Why the offense and the defense will be better next year.

DivisionN

I see no way Arkansas is better than Bama next year. They'll be good but let's be a little more realistic. A&M will be really good. Mississippi State will still be tough. Bama won't be elite but they're not dropping to 4th in the division. I'd love to see it but based on recent events it's not likely. I legitimately see us as the most equipped team to win the West right now.

Honestly?

We have to replace one of the best statistical QBs in Auburn history

Our 1st 2 RBs, one of which just lead the SEC in rushing

The Remington winning center

A late 1st early 2nd round Jr WR in Coates, a definite playmaker in Quan Bray

Both Fulse AND Uzomah

And thats JUST the offensive side of the ball...

I know Fulse loved AU but I'm ok having him replaced if we can find someone that will at least stand in front of someone with the opposite colored jersey. I cannt count the number of times he stood there and looked around while defenders ran by him.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CGM has some work to do this offseason, This is probably his most important offseason in his career to this point. He's got to find the players to put in along the offensive front that can block and act as a single unit. He has to find a complimentary receiver to Duke. He has to get the H-back situation taken care of and, while it seems to not be difficult, find the replacement for CAP. He's got to make sure there are no more off field issues either. We all know how the defense just came apart after JW had his run in with one of the coaches. If it is true what some have suggested that Cheese let that become personal then it's good that we have new blood in the coaching staff. Need to close strong with the recruiting class, especially on the defensive side of the ball. WM and the entire defensive staff have got to get after it once the dead period ends. Lots of work to do on top of the things that come with every offseason.

I think that we will be fine next year, the name of the game in college football is replacing the talent you lose. No way to avoid losing talent just have to find the right person to fill the gap and I have full confidence that we have the right coaches to do just that. I think that the SEC West will be more competitive next season than it was this season, unfortunately. I think that Ole Miss will fall back into irrelevancy and that Arkansas will be a much stronger team.

Ole Miss will still be relevant. Still a very talented football team. And please know when I say relevant, I mean likely to upset anyone at any given time, but not in actual contention for the West late in the season. I agree Arkansas will be much improved. Frankly, I think it will be much like this season. I don't forsee an SEC team going undefeated, and several teams will be in contention.

I see no way Arkansas is better than Bama next year. They'll be good but let's be a little more realistic. A&M will be really good. Mississippi State will still be tough. Bama won't be elite but they're not dropping to 4th in the division. I'd love to see it but based on recent events it's not likely. I legitimately see us as the most equipped team to win the West right now.

Honestly?

Both Fulse AND Uzomah

You bring about good points, but I think you need to look at the overall package. Our O line did not block consistently well this season. I think that will improve next season even with the holes that need to be filled. Golson stands to be quite the savior on the O line, and I look for a battle to happen for playing time in the backfield between Roc and Jovon with Kerryon pushing himself in as well. The jury is out on Barbour, and he will have something to prove given his limited role this year. I look for Melvin Ray to become a thermonuclear deep ball threat making us ask; "Sammie who?" (No offense to Sammie).

All is not lost on the offense next season, and by all means I believe we'll be having a QB battle between two highly talented kids, at least.

Defense? There will be improvements.

Anyone else read that OA article talking discipline? That's a little concerning.

The competition next year? Ole Miss is the only team in the West that is incapable of a 10 win season unless they have a QB I'm not aware of. ATM is going to a nightmare, UAT is uat, and Arky will win their share. LSU is the question mark.

We could very well find ourselves in the cellar again if current trends aren't stopped, btw.

You think after losing the QB of the line and Kozan to a possibly career ending injury, the line will magically gel and become a cohesive unit? Maybe, but I just dont know.

Also, ROC is NOT an every down back and wont be until his JR season at the earliest. He is just FAAAAAAAAAAR TOOOOOOOO small. Our other RBs, while they all have worlds of potential, are unproven. Same can be said of WRs other than Duke, Ricardo, Davis, and Melvin Ray.

Roc may not be an every down back, but Robinson likely is. I believe Dismuke's role will be filled by the third game, but have same concern as you about Kozan.

Ole Miss will still be relevant. Still a very talented football team. And please know when I say relevant, I mean likely to upset anyone at any given time, but not in actual contention for the West late in the season. I agree Arkansas will be much improved. Frankly, I think it will be much like this season. I don't forsee an SEC team going undefeated, and several teams will be in contention.

I think that every team in the SEC west is capable of upsetting anyone at any given time, I just don't think that Ole Miss will be breaking into the top 5 again. But it is college football and you never know.

I think that every team in the SEC west is capable of upsetting anyone at any given time, I just don't think that Ole Miss will be breaking into the top 5 again. But it is college football and you never know.

Right, I think you and I just disagree over what is relevant and what is not. In my opinion there are no irrelevant teams in the West and will be none next year. I would consider Vanderbilt to be irrelevant. I expect Ole Miss to be a ranked team next year.

I guess you mean relevant to the playoff discussion, or SEC championship discussion. In that case you I agree with you. I guess I more meant that I expect Ole Miss to be a real threat to anyone they play as opposed to years passed when they were overlooked.

Frankly, I think it will be much like this season. I don't forsee an SEC team going undefeated, and several teams will be in contention.

This!

bama will be bama

The MS schools will be pretty good

LSU is still Very talented

Arky looks like they are gonna be good!

AU and A&M are gonna be good on O and both appear to be serious about learning how to play D too.

The Wild Wild West should be Wide Open!

uat is headed backwards..........JMHO.......3-2-1- bash away! :-\

Personally, as much as I hate them, I wouldn't say uat is heading backwards. With all the moolah they spend on 5* prospects and the warm protection provided by their NCAA cronies, there's no reason to think they won't be able to maintain their play until Saban or Emmerich is gone. However, with that being said, it may SEEM like they're moving backwards with the probable defensive improvements being made by aTm and Auburn. As long as LSU gets a quality DC replacement, uat simply has better and better competition. No bashing...just my opinion.

Personally, as much as I hate them, I wouldn't say uat is heading backwards. With all the moolah they spend on 5* prospects and the warm protection provided by their NCAA cronies, there's no reason to think they won't be able to maintain their play until Saban or Emmerich is gone. However, with that being said, it may SEEM like they're moving backwards with the probable defensive improvements being made by aTm and Auburn. As long as LSU gets a quality DC replacement, uat simply has better and better competition. No bashing...just my opinion.

They get talent but I've seen a few cracks, if you will, in the wall. That defense isn't near as stout as it once was. The offense, I don't think, can repeat the performance of this year without Sims and Cooper.

No bashing, but I do believe they might take a step back next year. I'm curious to see how their QB situation will pan out, as well as their back field and wide receiver core. Getting Drake back will be of help I am sure. Defense will be solid as usual. Personally I thought they would be a 2 loss regular season team this year, which they were close to being, but I was surprised. So, you never know.

They get talent but I've seen a few cracks, if you will, in the wall. That defense isn't near as stout as it once was. The offense, I don't think, can repeat the performance of this year without Sims and Cooper.

I read ya' and though I won't argue with you, I guess my position comes from the fact that this past year, I thought they would regress.......however, they handled their business until "round 1", beating AU in the process, so I have taken that position of "until I see it".... Trust me though. On this subject I would LOOOOVE to be proven wrong and wouldn't complain one bit!

I read ya' and though I won't argue with you, I guess my position comes from the fact that this past year, I thought they would regress.......however, they handled their business until "round 1", beating AU in the process, so I have taken that position of "until I see it".... Trust me though. On this subject I would LOOOOVE to be proven wrong and wouldn't complain one bit!

They'll still be plenty tough. They won't suddenly fall off the face of the earth. They just won't be the juggernaut they have been. Other west teams have made strides forward. They got extremely lucky two or three times this year.

Alabama won't truly regress unless Saban retires.

agreed 100%

edit: or if he waits too long to retire.

That could be the case as well. It does seem like he is struggling to keep up with the changing of offenses especially with the HUNH.

Honestly?

Both Fulse AND Uzomah

You bring about good points, but I think you need to look at the overall package. Our O line did not block consistently well this season. I think that will improve next season even with the holes that need to be filled. Golson stands to be quite the savior on the O line, and I look for a battle to happen for playing time in the backfield between Roc and Jovon with Kerryon pushing himself in as well. The jury is out on Barbour, and he will have something to prove given his limited role this year. I look for Melvin Ray to become a thermonuclear deep ball threat making us ask; "Sammie who?" (No offense to Sammie).

All is not lost on the offense next season, and by all means I believe we'll be having a QB battle between two highly talented kids, at least.

Defense? There will be improvements.

Anyone else read that OA article talking discipline? That's a little concerning.

The competition next year? Ole Miss is the only team in the West that is incapable of a 10 win season unless they have a QB I'm not aware of. ATM is going to a nightmare, UAT is uat, and Arky will win their share. LSU is the question mark.

We could very well find ourselves in the cellar again if current trends aren't stopped, btw.

You think after losing the QB of the line and Kozan to a possibly career ending injury, the line will magically gel and become a cohesive unit? Maybe, but I just dont know.

Also, ROC is NOT an every down back and wont be until his JR season at the earliest. He is just FAAAAAAAAAAR TOOOOOOOO small. Our other RBs, while they all have worlds of potential, are unproven. Same can be said of WRs other than Duke, Ricardo, Davis, and Melvin Ray.

Does make one wonder how a bunch of guys who did not play all that much are going to be better than the guys who pretty much started the last two years.

But we can hope can't we. There is some good talent no doubt...but AU always seems to have some problems with that illusive characteristic called "chemistry".

As noted, CGM has his work cut out...expectations are going to be high now that the defensive problems have been solved.

uat caught "lightening in a bottle" this year with Blake Sims. Without him and cooper..........Time will tell........

Some of these guys are very talented and maybe more so than players that played this year. Experience is a huge factor. A full offseason in the S&C program will pay enormously. As for Kozan, he's right on track with his rehab and actually seems to be ahead to some degree. I expect he'll be ready to go by the time fall practice starts. Could even make it back for spring practice.

uat caught "lightening in a bottle" this year with Blake Sims. Without him and cooper..........Time will tell........

"Lightning in a bottle"? Time has told. They have had 10-win seasons, at least 1 week at #1 and top-5 (usually #1) recruiting classes almost every season that Saban has been there.

I'll give it to ya, WarTim. You do not stray off course. WDE

uat averages about five 5* recruits each and every recruiting season right now. The rest of the relevant college football world not named FSU averages about one, maybe two, 5* recruits every season. That means that, just at a rough average, uat is lining up about 15 five star players to their opponents maybe 5 five star players. They will remain near the top until someone stops them from openly buying recruits, and stops them from "firing" not productive players in order to clear up room to over sign. This is college football. Having two to three times as many star players on your team as your opponent makes it really hard to lose football games.

"Lightning in a bottle"? Time has told. They have had 10-win seasons, at least 1 week at #1 and top-5 (usually #1) recruiting classes almost every season that Saban has been there.

We don't want to acknowledge bama's success too much...make us look weak.....and speaking of weakness...or perceived weakness, could it be that bama's defense is it's future Achilles heel?

We don't want to acknowledge bama's success too much...make us look weak.....and speaking of weakness...or perceived weakness, could it be that bama's defense is it's future Achilles heel?

I think it will be Saban's stubbornness to evolve with the game that will be their Achilles heel.

Sims was not even on the radar going into Spring ball. They felt they had found their savior in f$u Coker. Now, we will see if they have an SEC caliber qb.

Archived