9.7GB/Possibly 32M user accounts hacked and posted online...

DKW 86

Guest NC1406

I hope this drives home that nothing, I mean nothing you put online is secure. Hacktivism is on the move and will only continue to grow.

Too bad they took down the site where you could search the dump. Wanted to see if there were any other familiar names on there.

I have a seldom used email that is on the site. A few years back it came out that a good friend had been using this site for affairs for a few years. I had never heard of the site. So I sat down and signed up to check it out. Good news is that my wife was in the room watching the process. So when my rarely used email is leaked, at least it will not involve attorney fees for me. I feel my only loss will be a former good friend.

I hope this drives home that nothing, I mean nothing you put online is secure. Hacktivism is on the move and will only continue to grow.

Too bad they took down the site where you could search the dump. Wanted to see if there were any other familiar names on there.

I have a seldom used email that is on the site. A few years back it came out that a good friend had been using this site for affairs for a few years. I had never heard of the site. So I sat down and signed up to check it out. Good news is that my wife was in the room watching the process. So when my rarely used email is leaked, at least it will not involve attorney fees for me. I feel my only loss will be a former good friend.

Eh, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

For giggles, I've remotely downloaded the dump on my home computer and will set up a LAMP stack when I get home just to get a glimpse.

Guest NC1406

Eh, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

For giggles, I've remotely downloaded the dump on my home computer and will set up a LAMP stack when I get home just to get a glimpse.

Definitely not worried about it, No plans to run for public office and I really don't care about what others might think if it were "discovered".

Hey, maybe Josh Duggar can move here and join in on the free for all here in good ole Alabamistan.

He would blend right in.

If i wasnt so close to retirement, i would move away from this backward as hell state.

Edited by DKW 86

Alabama "might" be first because its 1st on the list. If ppl were putting a fake State.

That's a pretty good point.

W

Alabama "might" be first because its 1st on the list. If ppl were putting a fake State.

Why would they put a fake state on User profile? Wouldnt that by definition defeat the whole purpose of the site? You cant find a chicka in CA if your profile says AL.

Remember that these are people that are PAYING to get a product.

Edited by DKW 86

W

Why would they put a fake state on User profile? Wouldnt that by definition defeat the whole purpose of the site? You cant find a chicka in CA if your profile says AL.

Hiding your real identity when you register is actually a pretty frequent practice, from what I've read.

W

Hiding your real identity when you register is actually a pretty frequent practice, from what I've read.

Yeah but hiding your identity when you're trying to score is self defeating. If you're in California looking for flings, then you're nothing to put down Alabama. Definitely if the site shows how many women living in your area that are also signed up.

W

Yeah but hiding your identity when you're trying to score is self defeating. If you're in California looking for flings, then you're nothing to put down Alabama. Definitely if the site shows how many women living in your area that are also signed up.

I don't think there's anything in there that makes it only location based. It's just a means to hooking up with other married people who want to have affairs discreetly. If you travel, you can meet up with people. Just name a place. The state/town listed is just what a public profile says.

W

How many of these accounts do you think might be fake? Possible the vast majority of fake ones picked the first state on the list.

W

How many of these accounts do you think might be fake? Possible the vast majority of fake ones picked the first state on the list.

Maybe so. I do think most of the sites have ways at guarding against spam sites though. Such sd the four letter codes.

I understand the idea, but the location is the whole thing here. I cant see you wanting to hide your location if you are an active user and these are the PAYING Users.

I guess the casual cruiser may want to hide their location, but these are people PAYING.

The graphic is AVG $$$/User. It is not TOTAL NUMBERS OF USERS.

A_chart_made_from_the-38e26b254ea3cee685f05a885e712bc4

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/chart-made-leaked-ashley-madison-223158662.html

Edited by DKW 86

I understand the idea, but the location is the whole thing here. I cant see you wanting to hide your location if you are an active user and these are the PAYING Users.

I guess the casual cruiser may want to hide their location, but these are people PAYING.

The graphic is AVG $$$/User. It is not TOTAL NUMBERS OF USERS.

A_chart_made_from_the-38e26b254ea3cee685f05a885e712bc4

http://finance.yahoo...-223158662.html

Right. But it still gets keyed to where the person claims to be from. If you used one of those prepaid credit cards, VISA gift card, etc, you can put any address you want down.

But also, location only matters to the degree that you and whoever is interested in you (and vice versa) can both get there. You might put a certain location in the public profile, but then divulge your real location to someone via private message. I'm just saying...folks signing up for something like this are going to put down fake addresses. A LOT.

https://drive.google...cXM&usp=sharing

3 Live within view of my house.

Only knew one of them in my home town tho.

They dont seem to be hiding their identities either. If they are, they suck at it.

Last comment: I am the most screwed up person i know. And i could see myself embarrassing myself doing something this embarrassing at some point. I am very very good at doing stupid stuff. I hope that these folks get/seek help. And if i knew one, i would be there now, offering some kind of sympathy. People in pain are where the most needs are. Everyone does stupid, these folks just got caught at it. Anyone of us could be next.

Edited by DKW 86

Yikes! I know someone on that list.

Titan, if they are hiding, they arent doing a very good job.

The guy in my home town owns several restaurants. Everybody knows that family.

Judging by the list, it does not appear that the list was made from people who chose Alabama only because it was the first choice in under the dropdown arrow. Nothing about the list seemed suspicious other than a few names not given or made up. Ideally, if people are going to choose the first state, then they would choose the first city as well. But the Huntsville's and the Mobile's on the list are just as lengthy as any city that starts with an A.

Edited by aujeff11

Also, if the drop down list uses the 2 Letter Abbreviations, then Alabama-AL would have been second. Alaska-AK would have been first.

The money spent on the site was crazy. I am assuming that the 2-3rd column was the money spent on the site by that cutomer. Some of the emails were just crazy.

They used their entire name in some of the emails. Others were in very poor taste.

likely have to do it on a pc if you aren't on one. It is a link to google. an iPhone might block it. Some smart phones likely can't handle it. It is a 78 page document.