Why the offense and the defense will be better next year.

DivisionN

Usually the term dual threat automatically puts in a person's mind that a qb is limited in a certain type of offense when they're not

...and to take it a step further, Nick & JJ are both considered "dual threat" but I don't think anybody would consider them the same type QB. I think dual threat simply means that a QB can run without looking like he's carrying a piano on his back and throw like....well.....a quarterback.

Actually, JJ, White, and Queen were all listed as "pro style" QBs during recruitment. Nick was the only dual threat QB on the roster.

PLEASE NOTE I am not, I repeat NOT saying that JJ, White, or Queen cannot hurt a defense with their legs.

I was merely talking about recruitment classifications.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Usually the term dual threat automatically puts in a person's mind that a qb is limited in a certain type of offense when they're not

That is why ALL of the recruitment services have different categories for the two. Because they are the same. Seems legit.

I am not saying the kid CAN'T succeed, but all one needs to do is look to 2012 with our former HC forcing a pro style offense on a team recruited to run the spread to see not only is there a difference, but a big one.

...and to take it a step further, Nick & JJ are both considered "dual threat" but I don't think anybody would consider them the same type QB. I think dual threat simply means that a QB can run without looking like he's carrying a piano on his back and throw like....well.....a quarterback.

Actually, JJ, White, and Queen were all listed as "pro style" QBs during recruitment. Nick was the only dual threat QB on the roster.

PLEASE NOTE I am not, I repeat NOT saying that JJ, White, or Queen cannot hurt a defense with their legs.

I'd like to know what JJ does in the 40.

No idea. But it doesn't really matter. Thats not his strong point. He has an NFL arm, and Gus knows this. He has said it many times. I think our offense will look more like his Tulsa offenses than our 2010 or 2013 offenses.

Has anyone looked at Mis. St. Depth chart. Even if Dak comes back they are losing over half the team. If bama's off. is going to be any good next year it will be with a freshman qb. not a good sign. I think Saban/Kiffin will emplode this year.

If bama is looking for a new QB, I think UF just released Driskell. jk

That is why ALL of the recruitment services have different categories for the two. Because they are the same. Seems legit.

I am not saying the kid CAN'T succeed, but all one needs to do is look to 2012 with our former HC forcing a pro style offense on a team recruited to run the spread to see not only is there a difference, but a big one.

Lol you're a funny dude, you mean the same qb that didn't fit the spread either? Like I said if you have a decent arm and you're accurate you can run any offense. Your example he wasn't all that accurate, so no we wasn't successful but you can look at a player like Russell Wilson who was just fine in any offense. People just like to take it and run with it though

I believe the defense will be better only because it cant get worse. Not sure how good it will be based on personnel, but because of change of staff, should be better.

Offense should be comparable to what Gus has done in years past.

ST needs to improve in all areas.

AU will have to beat three teams in the west that I believe will have better teams than the ones that we played this year (lsu, aTm and Ark.). If Dak comes back, MS. ST will be tough again, ole miss may not be as good next year, but Bama will be the team to beat in the west again.

uat will not be in the top 3 in the West. Sorry to burst your little dark pink bubble. :-)

As many times as we as a fan base say this, its rarely ever true. 2010 was a massive anomaly where Arkansas, Auburn, and LSU were all elite teams. I'm not sure that's ever occurred since 1992.

Arkansas is still not gonna have an elite passing game or even good, and I believe one of their RBs are leaving

LSU isn't gonna have their best DC in history

Auburn is gonna be missing most of their offensive production and will be implementing a new defense for the second time since 2012.

TAMU will also be implementing another defense and although they'll have a great offense, this once again depends on defense

Alabama is the safest pick once again to win the West, and with the most talented team (again) all they really need to do is replace Coop, White, and Sims. The QB part is a bit more difficult, especially for UA, but they just keep on flowing with amazing receivers.

Fair enough. I still think they slide. JMHO

Lol you're a funny dude, you mean the same qb that didn't fit the spread either? Like I said if you have a decent arm and you're accurate you can run any offense. Your example he wasn't all that accurate, so no we wasn't successful but you can look at a player like Russell Wilson who was just fine in any offense. People just like to take it and run with it though

You are correct. Nevertheless, during the recruiting process there are pro style and dual threat QBs. There must be some reason to have the separate categories.

Just like RB and APB there MUST be some sort of qualifying baseline to determine what category a given recruit will be placed in. Otherwise, as I've been asking, why have the categories if they are meaningless

Wait a second...bama only has to replace Cooper, Sims and White.

What about the other 14 guys who are listed on the NFL draft prospects list, 11 of whom are expected to be drafted.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2015/all

Not saying things are going to get a lot better but they have a lot of solid players to replace including 11 from their offense.

BUT as noted by someone above, the real issue is QB. Sims came out of nowhere when they were touting the FSU transfer as a Heisman candidate.

You are correct. Nevertheless, during the recruiting process there are pro style and dual threat QBs. There must be some reason to have the separate categories.

Just like RB and APB there MUST be some sort of qualifying baseline to determine what category a given recruit will be placed in. Otherwise, as I've been asking, why have the categories if they are meaningless

Who knows? But speaking of RB there were MANY people saying Tre mason was a spread hb he wasn't a pro hb and he couldn't carry the ball an entire game....look where he's at now....

Who knows? But speaking of RB there were MANY people saying Tre mason was a spread hb he wasn't a pro hb and he couldn't carry the ball an entire game....look where he's at now....

That was a foolish assessment and lazy to boot. Anyone who watched him could tell he had what it took to play in the NFL. He has size good speed. He can get the tough yards between the tackles or bounce it outside for a nice gain. He doesn't have breakaway speed but he isn't alone in that among NFL running backs.

That was a foolish assessment and lazy to boot. Anyone who watched him could tell he had what it took to play in the NFL. He has size good speed. He can get the tough yards between the tackles or bounce it outside for a nice gain. He doesn't have breakaway speed but he isn't alone in that among NFL running backs.

Playing RB in the NFL is a matter of survival....playing life of NFL RBs is less than five seasons....Tre has the quickness and the right build to handle the pounding. And there are not many break away backs up there any more...primarily just guys who pound out 4 or 5 yards between the tackles and get away for a big run every now and then.

No idea. But it doesn't really matter. Thats not his strong point. He has an NFL arm, and Gus knows this. He has said it many times. I think our offense will look more like his Tulsa offenses than our 2010 or 2013 offenses.

I know it doesn't matter and it's not his strong point. I'd just like to know haha.

Run, I imagine. :cool:

4.86 average

4.86 average

That's OK.....IMO all he has to be able to do is make it 5 yards or so behind Kozan, Young and Smith on occasion...we got other people to do the long range stuff.

You wouldn't play wing on a talent rich basketball team if you couldn't move. And if you're explosive enough to dunk the way he can you have to be able to move around pretty good as well

Archived