Obama administration blocking any Redskins move to D.C. over name, per report

AURaptor

Bald Eagles are off the endangered list, I believe.

Elephants and Rhinos, however...

Unfortunately, tigers are one of the MOST endangered species. :(

Tigers and elephants are not native to North America. Golden Eagles and Bald Eagles are and both are being taken better care of in the wild.

I never considered native range or a North American connection a factor when it came to team mascots. It is true that both types of eagles are doing better these days than the past, but are still protected. The golden eagle was never as threatened as a species as the bald eagle. There are varieties of golden eagles around the world, leaving biologists still in something of a quandary over how them are related in terms of taxonomy--are they separate species? Subspecies or something like races in homo sapiens/breeds in domestic canines? Or what?

Guys... let's keep the origin of War Eagle a closely guarded secret, at least until the current media generated whitewashing hysteria dies down. Should be any day now, I'm surprised and supremely disappointed its gone on this long.

Back on topic, the Redskins not being able to move back to RFK is fine by me. I get tired of seeing all these new stadiums built. What could possibly be so wrong with playing in a stadium that's been in existence for all of 18 years? Particularly when these teams are able to make these moves thanks to heavy taxpayer subsidies that never bring a ROI. That's called government propping up a private business, and we should all oppose it.

Additionally, while I despise the pansies and wish they'd leave that dead horse alone, if the land is federally owned, the federal government should determine who can purchase or lease it and under what terms- so long as no natural rights are being violated. That's the same standard I expect from them when it comes to our privately owned land, it seems only fitting to reciprocate.

The Washington Redskins have had the name since 1933. For some bureaucratic wanker to arbitrarily and unilaterally decide the team needs to change its name well exceeds their power.

This isn't Russia.

So, keep the name, and stay in your more than adequate current stadium. I do not want the name changed.

Exactly. No one is making them change their name. The only authority that can force a name change is the NFL, if that. No "bureaucratic wanker" is telling the football team it cannot call itself the "Redskins". Even the opening link said the site of RFK stadium was only "the site of one proposed new stadium." The Redskins have other options and are not trapped by some sort of bureaucratic "Change or die!" PC decree.

But if the D.C. or federal government decides it doesn't want its property associated with an offensive racial slur, I see no problem with that. Personally, I wouldn't want my government, founded on the principle that all men are created equal, to be associated with a team whose name might invoke the "N-word" either. ...Or any of the many ethnically offensive slang words for Jews, Italians, Poles, Latinos, Asians, etc., for that matter.

Archived