Obama renames Mt. McKinely to Denali

AURaptor

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well this stinks!

Not only do I have to relearn history now I've got to relearn geography.

As Obi wan told Luke, truth depends upon a certain point of view. Half of what we're taught is BS anyways.

The vast majority of scientsists/astronomers thought for years that Pluto was a planet.

Well, they are the ones in the know. ;)

The vast majority of scientsists/astronomers thought for years that Pluto was a planet.

Not really the same. That only changed when the IAU got off their duffs and decided to formally define the term planet

Barrow.gif

Is it really warmer in Barrow AK?

Even without a mean line, there is an obviously discernible upward trend there.

By the way, one thing I love about Barrow is their High School football stadium.

barrow_football_field1.jpg

Awesome. That's the Arctic Ocean.

Why did they build a football field so close the water? And yes, it's known that temperatures do fluctuate, over time. This isn't news, and there's nothing we can do about it.

Well, they are the ones in the know. ;)/>

Not really the same. That only changed when the IAU got off their duffs and decided to formally define the term planet

They decided ? I guess nature doesn't always fit within man's well-defined limits, does it?

Why did they build a football field so close the water? And yes, it's known that temperatures do fluctuate, over time. This isn't news, and there's nothing we can do about it.

Who knows. I assume they had a good reason.

Temperatures do fluctuate over time, the difference is what forces these changes in temperature. We're the dominant one for the current rise. And we can do something about it.

They decided ? I guess nature doesn't always fit within man's well-defined limits, does it?

It's arbitrary, of course. They picked three criteria that most planets have in common. Pluto met two of the three, hence it's a dwarf planet.

Not really sure what you're getting at.

I went over to Fox News to see what their commenters thought.

http://www.foxnews.c...hat-focuses-on/

Comedy gold

Wow! You are quite easily amused there Ben. :dunno:/>

Scroll down to the comments. Look at the number calling for his impeachment over this.

It's pretty funny.

Comedy gold

Wow! You are quite easily amused there Ben. :dunno:/>

Scroll down to the comments. Look at the number calling for his impeachment over this.

It's pretty funny.

Ah. Totally missed that. Sadly, you are correct.

Comedy gold

Wow! You are quite easily amused there Ben. :dunno:

It's pretty funny.

Ah. Totally missed that. Sadly, you are correct.

There are a few calling for his assassination too. They're decidedly not funny.

If the state of Alaska ( meaning its citizens) have been officially referring to it as " Denali " for 40 years or more, what's the big deal? Probably one of Obama's better acts as President, I hate to admit.

The problem is that Obama really has done some impeachable things while he was in office, and his history of excusing, apologizing for, and belittling the United States of America just doesn't fall out too well with this decision.

President Obama announced Sunday that his administration is renaming Alaska’s Mount McKinley to Denali, the name that nearby natives have long used.

By taking action to officially name the 20,000-foot peak Denali, Obama is taking the Alaska Natives‘ side in a dispute that has stretched on for more than a century.

“Generally believed to be central to the Athabascan creation story, Denali is a site of significant cultural importance to many Alaska Natives,” the White House said in a Sunday fact sheet. “The name ‘Denali’ has been used for many years and is widely used across the state today.”

Interior Secretary Sally Jewell said the change recognizes that Denali is sacred to many Alaskans.

“The name Denali has been official for use by the State of Alaska since 1975, but even more importantly, the mountain has been known as Denali for generations,” said Jewell, who is responsible for the Board on Geographic Names, the federal body in charge of place names.

I had no idea it was the official state name for 40 years now.

What I don't understand is why Mr Global Warming President would go name a mountain in Alaska after an SUV ???

On principle I hate the move, because Obama did it, but Denali is a pretty cool name.

Wow, a little (unintended?) candor.

Comedy gold

Well, I'd be pretty upset too if I were from Ohio and one of my state's native sons had just been dissed.

Missed the 'comedy gold' from the link. The FOX announcers simply reported the news. :gofig:

How would you feel if come itinerant prospector came through your state and re-named one of your sacred places after a politician?

And I thought it was funny also - the lack of such perspective made it sound like a parody.

If the state of Alaska ( meaning its citizens) have been officially referring to it as " Denali " for 40 years or more, what's the big deal? Probably one of Obama's better acts as President, I hate to admit.

The problem is that Obama really has done some impeachable things while he was in office, and his history of excusing, apologizing for, and belittling the United States of America just doesn't fall out too well with this decision.

It seems a strange move but certainly not impeachment worthy.

Well this stinks!

Not only do I have to relearn history now I've got to relearn geography.

As Obi wan told Luke, truth depends upon a certain point of view. Half of what we're taught is BS anyways.

In your case, I'd say it was a good deal more than half. <_<

Why? Because 1) consensus is not science. That is why. There's 2) far too much smoke and fire to ignore this isn't a political driven issue. It undeniably is.

1) Correct. Science is science. Consensus is a term connoting the level of agreement. I the case of AGW, there is a consensus of scientific experts in the field who claim AGW is all too real.

2) And exactly who is generating all this "smoke and fire" and why?

Archived