Rudi, Ronnie or Carnell?

vtalum04

I went to HS with Rudi Johnson and followed his carreer, while short, when he was at Auburn. For those of you who have seen all three backs, which of the 3 is the best college back to play at AU? Also, why do a majority of AU fans seem to think that LSU beat us last year? We havent played them since 2002 and we beat them. I think the sugar bowl is going to be a great game and think it will be one of the better games of the bowl season. Both defenses have played great all season and both offenses seem to be really clicking lately.

I love Ronnie. too, but in a tight spot, I think I just might mave to go with Carnell. What sealed the deal for me was that WICKED move he made around the left edge in the SEC Championship game.

LOL Sorry vt but rudy aint even in the league with these guys

133603[/snapback]

... come on tiger1432, rudi is a starter in the nfl.

... based on 4th quarter performance alone i think rudi might have been the best of the 3, but they are all good and you couldn't go wrong by making a case for any of them. i've alway been kinda of partial to a 5'10" - 5'11" back that weighs 235 like rudi, he kinda reminded me of brent fullwood who was aslo a great auburn back.

Of all the great running backs we have had at AU, only one of them stands head and shoulders above the rest and could easily be called "the best." We all know who that is.

Rudi, Carnell and Ronnie are all great backs...flip a coin for which one might be the best of the 3.

Rudi got a ton of carries during his one year on the plains. He's durable and tough.

I think if Ronnie Brown got the same number of carries, he'd have gotten more yards. Ronnie is faster than Rudi, and even Carnell. Carnell is quicker than Ronnie, and both Ronnie and Carnell are quicker than Rudi. I haven't watched Rudi much in the NFL so I don't know how he's doing as a receiver, but Ronnie has great hands.

If I was building an offense, I would want to center it around Ronnie Brown.

Of all the great running backs we have had at AU, only one of them stands head and shoulders above the rest and could easily be called "the best."  We all know who that is.

Rudi, Carnell and Ronnie are all great backs...flip a coin for which one might be the best of the 3.

133633[/snapback]

No one is in Bo's league, but lets not forget Brent Fullwood (not a great pro, but great college player), James Brooks, William Andrews and Joe Cribbs-- all All-Pro. Oh, yeah, a little guy named Stephen Davis. And didn't Little Train make All-Pro one year as a kick returner?

Depends on the situation as to which one I would go with I guess.

If I was creating a football team, for one game, and I had to build it around my running back. I would choose Carnell. He is one of the very few backs that I believe can make something out of nothing. He is just so quick. Almost like a Barry Sanders type, can make anyone miss at any time.

With that being said, if I knew I already had a proven passer and team, I would choose Ronnie. Because of he adds another diminsion to the offense with his great hands.

Deciding between these two guys in impossible, and I don't believe you can go wrong with either one of them.

But in my opinion, Carnell is the more work-horse running back. Ronnie is more versatile in terms of offensive schemes.

Good luck in the future guys, I enjoyed every minute I got to watch ya'll represent Auburn.

Based on their average yards per carry, average yards per game, average number of carries per TD and 100-yard rushing games, here is Auburn's top ten runningbacks:

Bo Jackson

Carnell Williams

Stephen Davis

James Brooks

Brent Fullwood

Joe Cribbs

Rudi Johnson

James Bostic

Ronnie Brown

Lionel James

Auburn will have a good many of players in the backfield in the the NFL this upcoming year. Tony Richardson, Fred Beasly, Stephen Davis, Rudi Johnson, Carnell Williams, Ronnie Brown, and I think Heath Evans is still a backup in Seatle. I think we are well represented.

rudi went to a small virginia HS south of richmond.

Ettrick was the town ..... not sure of the school's name.

133714[/snapback]

Thanks. Just curious since I went to grad school at VT and worked for NASA in Hampton (Langley Field) for a couple of years right after I graduated from Auburn.

Hey PT,

I've got a good friend that went to VT undergrad and AU for grad school. I met him at AU. He said before the end of the season that his worst nightmare would be for VT to play AU and have to pick a side. :D

Intersting question. I think I would have to go with Ronnie Brown, but would be happy to have any of the three. Recall that Rudi was almost the whole offense, didn't have Borges. If memory serves, that was 2000, the year that Leard's arm was suspect. None of these backs fumbled much - I'd say Carnell dropped it the most, but we need to discount punt returns for this comparison.

To try and compare these three backs is totally useless. The reasons being (1) Rudi was expected to carry the entire load for the team when he played and we didn't have any other back in his class, (2) Both Ronnie and Carnell would have probably had Heisman figures IF they were not used equally for the good of the team, (3) If you predicated rating on running, blocking ability, pass catching, etc., each would be different. Ronnie was a better rounded back than any of them and a blocking, power back who could also catch the football, while Carnell was more of a slash runner not as strong in the areas mentioned for Ronnie. On the other hand, Rudi was not used much as a receiver. This all gets crazy because of those reasons. Lets just say each was a great back and we were fortunate to have each. Now lets move on to the next great back at Auburn. Who will it be? WDE!

To try and compare these three backs is totally useless. The reasons being  (1) Rudi was expected to carry the entire load for the team when he played and we didn't have any other back in his class, (2) Both Ronnie and Carnell would have probably had Heisman figures IF they were not used equally for the good of the team, (3) If you predicated rating on running, blocking ability, pass catching, etc., each would be different. Ronnie was a better rounded back than any of them and a blocking, power back who could also catch the football, while Carnell was more of a slash runner not as strong in the areas mentioned for Ronnie. On the other  hand, Rudi was not  used much as a receiver. This all gets crazy because of those reasons. Lets just say each was a great back and we were fortunate to  have each. Now lets move on to the next great back at Auburn. Who will it be? WDE!

133764[/snapback]

You said comparing them was useless, and then you did a pretty good job of comparing them. Good analysis! ;)

Archived