Muschamp Offered DC Job

AuburnWarVet

As Florida struggled the past few years under CWM as head coach, I thought of the parallels with CGC's background:

• both were successful defensive coordinators at Auburn, then Texas;
  • both had strong reputations as recruiters;
  • both left for their respective first head coaching job as arguably the hottest assistant coach in the country at the time;
  • both did not experience the expected successes as head coaches that they had as assistants.

I know Coach Chizik was given a second chance as a head coach at Auburn, and many of his early successes were credited to Coach Malzahn, Cam and/or legacy players. However, when CGC left Auburn, he was radioactive. As far as I can recall, he was not mentioned as a candidate for any top defensive coordinator positions and certainly not for any head coaching positions.

I am super excited about the possibility of CWM coming back, but given the similarity in their backgrounds and situations, why is Coach Muschamp such a hot commodity for opportunities, while Coach Chizik was/is not?

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been a big fan of Odom as I have extended family with allegiances to Memphis and get to watch several of their games a year. I cannot deny Boom's immediate impact on the recruiting trail, but don't be disappointed if CBO shows up in O&B. Hard-nosed guy who demands-and gets- the most out of his guys.

As Florida struggled the past few years under CWM as head coach, I thought of the parallels with CGC's background:

• both were successful defensive coordinators at Auburn, then Texas;
  • both had strong reputations as recruiters;
  • both left for their respective first head coaching job as arguably the hottest assistant coach in the country at the time;
  • both did not experience the expected successes as head coaches that they had as assistants.

I know Coach Chizik was given a second chance as a head coach at Auburn, and many of his early successes were credited to Coach Malzahn, Cam and/or legacy players. However, when CGC left Auburn, he was radioactive. As far as I can recall, he was not mentioned as a candidate for any top defensive coordinator positions and certainly not for any head coaching positions.

I am super excited about the possibility of CWM coming back, but given the similarity in their backgrounds and situations, why is Coach Muschamp such a hot commodity for opportunities, while Coach Chizik was/is not?

Despite how bad the Florida team was under him it was due to bad O it was still a top tier Defense. When Chiz left Auburn his O and his D were bad. So difference is every place Muschamp has been his D was always good can't say that about Chiz at Iowa or Auburn when he was HC.

Anyone think that boom is interested in learning from Gus? His issue as a head coach was offense so maybe that's an extra appeal to working under Gus?

I've been a big fan of Odom as I have extended family with allegiances to Memphis and get to watch several of their games a year. I cannot deny Boom's immediate impact on the recruiting trail, but don't be disappointed if CBO shows up in O&B. Hard-nosed guy who demands-and gets- the most out of his guys.

This is spot on. I have personal knowledge of Coach Odom. He would be outstanding. I'm sure he has only gotten better since I played for him.

Who is this Muschamp guy of which you speak??? :dunno::jossun:

How do Odom's defenses stack up? Obviously I want the bigger, shinier option (CWM), but more than anything, I want a D that is distinguished by solid d-line play, linebackers who pop anyone who comes through the line, and a secondary that forces turnovers. AND NO MISSED TACKLES! Tackles like Junior Rosegreen laid on that dawg in 04. Thats what I want! Merry Christmas to me?

I'm on the Boom Train but would be happy with Clark, too. He's a true up and comer. I think he'd be motivated to stick to bammer in the IB.

I'm on the Boom Train but would be happy with Clark, too. He's a true up and comer. I think he'd be motivated to stick to bammer in the IB.

I don't think he is caught up too much in the politics of it. He just wants to coach. He probably lays as much of the blame on the UAB people as he does the turds

I've been concerned over the past few days with all the speculation, that if Muschamp doesn't come, then Auburn people would be disappointed in whoever else Gus hires. FWIW, I think we need to "coach ourselves" to respond differently. We need to be supportive & excited about new possibilities from whomever Gus brings in. "Splash" hires don't always mean success. Muschamp was a "splash" hire as HC at UF. Heck, Van Gorder was a "splash" hire as DC for us, & we all know how that worked out. I live in Memphis & can tell you that Odom is respected & appreciated for what he's done at the U of M. As a result, no one believes he'll be there long. He's been tagged 1 of the "up & comers." Just sayin'. If Muschamp goes to the NFL, I hope it's to the Falcons.

I got inside info that says we are looking at gathering a few of his people as assistants and the wait and see on them. Want to see who's in before breaking the news to others on the current staff.

- Sources

Chizik refused to give up on the Tampa Two. I find it interesting that the Tampa2 needs a MLB that is big enough to stop the run and fast enough to cover the seam. The star position is the same just at OLB. A player weighing 225-230 lbs that runs a sub 4.5 40 is needed IMO.

I believe out of the two others I would opt for Bill Clark since he is well know in the state and has connections with HS coaches here.

Well all of the AU coaches are known in this state, so no real advantage with Clark from that perspective.

I don't think he is caught up too much in the politics of it. He just wants to coach. He probably lays as much of the blame on the UAB people as he does the turds

Ok, then I'D be motivated for him to stick to bammer in the IB. ;D

I got inside info that says we are looking at gathering a few of his people as assistants and the wait and see on them. Want to see who's in before breaking the news to others on the current staff.

- Sources

Sounds like they're confident we have Boom?

anyone heard what the provisions in the two NFL provisional offers are?

My guess is, there are either some teams that expect to lose their DC to a head coaching job that would hire him, or he's in tight with a DC that expects to get one and would bring him in as their DC. But of course, that requires him to wait for the playoffs to end for the team or coach in question and for the expected job offer to happen for the DC in question as well.

We need to think of RIGHT NOW, in my opinion. As it stands today we are an average defense away from having 2 national championships in 4 years. And the offense was national championship level this season. It will be a great sign if WM leaves AU (if he comes at all) because it means we are most likely in the top 4. Muschamp was a failure at a place it is hard to fail at in Florida. He is not a hot commodity to be a HC at a big program again unless he has an absolutely lights out defense. And if he leaves under those circumstances I am 100% ok with that.

Muschamp would save our defensive recruiting as well. The other 2 guys probably wouldn't.

This is my thinking as well. His coaching tenure at Florida was such a disaster that other major programs will find it difficult to look past it (kind of like Chizik MINUS a national championship and Heisman trophy winner).

We need a hard nosed; no nonsense; HUNGRY professional who is interested in proving himself on a bigger stage and staying awhile...

I don't think the latter is really the top priority. Getting a guy who will help us now in recruiting and fix our defensive issues quickly is probably Gus's main concern. If we can get the defense on a significant course correction, it's fine if we only have the guy two years. We'll elevate someone on staff or find someone to continue that success after. Much easier to keep a good thing going than to reverse course of a disaster that's been going on for 6 seasons now.

Archived