Muschamp Factor

StatTiger

While Muschamp had the TITLE of Defensive coordinator, I'm not convinced yet that he was the reason our defenses were good. Our defenses were consistently good over that 10 year stretch because Tommy Tuberville was here. We had several defensive coordinators and the defense hardly changed at all from year to year. It was ALWAYS consistently good. I'm severely tempering my expectations until I actually see the improvement on the field. Oh and for those talking about Muschamps recruiting prowess, think about this, Florida's recruiting class for 2015 is ranked 71st in the country. I hope this Muschamp thing works, and I'll be the first to admit I was wrong (if I am), but I'm not a big fan of this hire at all.

He did have top-20 defenses at Texas and Florida.

And as far as recruiting for this year, he's been on the hot seat for a long time and that obviously has to be a tough sell. I'd bet several recruits have been in wait and see mode. I've never seen anyone question Boom's recruiting abilities.

While Muschamp had the TITLE of Defensive coordinator, I'm not convinced yet that he was the reason our defenses were good. Our defenses were consistently good over that 10 year stretch because Tommy Tuberville was here. We had several defensive coordinators and the defense hardly changed at all from year to year. It was ALWAYS consistently good. I'm severely tempering my expectations until I actually see the improvement on the field. Oh and for those talking about Muschamps recruiting prowess, think about this, Florida's recruiting class for 2015 is ranked 71st in the country. I hope this Muschamp thing works, and I'll be the first to admit I was wrong (if I am), but I'm not a big fan of this hire at all.

I can't understand arguing that CEJ defenses weren't that bad then arguing Booms wasn't good because of him

Auburn has 6 straight years ranked 60th or lower in total defense. Last top-25 defense: Muschamp's No. 6 unit in 2007.

How valuable is Muschamp? He had top-10 defenses in total yards in 10 of 12 years at Florida, Texas, Auburn & LSU.

@JonSolomonCBS

WT, I have been reading your posts for quite some time now and do agree with a lot of your statements and opinions. I don't know how or why you came to your concerns about Coach Boom or what they are based on but I had mentioned on a previous thread that I was sort of on the fence with Muschamp, not because of his coaching abilities but because of his tempramental behavior. I just hope that does not become a problem for our team. But in retrospect his intensity and fire just may be what our team needs. I can almost guarantee that our defense won't be any worse that it was this year, don't think it could. The Iron Bowl is what did it for me. Jonathan Mincy one on one with Amari Cooper for the whole game was absolutely insane.

I'm old enough to know nothing is for certain and I take a very realistic view on life and not through orange and blue glasses. At this moment I feel it was a good hire. I understand Coach Boom is going to be the DC for our bowl game. That should be very interesting if he indeed will coach the team against Wisconsin. Lets just see how all this plays out, nowhere to go but up. WDE!!!!

War Tim, I have a couple of questions for you. First, if not Muschamp, who else would you have wanted that is available ? I think that WM was by far the best DC available out there. In fact I believe that most experts will probably say he was the best hire of the off-season this year. Second, is there something that you can share with us that shows CWM lacks in some area other than as an HC that had no offense success ? I mean the stats easily show he is one of the best DCs in the country. You are right that Tubby had some influence while he was at AU, but look though out his career and you see success at every stop. CNS thought enough to promote him . Whether or not he works out he is a good hire. I will also say that CEJ, CGC and CTB were also good hires, but sometimes things don't work out as planned, WDE

Archived