Thursday night games

tigermac

Since 1981, we are 8-2 in Thursday night games (5-1 on the road). I personally always like the Thursday games, it's kinda the college version of MNF, where all eyes are on the two teams playing that night.

We have certainly played some very memorable games on Thursdays in the past. My personal favorite is the 2000 win against Wyoming, which was the start of an SEC West title season. That game was memorable to me as the debut of Rudi Johnson and his insane 70 yard TD run that put the game away late in the 4th quarter. With all the gloom lately I thought this would be a fun thread to get us excited for the short game week. What are your favorite memories of AU's Thursday night games?

Since 1981, we are 8-2 in Thursday night games (5-1 on the road). I personally always like the Thursday games, it's kinda the college version of MNF, where all eyes are on the two teams playing that night.

We have certainly played some very memorable games on Thursdays in the past. My personal favorite is the 2000 win against Wyoming, which was the start of an SEC West title season. That game was memorable to me as the debut of Rudi Johnson and his insane 70 yard TD run that put the game away late in the 4th quarter. With all the gloom lately I thought this would be a fun thread to get us excited for the short game week. What are your favorite memories of AU's Thursday night games?

one of my favorite AU plays, that run

Beating FSU in the game where we drowned out their chant again and again. Resulted in them cancelling the series. Last second fg won the game.

I wasn't at the game but in AU on wire road and we ran outside to hear the crowd roar from the fg. It was awesome!

K-state game last year was a great Thursday night game. For being in the middle of nowhere, lots of people showed up in Manhattan, KS for that game including myself. I do have to admit, before that trip I did not know there was a Manhattan, KS. :)

Thursday night games are an opportunity for programs that need exposure to get on TV. That was AU awhile back, but not now so I don't see AU playing on Thursday nights at home anytime soon. However, AU away games on Thursday night are a good sell to the networks so it will happen a lot when our opponents want it to happen. At Clemson in 2017 or at California in 2021 are good possibilities.

Beating Carolina where we held the ball the entire 3rd quarter. 2006 I believe.

rudi Johnson. Rudi Johnson RUDI JOHNSON RUDI JOHNSON!! TOUCH DOWN!!

Kentucky in either 1994 or 1995. Their qb ran a PA pass with a bootleg to the right. Our DT obliterated him as he threw, we picked off the pass and returned it for a TD. We won big.

^This

I seem to remember we took the second half kickoff for a long time consuming td drive. And then recovered an onside pooch kind of kick off. and finished the 3rd quarter with a second td drive.

Funny what is remembered. I think we only had one offensive series in the 4th qtr of that game. Kenny Irons barely made it in the end zone on the 4th down call. They very nearly beat us.

I was at the USCe Thursday night game. The USCe fan's cheered the Cocks leaving the field at halftime. Spurrier went off on the fans and said something like don't cheer us at halftime, wait until then end of the game and cheer us if we win.

Gonna have to go with the 2000 season opener against Wyoming, also. Two things that stand out are Rudi's introduction, and one of the hardest pops I can remember courtesy of Roshard Gilyard. I can still hear that hit.

Funny what is remembered. I think we only had one offensive series in the 4th qtr of that game. Kenny Irons barely made it in the end zone on the 4th down call. They very nearly beat us.

24-17. Here is the write up

http://espn.go.com/college-football/recap?gameId=262712579

I seem to recall thumping moo state in a thursday game once in stark vegas where we were up big and tubbs went for a fake fg or something. Maybe 2002?

Yep. I was at that game with my soon to be wife who was a student at MSU at the time. We left after the game was put away and went back to her apartment just in time for AU to score again. That was a nice win.

Scarbinsky wrote an article before last year's Thursday night game vs K State that proclaimed "Thursday night is where top 10 teams go to die". Our coaching staff therefore clearly deserve congratulations for their foresight this year. :bow:

WHAT A RUN!

Kentucky in either 1994 or 1995. Their qb ran a PA pass with a bootleg to the right. Our DT obliterated him as he threw, we picked off the pass and returned it for a TD. We won big.

I was at this game too. My wife and I were headed to the beach after the game. After the game we went back to my truck that was parked in the field, now student housing, and someone had stolen my cooler full of drinks and food. Will never forget that.

WHAT A RUN!

No kidding. Awesome run... Mike Tirico even prefaced the play by saying that out could change at any moment before he busts through those tackles

WHAT A RUN!

No kidding. Awesome run... Mike Tirico even prefaced the play by saying that out could change at any moment before he busts through those tackles

Thanks for posting that. I hadn't watched that in a long time. Brings back some good memories!

I'm ready to see PB do the same come Thursday night!

Gonna have to go with the 2000 season opener against Wyoming, also. Two things that stand out are Rudi's introduction, and one of the hardest pops I can remember courtesy of Roshard Gilyard. I can still hear that hit.

Yep, that's the one where the opponent's helmet was knocked off and landed several feet away on the sidelines.

I was at this game too. My wife and I were headed to the beach after the game. After the game we went back to my truck that was parked in the field, now student housing, and someone had stolen my cooler full of drinks and food. Will never forget that.

I was there as well. What I remember was jumping off a UK fan who's car battery had died. Also, both games vs. Virginia were on Thursday nights. Won up there in '97 but lost at home in '98. However, I would say my most memorable Thursday game was vs. Ole Miss in 1993. Auburn had a 16-0 lead in the fourth quarter and held on to win 16-12. I had no idea at the time what we had in store for us for the remainder of the '93 season.

Archived