of the top 90 in passing.....well then I guess you're right. He does still have it...

We are more than a season and half removed from a win less SEC season. Had a good recruiting year last year defensively. Playing with a recruited running back and a former receiver in the defensive secondary. Johnson is coaching the players we have. There are no excuses for poor performance and that falls back on all the coaches. Our two losses this year are team losses. Mississippi State game offensive turnovers put extra pressure on defense. Defense didn't handle it, but as a team the offense didn't help either. The other loss to A&M there were three fumbles and a special team turnover for a touchdown. Defense blew coverage assignments, pass rush pressure on quarterback was not present, and their running back gashed the line and linebackers. Both were winnable games if as a team we don't turn the ball over and play better defense. In the A&M loss there is as much work on corrections overall on offensive, special teams and defense to pass the blame around. Ellis Johnson and defensive play is too easy of a scape goat for the loss. Malzahn, Lashlee, Fountain, and Johnson share the brunt of criticism. They all see the problems. My opinion is that they can do the job with players we have. Coaches and players have to perform better.

You can't tell me the defensive players have not heard or seen what has been said about them the past three weeks. If that doesn't light a fire under them, I don't guess anything will. After what A&M's RB's did to them just imagine what Gurley and Chubb do.

We are more than a season and half removed from a win less SEC season. Had a good recruiting year last year defensively. Playing with a recruited running back and a former receiver in the defensive secondary. Johnson is coaching the players we have. There are no excuses for poor performance and that falls back on all the coaches. Our two losses this year are team losses. Mississippi State game offensive turnovers put extra pressure on defense. Defense didn't handle it, but as a team the offense didn't help either. The other loss to A&M there were three fumbles and a special team turnover for a touchdown. Defense blew coverage assignments, pass rush pressure on quarterback was not present, and their running back gashed the line and linebackers. Both were winnable games if as a team we don't turn the ball over and play better defense. In the A&M loss there is as much work on corrections overall on offensive, special teams and defense to pass the blame around. Ellis Johnson and defensive play is too easy of a scape goat for the loss. Malzahn, Lashlee, Fountain, and Johnson share the brunt of criticism. They all see the problems. My opinion is that they can do the job with players we have. Coaches and players have to perform better.

I agree with all of this. I'm not on the 'fire CEJ' bandwagon. I am just sick to death of seeing our defensive players not wrap up and make a real tackle.

I don't want to beat them to death with nothing but tackling drills for the rest of the season. But I do want the coaches to send the message that the sort of straightjacket, bumper car approach will not be tolerated. Spending only five minutes on tackling (even if that is 5 minutes more than most teams spend during the season) doesn't send that message IMO. That was all I was saying.

The tackling is so much better than it was two years ago. Look at Cass and compare him to the technique both he and Jake Holland displayed at the same position. Look at our CBs in run support (God only knows why they can't show the same physicality after the catch but I'm busy looking for silver linings). Personally, I see a lot of missed tackles due to guys being out of position, which means you aren't hitting a guy flush. Look at Evan Engram's long TD. He technically broke two tackles, but either of them would've been not good but great plays. Why? Because neither player in the zone was in the right spot before the catch so they were both in desperation mode after the catch.

That was 100% scouting and playcalling. We were banking on a turnover there. We kept the play in our hip pocket, and they didn't run the bubble screen for a while after that. We were saving that one, and Jones dropped the ball.

I strongly disagree about the tackling and any comparison with 2012. I think everyone has forgotten what that season actually looked like. We gave up 63 to A&M. We gave up 41 to an Ole Miss team that hadn't won a conference game in two years. That defense makes this one look like a demolition crew. There is a zero percent chance the 2012 defense could hold A&M's offense to 34 points (can't pin the other seven on the defense). None. If you think we look like 2012, you've just forgotten what 2012 looked like.

That was 100% scouting and playcalling. We were banking on a turnover there. We kept the play in our hip pocket, and they didn't run the bubble screen for a while after that. We were saving that one, and Jones dropped the ball.

I strongly disagree about the tackling and any comparison with 2012. I think everyone has forgotten what that season actually looked like. We gave up 63 to A&M. We gave up 41 to an Ole Miss team that hadn't won a conference game in two years. That defense makes this one look like a demolition crew. There is a zero percent chance the 2012 defense could hold A&M's offense to 34 points (can't pin the other seven on the defense). None. If you think we look like 2012, you've just forgotten what 2012 looked like.

Just like Saturday

Archived