Brandon Cox

Wishbone

I think this guy is the best QB I have ever seen at Auburn this early in his career. His poise was awesome in both practice and in games. I just thought I would post some stats on him since it has been a while since we have seen him play.

PASSING G Att- Cmp- Int Yds TD Lg Pct Avg/P

2004................ 7 34- 22- 2 357 4 39 64.7 10.5

Effic

Named the MVP of the A-Day game after completing 12-of-13 passes for 206 yards and two touchdowns ... Came out of the spring drills as the backup at quarterback.

As a high school senior, completed 233-of-329 passes (70.8%) for 2,887 yards and 27 touchdowns ... Completion percentage of 70.8 was a Class 6A state record

I know that Borges has spoken highly of Cox but I'm not ready to crown him just yet.

His QB rating against SEC teams was 98.9.

I'm concerned about his ability to read defenses. Campbell did a wonderful job this past season. JC checked us into the better play the majority of the time, which didn't always show up in his passing stats.

Check out some other AU QB numbers before they became starters...

Burger: 28-50-1-345yds-3tds / 129.8 rating

Slack: 30-52-2-471yds-3tds / 145.1

Nix: 16-24-0-177yds-3tds / 169.9

Craig: 42-69-1-453yds-5tds / 137.0

I hope he is a fast learner. I'm pretty sure he can be a great qb with time, the question is , how much time? I'm sure it helped alot being able to watch jc do his thing this year.

Let us hope Borges teaches him a read sequence with keys.

My main reservation is that I think of him as a fragile egg shell, due to his past health problems. He may have put them all behind him and beefed up.

Also wish he were a little taller. I know that there have been really good QBs that were not all that tall, but there have been many good ones that were (Jason, Peyton, e.g.)

He does seem to be heady and accurate. Don't know much about his command/leadership style.

I'm sure it helped alot being able to watch jc do his thing this year.

132519[/snapback]

Coach Borges said that Cox did benefit from watching Campbell run the offense this season.

He should be fine.

He got what he needed, some clean up work to get his feet wet.

If need be, Borges will adjust some things around Cox.

Whether it makes a difference, Cox will play his first five games at home before hitting the road.

Cox will indeed be fine....look at our recieving corps. I could out, be our next qb and still produce with the recievers we have. They alone should make cox look atleast half-way decent.

but at the same time, i believe he'll do a great job

Archived