Running Back U

quietfan

Ya know, it's weird -- I still think of a few teams in the SEC as being more productive at running back than us: Bama, Arkansas, LSU. I think some of it comes down to the type of offense that is run. How many times have we seen Bama or LSU sit on a lead and grind out 3rd and 4th quarters on the ground? That burns the image of unstoppable run production into one's mind, whereas at Auburn Gus's offense is always dynamic enough that I dont really think about an RB carrying the load like at some other schools (even in 2013, when we ran like 80% of the time).

So... Who do you pull for?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel like any person saying that about Bama can't be more than 15. Alabama more productive at running back? Child, please.

I'm just saying -- Bama is much less dynamic on offense, and in the Saban era I've watched them play countless games in which they run it every single play for the entire second half. Same with LSU and Arkansas to some extent. Whereas Gus's system is so multi-dimensional that it doesn't leave that impression (for me, at least).

To put it another way, there are two ice cream shops: one sells chocolate, one sells 31 flavors. If someone asks me where to get good ice cream, Id take them to the 31 flavor store, but if someone asks where to get chocolate ice cream, I'd probably take them to the chocolate ice cream store.

I feel like any person saying that about Bama can't be more than 15. Alabama more productive at running back? Child, please.

Or maybe I'm just talking about recent history...

And I didnt say Alabama is "more productive".

What recent history? For every Mark Ingram, we have a Ben Tate. For every TJ Yeldon, we have a Tre Mason. For every Trent Richardson, we have a Mike Dyer. In recent history, you're confusing team success with quality at the tailback position. The programs are relatively level in recent years. Our guys have generally been more productive. Their guys have been (erroneously) drafted higher. Just because they look more traditional doesn't make the run game or the running backs better.

The RBU Stuff is interesting but the below summary comment in the following paragraph was somewhat of a slap in the face eye opener. I've heard similar, but this was slap in the face simple. Let's hope CWM can wipe this trend off the map in the next year or two.

4 Losses when scoring at least 30 points for Auburn in its past 14 games, equaling the number of losses when scoring 30 or more points that the Tigers had accumulated in school history heading into the final game of the 2013 season.

...but as for the RBU thing "Auburn has produced twice as many SEC rushing leaders as any other team."....nuff said.

Does anyone remember the end of the 1st half of the ironbowl 2013where we were up against the clock and at least 60 yards away (I am choosing to do no research) and we only ran the ball. I thought it was crazy, turns out crazy successful. One of the most dominate drives I have ever seen. Just imposing our will on a good D by running the ball (the strength of bama). We do more with our RB than bama.

I'm just saying -- Bama is much less dynamic on offense, and in the Saban era I've watched them play countless games in which they run it every single play for the entire second half.

Wow.. Really? Ok...Since you are so sure of yourself, it shouldn't be that hard for you to prove it. So, we'll wait while you get that together...

]Same with LSU and Arkansas[/b] to some extent. Whereas Gus's system is so multi-dimensional that it doesn't leave that impression (for me, at least).

Wow..again? ok..prove that too..

Or you're just delusional....

I'm just saying -- Bama is much less dynamic on offense, and in the Saban era I've watched them play countless games in which they run it every single play for the entire second half. Same with LSU and Arkansas to some extent. Whereas Gus's system is so multi-dimensional that it doesn't leave that impression (for me, at least).

To put it another way, there are two ice cream shops: one sells chocolate, one sells 31 flavors. If someone asks me where to get good ice cream, Id take them to the 31 flavor store, but if someone asks where to get chocolate ice cream, I'd probably take them to the chocolate ice cream store.

c6a45610bbb1db47858841895fd78be1.jpg

I'm just saying -- Bama is much less dynamic on offense, and in the Saban era I've watched them play countless games in which they run it every single play for the entire second half.

Wow.. Really? Ok...Since you are so sure of yourself, it shouldn't be that hard for you to prove it. So, we'll wait while you get that together...

]Same with LSU and Arkansas[/b] to some extent. Whereas Gus's system is so multi-dimensional that it doesn't leave that impression (for me, at least).

You're ridiculous. All i'm saying is that I was surprised by these stats posted by the OP, and then offered my perspective. I'm talking about PERCEPTION. I'm not trying to "prove" anything.

You must be a thrill at parties...

Me: "This party is more fun than I thought it would be."

You: "Oh yeah? Prove it."

Edit: Anyway, here are a couple links that demonstrate that I am not alone in perceiving that the 3 teams I mentioned are in the same general boat as us in RB productivity:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000362401/article/what-school-is-rb-u-miami-among-teams-that-can-make-claim

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=sec&id=84311&src=desktop&rand=ref~%7B%22ref%22%3A%22https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F%22%7D

You think the "perception" is that Bama runs it MORE than Auburn? Did you see the 2013 team play? I'm asking seriously. We had games where we threw it 10-15 times the entire game. The second half of the season, we ran the ball over 70% of the time. In recent history (say 30 years), Bama's never come close to that over a stretch that long.

You think the "perception" is that Bama runs it MORE than Auburn? Did you see the 2013 team play? I'm asking seriously. We had games where we threw it 10-15 times the entire game. The second half of the season, we ran the ball over 70% of the time. In recent history (say 30 years), Bama's never come close to that over a stretch that long.

You are quoting factual statements vs a perceptional argument.

good job though.

No. I'm asking whether he saw 2013. I'm saying it's hard for me to understand how anyone that watched that team play could "perceive" or "feel" or "intuit" that Alabama or LSU ran the ball more than Auburn. Georgia Tech? Maybe. Air Force? Maybe. Alabama? In AJ McCarron's senior season? I don't understand that perception. When 3 of every 4 plays is a running play, how did Auburn "feel" less run-dependent?

No. I'm asking whether he saw 2013. I'm saying it's hard for me to understand how anyone that watched that team play could "perceive" or "feel" or "intuit" that Alabama or LSU ran the ball more than Auburn. Georgia Tech? Maybe. Air Force? Maybe. Alabama? In AJ McCarron's senior season? I don't understand that perception. When 3 of every 4 plays is a running play, how did Auburn "feel" less run-dependent?

It's all about feelings these days....forget the facts....not relevant....it's all about perception and feelings .... no use trying to be logical.

It's all about feelings these days....forget the facts....not relevant....it's all about perception and feelings .... no use trying to be logical.

Ha, are you serious? All I was doing was stating my surprise at the facts posted by the OP, and then, for the sake of qualifying my comment, I described my perception. I wasn't arguing the facts, or being antagonistic toward any school.

You can act like I was way off base, but I posted two links from objective sources that demonstrate that I'm not the only one who considers Arkansas, LSU, and Alabama to have roughly as productive as us at RB in recent years. But I guess, as you say, there's "no use trying to be logical" ...

Ha, are you serious? All I was doing was stating my surprise at the facts posted by the OP, and then, for the sake of qualifying my comment, I described my perception. I wasn't arguing the facts, or being antagonistic toward any school.

You can act like I was way off base, but I posted two links from objective sources that demonstrate that I'm not the only one who considers Arkansas, LSU, and Alabama to have roughly as productive as us at RB in recent years. But I guess, as you say, there's "no use trying to be logical" ...

I understand where msza's coming from. Let's face it, Bama racked up 5 MNCs with rushing-first offences and "tradesmen" type QBs.

Auburn maybe has had more star RB's than Bama - remember having Bo and Little Train on the field at the same time? Perhaps Bama has put more emphasis on the OL? But it's hard to say we are just a naturally better rushing team.

It would be interesting to compare Auburn's total yds and yds/rush for each of the last 20 years with Bama.

But thanks for that statistic quietfan. :hellyeah: I wasn't aware of that.

Man, can you imagine a 5 minute video on AU running backs to show recruits? You could blow them away!

Man, can you imagine a 5 minute video on AU running backs to show recruits? You could blow them away!

Five minutes might be enough to show each back making one run. CAP, Mason, (Dyer if you include him), McCaleb, Tate, Irons, Brown, Williams, Cribbs, James, Andrews Fullwood, Bo, Henley, Lester, Joseph, Danley, Davis, Bostic Agee. Those are just some of the ones of the top of the list from current to the 1970's. I am sure I missed a few standouts. From earlier we have T. Fredriickson, Kuykendahl who ran for 307 yards in 1944 against Miami, Fob James and Jimmy Sidel. I am sure I missed some great ones

I would concede it's been a rough draw in very recent years (say 2009-2014). My point is, that's where the draw ends. Shaun Alexander was great. Bobby Humphrey was great. The next best Bama back from 1980 to 2009 is... Siran Stacy? Dennis Riddle? Shaud Williams?

In that same stretch, Auburn posted James Brooks, Joe Cribbs, Bo Jackson, Brent Fullwood, James Joseph, Stacy Danley, James Bostic, Stephen Davis, Rudi Johnson, Cadillac Williams, Ronnie Brown, and Kenny Irons.

That's why I made the crack about being young. I think the only way a person could believe that Auburn and Alabama are equivalent at that position is by focusing on the last six years. They've had a mega-run: Ingram, Richardson, Lacy, Yeldon. That's a great progression. No doubt about it. It's just funny to me that even in the golden age of Alabama running backs, they are, at best, only slightly better than Auburn over the same stretch: Tate, Dyer, Mason, Artis-Payne. In reality, it's more like break even, but I could understand some feelings-ball, saying Bama "feels" like they're better (since Ingram ridiculously won the Heisman). Their guys are getting over-drafted. Ingram hasn't been good. Richardson has been a disaster. Lacy has been very good when healthy. In terms of meeting or exceeding draft position value, they're 1 for 3.

Five minutes might be enough to show each back making one run. CAP, Mason, (Dyer if you include him), McCaleb, Tate, Irons, Brown, Williams, Cribbs, James, Andrews Fullwood, Bo, Henley, Lester, Joseph, Danley, Davis, Bostic Agee. Those are just some of the ones of the top of the list from current to the 1970's. I am sure I missed a few standouts. From earlier we have T. Fredriickson, Kuykendahl who ran for 307 yards in 1944 against Miami, Fob James and Jimmy Sidel. I am sure I missed some great ones

OK, make it 20. ;D

However, in the modern era Bama has had 2 RBs that were Heisman finalists and we have only had 1. Just trying to objectively assess this RBU situation. But as mcgufcm stated, they have not been on AU's level prior to that though.

Lol @ Shaud Williams

Running backs aren't the football darlings that they used to be. 15 to 20 years ago, NFL teams traded for and drafted feature backs at premium prices and with multi-year contracts. Now it seems that they have been marginalized due to durability and the evolution of the passing game. A lot of NFL teams have adopted the strategy of 1 to 2 year deals on disposable backs due t othe wear and tear that they experience during a season.

In the 80's alone, 6 backs won the heisman out of 10 awarded. In the last 24 years, from 1990 to present, there have been only 5 RB's that won the heisman.

RB's are still more thoroughly utilized in the college game, but one must be an absolute stand out or have a lot of media clout behind them to be a Heisman finalist these days.

You're ridiculous. All i'm saying is that I was surprised by these stats posted by the OP, and then offered my perspective. I'm talking about PERCEPTION. I'm not trying to "prove" anything.

NO you didn't. You made an absolute statement that you are passing off as fact. This is what you said: "I've watched them play countless games in which they run it every single play for the entire second half.".

Since you were so sure of yourself, I asked you to prove the statement. Since you passed it off as fact it shouldn't be that hard for you. Saban has been at uat for 8 years so hopefully it won't take you long to do the research and get back to us. So, either admit you pulled it out of your rear-end or prove it.

You must be a thrill at parties...

Me: "This party is more fun than I thought it would be."

You: "Oh yeah? Prove it." This is what's called an OPINION. Apparently that 8th grad English course didn't work out to well for you. Dictionary.com may help you. Look up Fact, Opinion, Perception and Reality.

Edit: Anyway, here are a couple links that demonstrate that I am not alone in perceiving that the 3 teams I mentioned are in the same general boat as us in RB productivity:

http://www.nfl.com/n...-can-make-claim

http://m.espn.go.com...w.google.com/"}

Perception is totally different from making an absolute statement. You made an absolute statement.

Yes, I'm great fun at parties...thanks for your concern.

I am always amazed at how quickly a thread can get contentious in the Football forum. You have to be as careful here as you do in the Political Forum. ;D/>

Oh yeah, Prove it!

I am always amazed at how quickly a thread can get contentious in the Football forum. You have to be as careful here as you do in the Political Forum. ;D/>

Oh yeah, Prove it!

:bow:

Archived