Who Got Ice and who got Ice!

doc4aday

I hope the mods will let this ride a bit before moving it to the nether world of obscure but highly useful information....

Sitting 3050 feet above sea-level in the Western North Carolina mountains, we got slammed with 4 inches of solid sleet. This was and is one of the most interesting weather phenomenon I have seen in my 178 years on this dear planet. For weather like this, one needs chains for his shoes. Yax-Tracks work wonders with getting around on ice. It will go at least 5-10 degrees below zero where I reside come Wednesday & Thursday evenings.

Does anyone out there have any ice stories to share before the mods move me elsewhere?

Had lots of ice down here in Winter Park, Fl. it was melting in my drink...............cause its 80 degrees

Oh no, Global Warming in Winter Park Fl. What will we do?

I hope the mods will let this ride a bit before moving it to the nether world of obscure but highly useful information....

Sitting 3050 feet above sea-level in the Western North Carolina mountains, we got slammed with 4 inches of solid sleet. This was and is one of the most interesting weather phenomenon I have seen in my 178 years on this dear planet. For weather like this, one needs chains for his shoes. Yax-Tracks work wonders with getting around on ice. It will go at least 5-10 degrees below zero where I reside come Wednesday & Thursday evenings.

Does anyone out there have any ice stories to share before the mods move me elsewhere?

That ice stretched all the way to Greenville NC - we had about 3/4inches, more in places (like my back deck that I assaulted with my kiester this morning). Think about it, that's a 400 mile swath of freezer.

And tonight? It's supposed to drop to 1. 1 degree. I realize that the state's got "north" in the name, but this is kinda silly.

178 years is a long time to see a lot of crazy weather situations. Whatever it is, keep it up! Obviously you have found the fountain of youth,

Well here in Williamsburg we got about 5"- 6"s of snow and the roads turned to ice overnight. The wind gusts were the worst thing with the chill factor but we are staying all warm and toasty in the house. We are throwing out peanuts and bread for the squirrels, birds and raccoons so they have some food.

Well here in Williamsburg we got about 5"- 6"s of snow and the roads turned to ice overnight. The wind gusts were the worst thing with the chill factor but we are staying all warm and toasty in the house. We are throwing out peanuts and bread for the squirrels, birds and raccoons so they have some food.

Forget the nuts put some beers out there

178 years is a long time to see a lot of crazy weather situations. Whatever it is, keep it up! Obviously you have found the fountain of youth,

Seriously. doc4aday, can you confirm the origin of the War Eagle story?

Well my fellow Auburn Warriors, It is a balmy 4 degrees outside my back door. I expect for it to fall to -7 below the big fat zero threshold. We have a total of 5 inches of mostly sleet ice topped off with a dusting of 1/2 inch of snow that fell this afternoon.

I managed to make a path from my basement door down our steep 50 feet of driveway to my Honda Pilot parked at the end of the driveway. I figured out a solution to this problem. I took 8 cups of ice melt (salt melt)and mixed it into 4 gallons of scalding hot water and poured it down the driveway. It took 7 salt/ice combos with the hot water, to clear a path about 3 feet wide and 50 feet long. I now have a swath of dry pavement all the way from my basement door to the SUV. We now can safely make it to the vehicle to go into town tomorrow and get some much needed supplies and medicine. I love winter and nice snowfalls, but not so much sleet falls!

1986 living in NC at the time. We had 5 inches of SLEET. I used by golf shoes (spikes) to get outside and bring in fire wood. Fun stuff!!

Well folks, a lot has happened in 178 years of which has seen tons of snow and bad weather from Canada to El Paso TX. It actually snows in El Paso every so often. I remember a Sun Bowl many years ago that had snow in the area. My secret to good health and longevity is to eat a box of Oreo Cookies every other day. Wash it down with Coke and you are set. We all know about Yen & Yang and balance. The day after you eat the cookies, you must walk 4.75 miles to burn off the calories. Anyhow, it is a cozy 8 degrees outside and probably going to make it down to -4 or worse. To put icing on the cake, we are supposed to have a few inches of snow come Friday night through Saturday!

I just talked to a good friend who lives in Floral City, Florida and was told that it got down to 33 degrees last night. I had the pleasure to let him know that it made it down to -2 degrees last night. It made it up to a balmy 24 degrees today. Well my good Auburn friends, we are in for 1-3 inches of snow, sleet, and ice starting around midnight. Today was the first day we have been able to go anywhere since last Saturday!

I am going to build a sleet man tomorrow!

Northern Greenville Co., SC here.

We had about an inch of sleet followed by freezing rain. But it's largely melted except for northern exposures. While it's cold, it's nothing like the western NC mtns, just to our north.

I hiked the 0.3 miles down the mountain to get the mail and fell while traversing the last 100 fit or so which was solid ice. Crampons would have been useful.

We are supposed to get more tonight.

I thought squirrels, birds and raccoons WERE food. :Sing:

The ground is fully covered here in Athens Al. Not sure how deep but there are tons of wrecks in limestone county. I have only worked 12 hours this week. They sent us home Monday due to wet roads and falling temps early I managed a full day Tuesday then sick 2days. Was going in tonight but they cancelled production. It's bad when Toyota cancels a shift. I think it warms up tomorrow afternoon.

We had about an inch of sleet followed by freezing rain. But it's largely melted except for northern exposures. While it's cold, it's nothing like the western NC mtns, just to our north.

I hiked the 0.3 miles down the mountain to get the mail and fell while traversing the last 100 fit or so which was solid ice. Crampons would have been useful.

60 degrees in Winter Park. Damn freezing my ass off

60 degrees in Winter Park. Damn freezing my ass off

Oh cry me a river :Sing::moon:

Archived